1. Entertainment

CW Exec Professes Support for Supernatural

By January 22, 2008

Paul McGuire, Executive Vice President for Network Communications at The CW.
Paul McGuire, Executive Vice President for Network Communications at The CW.
© CBS
My inbox hurts. The news that Reaper was replacing Supernatural on The CW's schedule, in the time-slot following Smallville, caused a tempest of emails and comments surprising only in its magnitude. I've received more mail on this than I've gotten on other big fan stories, like the cancellation of Journeyman and the killing off of Carson Beckett ... combined.

The reason is clear. The CW has never been big on promoting Supernatural (compared to its promotion of, say, One Tree Hill or even Smallville), and – even though we're only talking about reruns – the complete removal of Supernatural from the network schedule can hardly be construed as a gesture of support. Fans of the show worldwide, justifiably objecting to Reaper being pushed at Supernatural's expense, have responded with a roar of disapproval and threats to boycott the network entirely once Supernatural burns off the four remaining new episodes over the next month.

My request to The CW for comment on the fan outrage elicited this brief response from Paul McGuire, The CW's network communications executive:

"The CW is very supportive of Supernatural and continues to be. The show continues to deliver strong episodes viewers like yourself have embraced. The move to air encores of Reaper Thursdays at 9 is an attempt to get sampling for that show, which is in its first season, unlike Supernatural, which is a proven veteran."

Out of this the second sentence is certainly true: Supernatural continues to be strong, well written, well produced, and well acted. That's why we love the show. The issue isn't whether the show's any good; the issue is how the network is treating it.

The thrust of the balance of the statement is that Supernatural, a "proven veteran," has already established itself, and should allow the newcomer, Reaper, to "gain additional exposure" (in the words of a different press release) from the helpful Smallville lead-in.

Though Reaper has gotten a lot of positive press and some of the best buzz of any new show this season, network concern about Reaper's ratings is understandable: during the fall it co-led new CW series (with Gossip Girls, natch) in ratings but ranked near the bottom among new shows overall and in its time-slot, according to analysis at TV by the Numbers. (One must remember that The CW has a more limited exposure than the other broadcast nets, so ranking fifth isn't surprising, all other things being equal.)

Supernatural's fan base has been giving the show consistent ratings of 3 million viewers an episode, according to Nielsen research. Reaper's numbers have been slightly lower, around 2.5 million by late fall.

So the number-driven decision is try to to help Reaper. Unfortunately, The CW chose to do so by sending a message that they do not support their proven veteran, Supernatural: they didn't shift it to a different slot, they pulled it. I cannot understand what Mr. McGuire means by "very supportive" in light of that decision.

It's great that you're supporting Reaper, CW programming execs, but when it comes to Supernatural, two facts remain beautifully clear:
  1. Taking the show off the air is taking the show off the air. It's that simple.
  2. The only way to demonstrate that you support Supernatural is to put it on your schedule.

Comments

January 22, 2008 at 10:00 pm
(1) OZZIE CHICO says:

The problem that the CW Network has, is that Supernatural has gotten to big for the low rated CW NETWORK. Supernatural has many more fans world wide than the net that it’s on. The CW in my opinion can keep both Reaper and Gossip Girl…and just let SPN plant it’s bad seeds on the SCI-FI network

January 22, 2008 at 10:04 pm
(2) OZZIE CHICO says:

The problem is that Supernatural has gotten to big for the low rated network. So SPN needs to go to a better network like the SCI-FI Channel.

January 22, 2008 at 10:59 pm
(3) Dean's Bitch says:

If the CW insists on running low-rated Reaper opposite LOST in SPN’s former time-slot, that’s fine with me – but, do they really think that Reaper will do better than Supernatural against LOST?! I want some of what the CW execs are smoking. Just put the Winchester boyz (re-runs or not) SOMEWHERE, anywhere, on the schedule. Geez!

January 22, 2008 at 11:01 pm
(4) KandKL says:

Thanks for the insightful article. Couldn’t agree with you more. I understand the need to promote Reaper, I really do. But, why remove Supernatural all together? Put it on on Sunday nights, for goodness sake, it’ll pull the same numbers. Supernatural fans are ridiculously dedicated. We’ll watch when it’s on.

It’s nice to see someone agree with us–most journalists/alternate parties have been condescending to our reaction to the schedule change. It’s getting old.

January 23, 2008 at 12:05 am
(5) tee says:

Ozzie… thats exactly what I’ve been saying for a wile now. Supernatural & Smallville seem so out of place on CW if you look at all the shows that they would rather support, then its two strongest shows. I don’t know why kripke didn’t just take it to sci-fi in the first place. Sci fi or Space in vancouver/toronto, support Supernatural way more and its not even their show.

