1. Entertainment

CW Renews Three Fantasy Series

By February 18, 2013

Stephen Amell in (I)Arrow(/i), a bona fide hit for The CW.

Stephen Amell in Arrow, a bona fide hit for The CW.

© Jack Rowand/The CW

The CW has just renewed three of its four fantasy series, prompting the obvious question: What about Beauty and the Beast?

The hit series Arrow, The Vampire Diaries, and Supernatural all gained easy and expected renewal for a second, fifth, and ninth season, respectively. Arrow was, especially, a shoo-in: it had the network's best series debut in four years and quickly became its most-watched series, garnering 4.3 million weekly viewers--huge numbers for the small network. Vampire Diaries is as strong as ever (it's even getting a spin-off), and the only question about Supernatural--and it wasn't posed very seriously--was whether it would retire to rest on its laurels, having long outlived its original premise.

"We said last year that one of our goals was to establish building blocks to grow on, and now with our new hit Arrow and fan favorite Supernatural on Wednesday night, and the continued success of The Vampire Diaries on Thursday, we've been able to do that," said CW president Mark Pedowitz. "Not only do [all three] perform well on-air, they're also extremely successful for us both digitally and socially. I'm thrilled to have all three shows returning to our schedule next season."

But there's a series that is conspicuously absent from that enthusiastic statement. The same series that's been dropping a large chunk of its lead-in from The Vampire Diaries, just like the previous occupant of that slot did last season.

Beauty and the Beast did get picked up for a full season despite its weaker position compared to the big three CW fantasy series, and while that announcement was made after the pick-up for Arrow, it was made.

Still, as we keep learning, when it comes to shows that are on the bubble no news is often bad news. In this case, The CW has a number of sci-fi/fantasy pilots pending, and it will probably wait to decide on Beauty and the Beast until after it's seen them--potentially putting the sitting series in contention with The Tomorrow People, Oxygen, The Selection, et al. for the small number of slots on the CW's schedule (which, remember, has fewer spaces than the original big three broadcasters).

That means that word on Beauty and the Beast may be delayed until April or May, unless the show's ratings deteriorate enough to present a fait accompli. Stay tuned.
Tags: Arrow, The Vampire Diaries, Beauty and the Beast, Supernatural
Follow me on Twitter  |  Follow me on Facebook

Comments

February 26, 2013 at 7:17 pm
(1) BATB Fan says:

Here’s hoping for a renewal, lots of negative reviews circulating that are based on the pilot not recent episodes of the show. Definitely worth tuning in for.

February 27, 2013 at 11:37 pm
(2) Jaiden says:

I love Beauty and the Beast!! The pilot was not really good but as the show progresses, it’s now
Worth watching!! I hope there’ll be a second season for BATB!!

March 1, 2013 at 3:28 am
(3) Colbie T. says:

I love the show..I m looking forward to Thursday night all because of Vincent aka Jay R..pls keep it going

March 2, 2013 at 6:30 am
(4) Tia says:

Exactly, watch all 14 eps of beauty and the beast and then tell me your not hooked! As all newbie shows, it gets better & better as it finds its groove. It’s got a great mix of action, drama, love story & comedy. It’s one liners from sidekicks are hilarious! Viva la # batb

March 2, 2013 at 8:41 am
(5) Fay says:

I really can’t understand what the CW is waiting for. Beauty and the Beast is a terrific show with International fans of all ages, both male and female. The show is a treasure chest of potential storylines for future seasons. Are they deliberately torturing us?

March 4, 2013 at 2:23 pm
(6) donna gilliam says:

BATB IS REALLY A GREAT SHOW. THERE IS NO OTHER SHOW LIKE IT ON TELEVISON. THE WRITERS HAVE DONE AN OUTSTANDING JOB AND THE CASTING IS AWESOME. THE LOVE STORY OF VINCENT AND CATHERINE IS EPIC. THIS SHOW SHOULD NO EVEN BE CONSIDERED FOR CANCELLATION. IT SHOULD BE ON FOR MANY SEASON TO COME. DONNA GILLIAM

March 11, 2013 at 5:10 pm
(7) Debra says:

Love Beauty and the Beast and I tune in but I Don’t watch The Vampire Diaries…so I am turning to the CW to watch Beauty and the Beast. This is the best show on TV and I am sure more people are watching then what the ratings are saying. Hoping for a second season.

March 11, 2013 at 6:05 pm
(8) Kelsey says:

I fall more in love with the show each time I watch it!

March 12, 2013 at 6:38 pm
(9) Rebecca says:

Won’t watch The Vampire Diaries nor Supernatural, but will keep the channel on my To Watch list if BATB is renewed. Not renewed? No CW for me.

March 14, 2013 at 9:27 pm
(10) amber says:

I love this show. The love story of all who dare to risk.this show lets u imagine “what if”. This is a great show. Please dont take this away from us.the first kiss was so…. i found myself on the edge of my chair. Have a heart, dont take away my dreams.

March 15, 2013 at 9:49 am
(11) chantel says:

If you look at all four shows, which one has the toughest time slot? BATB has to compete against major shows like Glee, Grey’s Anatomy, Person of Interest and The Office. All of these other shows don’t have that type competition in their time slots. This has gotten better and better each week. Not renewing this show and putting it in a better time slot is stupid. Uh..Hello Monday?????

March 15, 2013 at 5:44 pm
(12) Rachel says:

please renew BATB. pilot wasnt the best but i have watched all episodes and its fantastic. it gets better and better. BATB is CW’s dark horse! give it a fairer timeslot and don’t pit it against established programmes and watch it really take off!

