1. Entertainment

So... What's Up with Alphas?

By January 14, 2013

David Strathairn as Dr. Lee Rosen in season 2 of (I)Alphas(/i).

David Strathairn as Dr. Lee Rosen in season 2 of Alphas.

© Russ Martin/Syfy

Update: Bad news, folks.

Normally by this point in the calendar, the start of the winter season, the question marks hovering over the summer season primarily involve not which shows will air but when they'll start. But we still don't know the fate of Alphas, introduced two years ago as the new summer anchor for Syfy's self-styled "Powerful" line-up, and the suggestion that we'd hear last week has been left twisting in the wind.

Gail Berman, whose company, BermanBraun, produces the show, told the Futon Critic a week ago that she'd hear within a few days about the yea or nay on both season 3 of Alphas and Rewind, the Syfy pilot that was behind only the picked-up cross-platform drama Defiance (now set to premiere April 15, by the way) in visibility during the last pilot season. Of course, Berman didn't actually say she'd tell us what she heard.

(They may simply be distracted by their management reorg: after years of getting by being run by its co-founders, Gail Berman and Lloyd Braun, they just last week installed a president to run things. Weirdly enough, the new honcho, Jeff Berman, is said to be no relation to co-founder Gail Berman.)

An ensemble series emphasizing the tradeoffs involved in being superpowered, Alphas hasn't caught fire the way, say, the more lighthearted Warehouse 13 did. Alphas ended its second season in October having averaged 1.3 million viewers. That's down by 30% when compared to the first season (1.85 million). More importantly, it hasn't generated a presence for itself in the sci-fi universe comparable to something like (for example) Lost Girl. It's hard to believe anyone at Syfy is excited about Alphas.

At any rate, not having heard about season 3 by now is not a good sign. We'd already heard about a renewal for season 2 for summer 2012 in September of 2011. And the last time the question arose over at Syfy about nobody seeming to know whether something was canceled, or renewed, or what, with Syfy execs maintaining radio silence for months on end, the show in question was Sanctuary.

Stay tuned.

Tags: Alphas, BermanBraun, Syfy, David Strathairn
Follow me on Twitter  |  Follow me on Facebook

Comments

January 14, 2013 at 11:33 am
(1) Geek Soul Brother says:

If the audience isn’t there, then who can argue about ALPHAS cancellation. But the show has a great and talented cast, it’s imaginative stories are compelling, and they have a fresh take on the flawed super-hero aspect. Everybody that I convince to watch the show ends up loving it. But really, that is the meat of the problem; convincing people to watch it.
LOST GIRL? Come on! Of course it’s a popular show, it’s got hot sex in every episode, for no real reason at all. “Bo needs to Feed, drop them draws… or panties… or both!” Why shouldn’t their ratings beat an intelligent series like ALPHAS. I hope that they at least not leave us hanging from the ending of season two.

January 14, 2013 at 3:02 pm
(2) starrpoint says:

What I like about alphas is that the superpowers do not imbued surper human perfection, ea. they are superior in morals and intellect.

They are everyday people and their “super” powers actually make them uncomfortable, sometimes are very personally painful and flawed.

They are trying to find a place in a world that does not want to let them in, like all minorities,

there is a common thread through this. And none are so flawed as the doctor who is trying to fix them!

Their “mentor” might be the one that needs the most help.

January 14, 2013 at 7:15 pm
(3) Zed says:

Will be very disappointed if this gets cancelled. Like the above poster everyone I’ve convinced to watch the show loves it. The problem is bad marketing. I randomly heard about the show when azita was on attack of the show during season 2. It needs better marketing. Great cast, great writing, great believable powers… Please don’t leave it hanging.

January 15, 2013 at 12:43 am
(4) nesapat says:

Just hoping that Alphas make it back into the lineup, one of my favorite shows.

January 15, 2013 at 5:17 pm
(5) Jade2013 says:

I’ve watched the Alpha series from the begining, I think it’s smart and enjoyable series. I feel this series is deserving of a season 3!!!

I’m looking forward to it’s return!!!!!!

February 12, 2013 at 3:42 pm
(6) cassey says:

can alpha please make an episode 14 of season 2 to round up alpha as the ending so far is frustrating if they dont want to do a new season then either make 1 more episode or make a full movie with a good ending…thanks

March 8, 2013 at 10:44 pm
(7) TadDef says:

Wait a sec here. Alphas is cancelled.? Everyone is presumed dead except…….and this is where Syfy decides to cancel? Well shoot….one of the best programs I’ve seen in a long time. The cast is amazing. The story lines always full of mysterious powers, a kind mentor. I just love, love the kid with his unique powers of the hand and his relationships with his mom and co-workers. His brilliancy mixed with his disorder. David S. is so great with the mix of gentleness and kiss as$. Well I am totally dismayed. The current programs on Tv now are so disappointing. Well I do like once upon a time, check out Grimm, it’s a blast. Ok Haven is one of my favorites. Warehouse 13…..another good one. Almost got the ax. Maybe I shouldn’t get involved in Syfy programs. I’ll have to give that some thought. Okthen I’m finished. Carry on.

April 18, 2013 at 6:46 am
(8) Shine66 says:

I am from Indonesia….even so, I love to watch ALPHA
And really so bad when I got news that SYFy will end the serial to season 2.
Bring back them in season 3….would u plz?!
I want to watch more Alpha…!

June 21, 2013 at 10:18 pm
(9) Robert says:

Hadn’t heard of alphas until it came out on amazon prime. I was hooked from the first episode. All the show needs is better publicity. Hate to leave such a great series with that last episode.