A lot of people I have talked to outside of the fandom, have told me that they are sick of shows like OTH, and Gossip girl, and brainless junk like reaper. They really like stuff that they can get into, that they can have fun speculating about.. builds up excitement. Thats what SN does. its got its own mythology to it, and thats what more and more people are starting to enjoy.

January 23, 2008 at 1:07 am
(6) Joan says:

Thanks for your report and insight. I would like to take the CW at its word that it is “very supportive” of Supernatural but like you, I don’t see the evidence to support that statement. I do understand the network’s need to see if it can generate more viewers for Reaper but find baffling it’s failure to make any real effort to grow Supernatural’s audience.

As Mr. McGuire acknowledges, Supernatural is a show that has demonstrated the ability to hold an extremely loyal and passionate fan base and it has done so in the toughest time slot on television. This despite the fact that the vast majority of people watching tv have never even heard of Supernatural. I’m a big tv viewer and had no idea Supernatural even existed until a friend mentioned it. Luckily for me I was one of those rare tv fans whose Thursday night dance card wasn’t already beyond full so I gave it a shot. Why not at least give Supernatural a chance to reach new fans away from the brutal Thursday night competition (coupled with some actual promotion) while the Writer’s Strike has everyone on the hunt for things they haven’t already watched?

I also found the wording of Mr. McGuire’s response a bit odd. I certainly agree that Supernatural continues to put out “strong episodes that viewers like [us] have embraced” but that seems a long way from the effusive press releases the CW regularly generates for Gossip Girl and Reaper (not to mention their “interesting” slate of reality shows). I certainly hope I am wrong and that the CW genuinely does value and support Supernatural. Time will tell whether the CW’s actions in fact back up Mr. McGuire’s words.

January 23, 2008 at 2:15 am
(7) tee says:

Definitely. CW isn’t supporting the show. IF they were… why are vague blogs that mention it maybe twice, get granted the set visits, and interviews and sneakpeaks? yet they don’t do anything for the huge fansites that work hard. Most of us never even hear of the blogs that get the set visits, until they actually post the story about it AFTER.

If they were really supportive of the show and it’s fans, shouldn’t sites like us get acknowledged? I’ve even asked people at the CW for a chat about all this, and we’ve never been responded to. We offered them a chance to speak out.

If they granted stuff for the huge hardworking fan sites more often, that would at least give us a glimmer of hope that they are supporting the show and its fans, if they expect us to support the station.

January 23, 2008 at 3:24 am
(8) n.m. says:

Exactly!! Thank you!! This is a perfect opportunity t try the show in a different slot to expose it to a different batch of viewers other than those being incrementally subdivided in the timeslot of death. Hell, replay first and second season episodes on weekends, anything! This pulling the show completely is heinous, ill-advised and a signifier of how short-viewed the CW exec genuinely is. What can be expected from a network betting it’s future on reality shows like “Farmer Needs a Wife” for pete’s sake!

January 23, 2008 at 4:00 am
(9) immie_8 says:

The issue isn’t whether the show’s any good; the issue is how the network is treating it.

Well said, Mr. Wilson, well said. If what The CW does for SN right now, promotion-wise, (barely anything) is considered “very supportive” by their standards, then man, I dread to think of what they do (or probably more appropriately don’t do) for the shows that they are only “supportive” of. The CW’s treatment of this quality show has been absolutely appauling, especially considering the timeslot that it’s in. It’s a quality show like SN that could put The CW on the map, unfortunately, I don’t know if they’ll ever recognize this. *sigh*

January 23, 2008 at 4:56 am
(10) Kayla says:

You know, I’ve been saying this all along. The CW can say they support it all they want but pulling it from the lineup and promoting it only on Thursdays is not supporting it! Supernatural deserves way more credit than the CW has given it. It brings in far more viewers than really any other show (with the exception of Smallville, whose ratings have gone down) on the weak network.
I say, get your heads out of your asses and put your best show back in the lineup! It’ll not only make the fans happy but it’ll keep your network from flatlining.