March 15, 2013 at 8:48 pm
(13) Lynda says:

Beauty and the Beast is the very best love story on TV. I never miss BATB. If it is cancelled I will never watch the CW again. Move BATB to a new day or time. PLEASE PLEASE DON’T CANCEL

March 16, 2013 at 5:21 pm
(14) Vikki Meyer says:

Vampire Diaries has no where to go with the story line. Elena is a vamp, they have killed off every supporting character on the show, she’s slept with both male characters. . . BAH Humbug. Beauty and the Beast has a storyline that can carry the show for the next three seasons. The heat is just beginning, the chemistry between the characters is HOT, the chase for the beast will be intense. No Beauty NO CW for ME!!!

March 17, 2013 at 3:53 am
(15) anna says:

Love beauty and the beast. Love Kristen as Cath and love vincent too. hope they won’t cancel the show. I have stopped watching any show from CW after they introduced Louise Lane character in Smallville coz it was only a matter of time before Kristen get smaller screen time. Kreuk is sooo pretty and it does not hurt that she can act too. BATB is a winner in my book.

March 17, 2013 at 4:06 am
(16) Annabelle says:

Love BATB. Love kristen Kreuk, sooo pretty and doesn’t hurt that she can act too. I tuned in to CW coz of BATB and if this show doesn’t get renewed they will have one less viewer. Here’s hoping for another season.

March 17, 2013 at 10:06 pm
(17) BATB super fan says:

I love beauty and the beast. I hope it gets the second season. It gets better with every episode. It’s sooooo worth watching.

March 18, 2013 at 3:25 am
(18) Catherine says:

I LOVE beauty and the beast!! It is a great show! The cw has a winner in this show! It has the potential to run for several seasons.
If its cancelled I’ll call my cable and have them remove the cw from my channel lineup. I cannot wait for this wks episode, its going to b epic! The show just keeps getting better! PLEASE DON’T CANCEL
IT!

March 18, 2013 at 3:58 am
(19) BATB Newbie says:

watched episode 1 to 15 over the weekend…newly hooked and i’m not easily swayed…but i love it, CW u gotta keep it…trust me i know what i’m talking about :)

March 18, 2013 at 2:07 pm
(20) Wind ebb says:

Love the show can’t wait until the next show gets better each week

March 25, 2013 at 2:43 pm
(21) Jacqui Young says:

Please give Beauty and the Beast a second season. This storyline here has been moving very quickly and has so many more directions to go in now.

March 26, 2013 at 10:37 pm
(22) Jaye says:

CW — Please renew BATB. I have watched it from the beginning and, in my opinion, it just gets better and better every episode. I think the storyline has great potential to be exciting and entertaining for many more seasons.

March 30, 2013 at 9:57 am
(23) Rina says:

Voting for Beauty & the Beast’s 2nd season & more! I love this show tremendously. Always looking forward to watch the next episode & even the replays. Please keep this show as the story & the cast inspire me. Definitely worth keeping!

March 31, 2013 at 10:21 pm
(24) Huge Fan! says:

I’m really in love with this series. The interactions between Cath, and Vincent is really great. Love the romance. I know they can add many more interesting plots to this season, and hopefully many many more. I would love it if it lasted as long as Smallville. I did enjoy Vampire Diaries, but mostly because of the love between Stephen and Elena, but since she became interested in Damien, it losing it interest. ( She is not sure what she wants, she should so choose Stephen.) Please continue with Beauty and the Beast, really great show, if it last for a long series like smallville, I will buy all of them, but not when it is unfinished (like CW does often to many shows I really enjoy), cause it will only make me sad. So, CW continue please with a really great love, and action series for a while. So here is to no disappointment.

April 4, 2013 at 1:32 pm
(25) chisom says:

I’m from Nigeria and after watching this series I’m totally hooked just chilling for yu guys to renew it. Pls do it’s so much worth watching

April 5, 2013 at 9:23 am
(26) jenna says:

Please CW give us Beauty and The Beast season 2 and more.

April 5, 2013 at 7:53 pm
(27) Donna says:

My vote is definitely keep BATB.its getting better each week. Great chemistry between Vincent & Cat.The plot is great and getting better each week.

April 6, 2013 at 2:28 am
(28) kate says:

No BATB no CW please season 2. Go Beasties

April 8, 2013 at 10:40 am
(29) Kerri says:

This show is really getting good. Please renew it for another season!! I get so tired of getting into a show and then having it cancelled. It is a great show and only seems to be getting better so hopefully more people will start watching it and they keep it around.

April 15, 2013 at 3:18 am
(30) Chara says:

B&the B. is a great show that keeps getting better THe chemistry between the lead characters is wonderful Jay Ryan is perfect as the Vincent and dreamy to watch The time slot is a lot more competitive for it then vampire diaries which I do not like at all. B&theB needs a second season it has much to offer

April 20, 2013 at 7:56 am
(31) Maria says:

I love Beauty and the Beast and would be very disappointed if it is cancelled. Please give us more seasons like Smallville. Kristen Kreuk and Jay Ryan are perfect together and their love story can continue for many seasons. PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THIS PERFECT SHOW.

May 6, 2013 at 2:59 pm
(32) Rjaylove says:

PLEASE keep BATB running for a third series!! I love this show so much, i’m hooked! Love the actors and the story, and of course the love between Catherine and Vincent! Please please please!!