January 23, 2008 at 4:57 am
(11) cindy says:

I read on another site (can’t recall which one) that the schedule for the remaining new episodes will have an additional repeat of Nightshifter on the 14th at 8 pm in Smallville’s timeslot. I know it’s a small gesture, but it is encouraging that they are rerunning a second season episode right before a new one. Two episodes in one night – not bad ;-)
While it is nice to see someone at the CW say something positive about the show, I agree they need to DO more – like someone above said, promote the blogs and do something like they are doing for Gossip Girl next week – they are running all of the episodes in one day or something and having interviews and recaps and other features. Why not push that for SPN – they may be pleasantly surprised at how many new viewers they could get for a fourth season. Strip the episodes every night from the beginning- the schedule isn’t that full now with the strike. Or if the strike is resolved and shows are able to come back with a few new ones, wait until summer and run the first two seasons. Build up some momentum and hype for it. Why Jared and Jensen aren’t noticed by the industry more is baffling to me. They do amazing work on that show and everyone who has ever worked on the crew or guested on the show has nothing but praise for them, not only for their talent, but for the familial atmosphere of the set.
SPN deserves so much more recognition and promotion. The CW could have made it their signature show and attracted more quality dramas like it – it could have been like the heyday of the WB with Buffy and Angel and other quality dramas with buzz.

January 23, 2008 at 9:50 am
(12) Vicki says:

Thank you for eloquently stating what many of us are thinking. CW execs have repeatedly shown that they are happy with the strike because it might bring more viewers to their network and their shows will be able to gain a bigger fan base. It does not show support for Supernatural to deny the show that opportunity.

But even beyond that, pulling Supernatural runs counter to their goal of increasing the CW fanbase. It is not the ‘reality TV’ viewers who will be looking for something new to watch. The major networks will continue to have enough of that nonsense to keep their fingers off of the remote’s channel button. The viewers who might check out the CW are the ones who love scripted shows like Law and Order, and CSI, and Boston Legal, and Brothers and Sisters…Farmer Wants a Wife and Pussycat Dolls will not win them over to the CW. Those shows will only reinforce their already less than flattering views of the network. Supernatural? Supernatural is the type of quality show that would grab them. Unfortunately, Supernatural will be missing in action. That’s not just the show’s loss, it’s the CW’s.

January 23, 2008 at 10:16 am
(13) tina says:

words are easy …actions speak louder!! and i totally agree with everybody taking SUPERNATURAL off completely is not support!!
i can understand wanting to help REAPER but not at the expense of the best show they have…

January 23, 2008 at 10:26 am
(14) hermitme says:

While I understand the need for the CW to promote Reaper, and I have no problem with that, I do wish it would at least show some of SN’s S1 and S2 episode repeats on other nights, say, Tuesday nights? That way, if Reaper does decent after Smallville, then move SN to Tuesdays nights after something worthy.

It’s a great little show and I do believe that it can stand on it’s own two feet without Smallville, since I feel we’ve outgrown SV’s lead in, in the sense it doesn’t really affect our ratings.

So, yeah promote Reaper all you want, but also promote Supernatural, because it also needs attention.

January 23, 2008 at 11:03 am
(15) vacelts says:

Thanks for the insight. I just wish that CW treated its “established veteran” with more respect. Supernatural is clearly one of the best shows out there right now.

I’m dealing with the hiatus by reading the Supernatural novel series. I just finished the first book, “Supernatural: Nevermore.” You can find my review at: http://redlightnaps.wordpress.com/2008/01/21/supernatural-nevermore/

January 23, 2008 at 1:40 pm
(16) Rebecca says:

I love Supernatural. I haven’t seen Reaper and don’t plan to. I have absolutely no interest at all in Gossip Girl (way too trashy just from the commercials) or OTH (also very trashy from the commercials). It’s irritating that we’ve had to wait so long for Smallville and Supernatural to air new episodes. The only time I ever watch CW is for Smallville and Supernatural and once those shows are pulled I will no longer view CW. Perhaps, another channel will pick up Supernatural. I followed Stargate SG-1 from FOX to SCiFi–maybe Supernatural can move to a network that will appreciate it.

January 23, 2008 at 2:48 pm
(17) StillWaters says:

Word on that, Mr. Wilson.

On the other hand, any praise of our show, seemingly nebulous, is better than nothing at all (wow, how’s that for emotional abuse – we’re to the groveling stage!). As with other Supernatural fans, I don’t see how Reaper can possibly withstand this new timeslot. If the CW really wants to showcase the series, they should add it to the Thursday 8:00 timeslot instead, which, IMO, is more befitting of this genre.
Thank you for your article; it does provide a measure of comfort.

January 23, 2008 at 3:33 pm
(18) Robin says:

Season 3 of SUPERNATURAL has, I believe, garnered new viewers for the show. I think it a bad idea to remove it from the schedule entirely and make these new viewers wonder if it’s been canceled, is it coming back–and out of sight, out of mind. Instead, how about starting with the pilot of SUPERNATURAL and showing the episodes from the very beginning? I don’t begrudge the CW trying to find an audience for REAPER, but it seems to me they’re doing it at the expense of SUPERNATURAL. There has to be a way to keep both programs on the air.

January 23, 2008 at 3:34 pm
(19) susannah eanes says:

I think his remarks remove all doubt: The CW Network is too stupid for Supernatural.

My husband and I both called the network to voice our disapproval of this proposed decision, as well as writing letters and sending cards. I will be among those boycotting the CW if it is removed from the schedule and is not aired, and will encourage others to do the same, at the forums, on my LJ and my blog. Meanwhile, I’ll be watching downloaded episodes and DVDs of all the previous seasons, and continuing to support the fandom.

Supernatural deserves a smarter network.

January 23, 2008 at 4:13 pm
(20) Kam says:

Cheers to everything said thus far. I’ve nothing new to add, just putting my voice out there with the many.

January 23, 2008 at 4:31 pm
(21) Matt M says:

this sucks, i just got into the show and now they’re getting rid of it, come on

January 23, 2008 at 4:55 pm
(22) Jennifer L. Ricketts-Curran says:

Thanks for the info. It’s nice that someone recognizes that Supernatural shouldn’t be denied re-runs. Fine, give Reaper Thrusdays, but give Supernatural another night then!

January 23, 2008 at 6:39 pm
(23) Mary D. says:

Thank you, Mark: you nailed it. The only way to demonstrate that you support Supernatural is to put it on your schedule.

And since the CW declines to reach out to fan websites or to post anything informative or promising concerning Supernatural even on its own website, Mr. McGuire’s “supportiveness” rings hollow.

January 23, 2008 at 9:38 pm
(24) Ughi says:

Thank you for sharing this information and taking notice of a good, but often overlooked show. I agree with your last two points 100%. Actions speak louder than words CW.

January 23, 2008 at 9:49 pm
(25) Mel says:

Supportive? Supportive how? By holding the door? By smiling when they say don’t let the door hit you on your way out?

Of course I prefer that SN stay on the air in reruns, but all it would really take for me to believe Mr. McGuire is a return date –how long do I have to wait for Supernatural to be back??? A little more enthusiam and actual promotion of this fabulous show is obviously too much to hope for.

January 23, 2008 at 10:36 pm
(26) J. T. says:

Thank you, Mark. You said it all–perfectly!

CW’s execs have resented their splendid WB stepchild from the outset. Why? Because their own miserable progeny have never been able to attract the same level of intense dedication and powerful support from viewers. Burdened by a lousy track record, the CW execs needed to show their bosses that they, too, can generate a runaway scifi/cult hit. So what do they do? First, they air an idiotic parody of “Supernatural” (even stealing the name of Sam). Then they promote it in a way they’ve never promoted the far more worthy stepchild. Next, they push “Supernatural” out of its timeslot, putting “Reaper” in its place, and remove “the veteran” from the public eye by taking it off the schedule entirely. The most ludicrous part? They actually believe “Supernatural” fans will shift their their loyalty to “Reaper.”

Sorry, execs. The glass slipper is never going to fit your ugly, stupid spawn. The moment “Supernatural” leaves the CW, so will I and a whole lot of others.

January 24, 2008 at 12:05 am
(27) SW says:

CW is very supportive of Supernatural?
How, exactly? Last week’s Smallville episode didn’t even have a promo commercial for Red Sky at Morning (the SPN ep immediately following it), they just ran the generic green Supernatural ad from fall 2006. AFAIK, there is no generic SPN ad for this season, another example of CW’s ‘support’ for its best show.
Webster’s definition of ‘profess’ is “to lay claim to, often insincerely, to pretend”, so I’d say you nailed CW’s attitude with your headline.

January 24, 2008 at 1:17 am
(28) JoAnne says:

Let’s see, I emailed CW expressing what so many above have expressed. My devotion to, imo, the best show on TV – Supernatural. No cookie cutter plots, no cardboard cutout actors here! Instead, an intriging, unique, fresh show, with amazing, amazing actors who have truly brought the characters, Sam and Dean to life.

What did I get in return? A CW Feedback email titled, “The CW: A Pleasant Gossip Girl Surprise.”

Supernatural has a strong fan base all over the world who wouldn’t mind seeing reruns of any season on any night. Also, like has been stated before, start the reruns from the pilot on and gain a whole bunch of new fans.

Little, if any, promotion for this show and yet, we are still here and still strong because this is a show that is worth our devotion.
It is a high quality show because Eric Kripke, Jared, Jensen and the cast and crew care. It is because they care, that we are here and here to stay.

January 24, 2008 at 2:48 am
(29) West says:

I hang out on some of the boards, and Robin (post 17?) is right, a lot of new veiwers already think its being canceled, rather than placed on hiatus.

The CW has never shown any support for the show, they don’t deserve to have it. Add my name to the boycott list.

January 24, 2008 at 3:04 am
(30) erika says:

I’m new to Supernatural but I’ve quickly come to realise that it’s one of the best shows around; well wrritten, acted and directed. I don’t understand why CW don’t realise what a gem that have and promote the hell out of it. And as for not running re-runs, well it’s just mad.I got hooked in on re-runs, don’t they want new viewers?

January 24, 2008 at 4:02 am
(31) Mousitsa says:

Mark, I wholeheartedly agree with the two facts you state. It’s sad to see a first-class show being treated like a second-class citizen. Although I have no objection to the schedule musical chairs during this strike in an effort to see what other times may or may not work, I cannot logically justify the complete removal of Supernatural, the second-highest rated scripted drama for CW next to Smallville. Why target Supernatural? Do they hate their red-headed step-child that much? I don’t see them removing Smallville to give some other weak show a chance. Was there no other time on the schedule for it?

I have no hard feelings for Reaper since it’s just trying to survive by gaining from some extra exposure. But doesn’t the “proven veteran” who has held its own in the Thurs death slot for two years deserve a chance at some additional exposure as well at a time when people might actually be seeking out something they haven’t seen before? There are 50 excellent episodes to pick from for reruns. But then again, it would be just the luck of Supernatural to be moved to Reaper’s spot and have to face off against NEW episodes of Idol (rather than reruns of something else). But even THAT is better than complete removal!

But out of sight means out of mind. If this is Mr. McGuire’s definition of “very supportive” I shudder to think what he does when he decides to be “unsupportive.” Someone throw some holy water on the man because seriously, demonic possession is the only thing that can explain such illogical thinking.

And while we’re at it, you may want to let Mr. McGuire know that he should look into the CW All Access Pass weekly emails. Finding a mention of Supernatural there is worse than a game of Where’s Waldo… it’s practically non-existent, and considering new episodes are coming up, it should be plastered all over. Yeah, thanks for the “support”!

January 24, 2008 at 6:21 am
(32) Eva says:

So, letís see if I understand this right… SN doesn’t need any extra promotion because it is a proven veteran? Gosh, let me put my suspension of disbelief into full force while I try to make sense of that convoluted argument! By definition, Smallville is more of a proven veteran with 7 seasons versus 3 so put IT on hiatus since they’re shutting down after next season anyways; put Reaper in THAT spot and leave SN alone!! If McGuire honestly believes that CW is being “very supportive”, then Iíve got some swamp land to sell him. But wait… maybe they WANT to get rid of SN because they can no longer stand to deal with fans who actually have and like to use their brains when watching a show. A well-written, well-acted show with an underlying theme of the importance of family, and which presents much deeper social issues than which teen this week is cheating with her best friend’s boyfriend. A show so deep in layers and themes that analyzing and discussing it goes way beyond the typical teen “omg! Jill & Bob are soooo cute together! oh no, Bill & Sue broke up!” No, no, we can’t have a smart audience, we just want mindless sheep as viewers grazing on whatever mediocrity we can offer (Crowned, Farmer, et al) who will just sit back and take it all in without uttering a word. Can’t have any fans with any intelligence who will bug us with letters and e-mails and phone calls whenever we try to take a quality show and CW-ize it to the lowest common denominator (like that Girls of Thursday crap). You really want to prove that you are “very supportive” Mr. McGuire? Actions speak louder than words. SN needs to stay on the schedule and thus keep some semblance of class on the air.

January 24, 2008 at 9:23 am
(33) CL says:

Wow! Eva that was heartfelt! I agree with most of what you say but I also think that risking alienating the execs over at CW might not be the right tactic. The comment about Smallville is right on though, and a fantastic idea-Smallville will always have its audience now, and needs no promotion. The same cannot yet be said for SN, whatever the execs seem to feel. I would love to see them use the strike to the advantage of the show that could really make their network great if they try harder to bring it to a bigger audience. If you ask me, the CW is just lucky to have inherited two such fantastic shows – it’s one of the main reasons why they are currently punching above their weight in comparison with other, much larger networks.

January 24, 2008 at 2:38 pm
(34) Eva says:

“Alienating the execs”, CL? What about them alienating us?? WE are the reason that THEY exist!!! For some strange reason they can’t seem to grasp the fact that SN has an audience that spans from 15 to 85. Instead, they continue to focus on their coveted 18-25 demographic who aren’t really the ones in a position to be able to afford half the things that their advertisers are trying to promote. I, for one, would like to be shown some appreciation and respect for my part in supporting and promoting their show. Removing this quality show is not the way to do it. Too bad I’m out of their coveted demo, therefore I am a “nobody” for them. So sad!!

January 24, 2008 at 2:53 pm
(35) Chelce says:

The CW is a struggling network whose impending doom has been predicted in a number of publications. Yet, the network chooses to anger and alienate its strongest fanbase? That’s not just poor business sense; it’s suicide.

January 24, 2008 at 3:16 pm
(36) Caryn says:

I am glad at least someone realizes that we the fans don’t like our Supernatural messed with. This is an awesome show with incredible actors and crew who truly love working on this show. How can you just take it off the air and replace it with Reaper? At least put it in a different time-slot so that we can watch the repeats of season 1 or season 2. No matter how much you spin it, taking Supernatural off the air is not supporting the show.

January 24, 2008 at 6:01 pm
(37) Michele says:

And this is why we have nothing but contempt for this network.

We would LOVE to like the executives – but that proves impossible. I wish another network would pick up Supernatural, like what happened with Buffy – and wasn’t that the SAME NETWORK? They screwed up with Buffy (which continues to have a devoted following spending MILLIONS on merchandise), and now they’re doing the same with Supernatural.

Frankly, the show deserves to be on a more focused, less SLOPPY, network.

I’m embarrassed for those in charge of the network, and I feel terrible that Jared and Jensen are there. Anywhere else – even FOX – and they’d be huge stars by now.

The CW – WB, whatever the hell name it’s going by now (doesn’t matter, it’ll be a new name in 5 years), has been sliding downhill quite steadily for years now.

It’s contemptuous, and all we can really do is hope the show is picked up by another network.

January 24, 2008 at 11:59 pm
(38) Wanda Tehluaulf says:

It’s trite but true: Actions speak louder than words. The CW would do well to remember that.

January 25, 2008 at 5:40 pm
(39) Barry says:

I never liked that McGuire thing. He said some negative things about the equally brilliant Everwood too. I don’t think anyone there knows how to do their job properly. That’s why the network is bombing like it is.

Support SN CW!. It’s your Buffy. Your X Files. They don’t seem to know what they got. They certainly don’t have it in Gossip Girl or Reaper.

January 25, 2008 at 7:14 pm
(40) Donna says:

The CW’s support is lukewarm at best- surely in a sea of repeats there is an hour somewhere for “Supernatural”.
True support for the show would be repeating the best episodes from all three seasons to let new viewers discover this wonderful show for the first time while there is a dearth of new programming.
To remove it from the schedule completely is a slap in the face of the dedicated fanbase that has supported the show all this time, and I hope the CW will re-consider this decision.

January 26, 2008 at 2:09 am
(41) lise says:

I almost spit out my water when I read that the CW considers themselves supportive of suoernatural!! Supportive how exactly?

I watched the CW tonight for an hour and must have seen 4-5 commercials for Gossip Girl & 3 for the Pussycat Dolls thing and even for OTH. Where was Supernatural in all that? No where to be seen is where! Showing commercials for them while they’re on isn’t support. CW–you should be ashamed of yourselves!Supernatural is your strongest show and any smart person would do what was necessary to promote it & make their network strong and most of all more money. Obviously the CW is being run by non-thinking people.

January 26, 2008 at 2:48 am
(42) MOUSITSA says:

Ok, CW’s ratings are never “stellar” by a long shot, especially in repeats. But I feel an urge to point out a few little ratings numbers from just this past week to Mr. McGuire. … A Gossip Girl repeat got a 1.15 on Wednesday. Crowned’s NEW airing got a 1.46. A Reaper repeat on Tuesday got 1.54. And what was Supernatural’s repeat, you may wonder? 1.86.

umm, do I need to invite a rocket scientist to join us to point out the obvious? I realize the numbers aren’t great, but there IS a noticeable pattern, which can be seen if a similar comparison is made from other weeks as well. FOX is taking advantage by shuffling Bones & House to various nights and even showing some of the better past season episodes. NBC did the same with Chuck. And despite its success, ABC replays Grey’s on Friday nights. The big networks “get it” … taking advantage of the lull to entice new viewers to some of their better shows.

And a clever move with the remaining 4 episodes of SN would have been to return with the next new episode (#3-09) either one week BEFORE or one week AFTER the premiere of Lost. Lost has been missing from the schedule for a while now therefore its return is much anticipated for its fans and curious onlookers are bound to tune in as well. It will blow everything out of the water that night. But the huge interest of premiere will not likely fully carry over to the following week. It would have been a great strategic move to do some creative scheduling and give SN a bit of an edge. Either CW is SO confident in Supernatural facing Lost’s premiere or it doesn’t care if it is sacrificed at its alter.

On the successful WB, Supernatural would have been in perfect company with Buffy, Angel, and even Charmed. On the CW it truly IS the red-headed step-child.

Do the RIGHT thing… truly show SUPPORT… and LEAVE IT ON THE SCHEDULE!

January 26, 2008 at 2:54 pm
(43) LindsayW says:

Thank your for your thoughtful comments. Out of site is certainly not out of mind for these fans and we will make certain that the CW knows they are making a huge mistake by leaving Supernatural off the mid-season schedule.

January 27, 2008 at 5:46 pm
(44) stephanie says:

Supernatural is a fantastic show which has won me over with the pilot, I can only imagine the many new fans that COULD be won over if they were exposed to this show with promotion and EXCHANGE time slots with reaper, we have so many shows why not a marathon? that would definately catch some fresh eyes who have been deprived of this show! The worst possible thing to do is completly remove SUPERNATURAL from the CW schedule!How is that considered supporting? I think you are making a huge mistake and hope you reconsider.

January 28, 2008 at 9:51 pm
(45) Heather says:

This article says it all. Not ONE OTHER show on the CW was yanked off the air except Supernatural. That, to me, does NOT show that the show is supported. To me it says we don’t care what happens to the show. Well let me tell you, Sn fans are super passionate about their show and will NOT let it go away without a fight. Bring on the rock salt!!!!

January 28, 2008 at 11:06 pm
(46) dktamom says:

Big Time Jeers to the CW for removing Supernatural from the midseason line up!!!Supernatural is top drawer all the way!!
The show has everything! Not only does the show have good looking, talented actors it has some of the best writing and directing seen on a TV show in a long time. Supernatural has family values as its core,but yet at the same time Supernatural is a smart, entertaining, action packed thrill ride. The camaraderie of the 2 stars of the show is genuine and one of the things that makes the show the great show that it is. You just canít fake chemistry like that!
The show also has some of the funniest scenes that I have seen on a show in a long time.The production crew that adds the classic rock tunes to the show really does a great job of pulling it all together,and let’s not forget the special effects people who do an awesome job delivering top notch effects for the show every week.
Supernatural is by far the only first rate show on the anything but first rate network The CW.I just can’t believe that the network doesn’t even promote this wonderful show, and now they are removing it from the schedule for a so called hiatus.
Why would they take off a show with such a strong fan base? With the writers strike going on this is the perfect time for Supernatural to gain new viewers. Repeating season one and two shows would be a great way to introduce the show to an all new audience. Believe me I saw for myself at the November convention that not only do we as fans love are show we also have the buying power to make the sponsors happy. This is something the suits at the CW need to be aware of. The fans are dedicated and willing to shell out big bucks for this show and it’s sponsors. I can understand if they want to give Reaper a shot at the Thursday suicide spot ,but there has to be another night where Supernatural reruns can be shown.
When I was at the convention and the boys received those special medals from the Army Special Forces it was great publicity for the CW. What other show on that network(or any other for that matter) can boast being the favorite of our troops over in Iraq? Why would the CW remove such a gem of a show? This just does not make any sense to me and all the other fans.Wise up CW and put Supernatural back in the line up and give this gem of a show the respect it deserves!!!Supernatural has been under rated and under appreciated far too long!

February 8, 2008 at 12:13 am
(47) Elle E'Trois says:

My inbox hurts.
LOL! You should get that looked at.

Personally, I’m a fan of both Shows. However, I don’t trust the networks not to kick me while I’m down (the writer’s strike). I think this is a bait and switch where Reaper is put out there as something to watch until new episodes of SN are avail, but SN magically disappears from the schedule. I hope that doesn’t happen.

February 8, 2008 at 3:54 am
(48) dj says:

Oh, if only Supernatural had gotten lower ratings like Gossip Girl did — Dawn O. would be giving us encore airings, lots and LOTS of promotional spots, cast interviews, fashion shows, and “Supernatural Revealed!”

What a croc. What a steaming pile of el toro poo poo. In the words of Weeza Boudreau (from Steel Magnolias) to Mylynn “Dawn, you got a reindeer up your butt or what?” Did you make a pass at one of those boys and get rebuffed or something? Or do you just have no clue how to successfully market a quality show when you’ve got one sizzling in your lap?

February 17, 2008 at 12:02 am
(49) Debbie C says:

Frankly I am a fan of both shows (Reaper and Supernatural). However, Reaper is just a cute show that is entertaining, Supernatural is my favorite series of all time and I am 45 years old. It easily bumped Heroes and Firefly from their top spots. I liked Firefly more than Heroes, but there were only 14 episodes… so Heroes was defacto #1. Now, Supernatural is funny, scary, heart wrenching action every week. My favorite characters, Sam and Dean, are in 90% of every episode. How can you go wrong? I just found the show in December (I didn’t watch anything on the CW so hadn’t heard of it). Since that time I have recruited 6 adults to the show and 2 of those have recruited 2 more. If the show was on (even in reruns) I know we could get more. The CW needs to support their veterans as well as the rookies.

February 28, 2008 at 10:34 pm
(50) Michael says:

I can’t understand how they can just cut off a great show like that. I looked forward to watching that show every thursday, it’s one of the best shows ive ever seen! I really wish the CW would reconsider. Instead, they are just replacing it with a show that already comes on during the week! Besides, Reaper doesn’t even compare to Supernatural! Put it back in it’s timeslot!!!

March 4, 2008 at 9:30 am
(51) Lisa says:

I have stopped watching any show on the CW, except for Supernatural and OTH ever since they stupidly decided to cancel Veronica Mars (for shows like the Reaper, by the way). I wouldn’t trust the CW executives to drive my car, much less run a network!

March 6, 2008 at 4:06 pm
(52) Ashton says:

I’ve been a die-hard fan of this show since the first episode, and seeing it vanish off the schedule to be replaced by Reaper sent me spinning. Here’s the thing, I’ve actually watched a few episodes of Reaper in it’s regular spot. I thought it was OK but it has never grabbed me like SN. I will not be watching Reaper, or any other CW show, until they bring back Supernatural. And I’m in the coveted 18-35 male demographic. Oh CW, aren’t you so scared?

But the real issue here isn’t how much CW sucks, or that they don’t care about us. What’s remarkable is the dedication of the SN fan base. I thought I was all alone in my support of this show, but I’ve just spent the last hour reading post after post from people who feel just like me.

What I find even more interesting is the span of the viewers. It’s one thing to make a show that appeals only to girls, or to guys, but Supernatural has effectively bridged that gap in a way that few shows have. Everyone involved with SN’s production should be proud of that.

I hate to beat up Reaper further, because it’s a pretty funny show. However, that’s ALL it has going for it. Supernatural is a visceral experience, weaving humor, suspense, and drama. A veritable feast compared with the anemic fare usually offered up by network TV.

Sorry to ramble on, but it feels good to get all that off my chest. I was afraid of losing the show, but now that I’ve seen how so many of you rave about it, my fears are somewhat allayed. Even if the CW is stupid enough to cancel Supernatural, they’ll have to contend with a mass of rabid fans.

March 20, 2008 at 10:23 pm
(53) LD McIntosh says:

Taking this awesome show off the air is just plain and simply idiotic. For people that are supposed to be making the BIG BUCKS for their position and their bright ideas, THIS ISN’T ONE OF THEM!!! You are basically telling all the viewers and fans of the show that you don’t really care what they like, but here look at this new show that we think you’ll like. ONCE AGAIN THAT IS PRETTY STUPID!!! TV shows are viewer driven and SUPERNATURAL is one hell of a ride. Put it back on and make a lot of people very happy. These people are your viewers Mr. Executive.

March 23, 2008 at 10:37 pm
(54) Veronica says:

i love supernatural i think it is the best show on the network and replacing it is a big mistake you will have viewers changing the channel to nbc or something instead

May 3, 2008 at 9:59 am
(55) Patrick says:

I think the writers cant come up with a storyline to keep the story going, so they will use supernatural storylines to do reaper except instead of guns stakes salt and things like that we get a can of raid, a vacuum, a rubber chicken and wait for it ……. a toaster oven to send demons to hell

December 11, 2008 at 8:36 pm
(56) Andrew McGuire says:

Paul Mcguire is my DAD! im serious!

January 6, 2009 at 7:51 pm
(57) Eric Gresham says:

I love supernatural and I can,t wait for thursday nights to see smallville and supernatural if these shows leave, then I will leave CW I hope you land somewhere else if this happens never missed a episode of either one E

January 17, 2009 at 12:30 pm
(58) laura says:

the problem is the cw in general theyre stupid they dont know when they got good shows and all they care about is money they mistreated charmed stars toiled around with canceling the show for years and now supernatural i think that whenever a show becomes too expensive they just cut it theyre cheap and the dont care about thr fans all they care about is making the most money thats why i have personly cut them from my life i watch no channels icl theyres that is offiliated with them they dont deserve my views