1. Entertainment

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Revolution Gets Full Season Order

By October 8, 2012

Tracy Spiridakos and Graham Rogers in (I)Revolution(/i).

Tracy Spiridakos and Graham Rogers in Revolution.

© Bob Mahoney/NBC

Go to Article
 Go to Image Gallery
Its press is divided between those who say it has the potential to become really good someday, and those who moan that an exciting premise has been squandered on the tiresome reversion to telegenic stars sketching out underwritten characters. Its ratings have been drifting downward from the premiere (8.3 million viewers last week, down from 11.65 for the much-hyped pilot episode but still ahead of other shows also picked up for a full season, like Go On and The New Normal). It's not generating the water-cooler buzz even of a Terra Nova, much less the Lost some expected it to be.

But the double-barreled Kripke-Abrams imprimatur gives Revolution longer legs than others might have, and NBC has pushed a few more chips onto the table at a point in the fall season so early that a number of key shows haven't even premiered yet. Having previously ordered an initial 13 episodes of the series, the network has now upped its order by picking up the so-called back nine. Revolution season 1 will now run 22 episodes, giving the show more time to realize possibilities only hinted at in the feature-film-slick pilot.

This is certainly good news: Revolution deserves a chance to grow into its premise, and Eric Kripke, with J.J. Abrams behind him, can be counted on to flesh out this world and bring forward its inherent problems and dilemmas while the characters and storylines acquire a compelling level of heft. It's pretty good odds that Revolution can pull it off.

Tags: Revolution
Follow me on Twitter  |  Follow me on Facebook

Comments

October 8, 2012 at 2:00 pm
(1) Naomi says:

I’m glad that Revolution will have a full season. I think there were three main problems with the first few episodes.

1. I think the main character, Charlie, is the least interesting character. Charlie’s sole purpose seemed to be as a plot device to connect other, more interesting, characters with each other. Otherwise, Charlie pretty much spends time declaring, “my father’s dead; my brother’s missing,” and adds nothing to the story. Since characters such as Aaron, Rachel, Miles, and Neville are far more interesting, and I hope they are given more prominence in future episodes, and Charlie much less.

2. I think the strengths of Revolution‘s pre-broadcast promise hinged on the mystery about what happened with electricity, and how societies changed due to the disappearance of electricity. The mystery is going strong, and is a great motivation for me to continue watching the show. What’s been shown of the post-electricity societies have been a disappointment. Rather than something new and fresh, they have been rehashes of feudal or post-apocalyptic societies previously shown in numerous movies/TV series.

3. I think the show started too far into the time of no electricity. We see established changes in society, including civil war. However, we only know vague explanations for the how and why of the current society being the way it is. This means . . . more flashbacks. In addition to the ones already shown for the immediate aftermath of the disappearance of electricity. Revolution might become a show cut into thirds: the time immediately after electricity is gone (flashbacks); the time when the country’s (world) social structures began to rebuild itself (flashbacks); and the show’s now. Too many flashbacks.

Still, I’m rooting for Revolution, and I will continue to watch it.

October 8, 2012 at 5:02 pm
(2) Wilson says:

I’m excited to see that Revolution has snagged a full first season. It appears to be promising, but a few coworkers at DISH think that Abrams shouldn’t deploy as many mysteries as LOST had. I definitely agree, as LOST had me lost during its fourth season—fitting title. I’ve just recently purchased a Hopper DVR, so I can now take advantage of building shows up for my sweatpants and DVR days. It has a lot of memory, and I can manage my time a lot more efficiently. Cheers to all 22 episodes.

October 11, 2012 at 6:55 am
(3) Naomi says:

Wilson, I agree with the parts of your comment concerning Revolution. For some reason, after reading your post, I began to crave canned spiced ham in aspic.

November 15, 2012 at 9:11 pm
(4) Drew says:

Need More. It’s Highly Addictive. Need it now!

I will watch this show, every episode.

November 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm
(5) stacy says:

I love this show look forward to Monday nights when it’s on on

November 26, 2012 at 11:48 am
(6) Gerrit says:

I find it strange that there are 12 pendants, and 12 Fed Reserve banks. I haven’t rechecked the Revolution map to see if the known pendants are in some of those locations. But if they match, I figured out JJ Abrams’ pattern!

December 2, 2012 at 10:47 pm
(7) Matt says:

Having just seen the last episode here in Australia I can safely say that I am a fan of the distopian genre. To say that it is just a rehash of fuedal and post-apopolyptic maybe right, however, I feel that the story line here is fresh. Lets recap – Miles was one of the Leaders of the Monroe Militia. Chalrlie his neice. A cause of tension and conflict in later seasons when Miles past is further revealed. Also Charlie now has a Monroe tag on her arm. could be cause for conflict if they ever tie in with the resistence. Furthermore, I believe there were about four other Militia controled territories on a map in Monroe’s office that is not including the Indian Nations. So I see that there is a possibility for at least eight to ten seasons in so long as the storylines do npot get too bogged down in too many flashbacks. The character development I like. Especially with a possible romantic link between the son of one of the Monroe Militia’s captains and Charlie herself. Bring on Season two

December 7, 2012 at 5:50 pm
(8) Harrison says:

I’m glad you like the show Matt. But I dont think that they need a romeo and Juliet circumstance.

December 8, 2012 at 9:47 am
(9) Dillz says:

Harrison, I second that! I also hope that in the long run, Charlie is gonna stop rotating around her father’s death…. She should be given better areas of focus since she seems to be the main character… Big lav!! Looking forward to season 2…….

December 16, 2012 at 12:23 am
(10) cliff says:

This show has so much potential and the directors and writers are using every last bit of it wisely… the show has only aired for a mere 10 episodes and has almost every member of my family , friends and coworkers who watch wanting and waiting for more.

The shows premise may have been done in many ways before, and the nice thing about this is show is they expand and continually build on top of what we have seen in other films and shows.

The character of Charlie may seem a little dull because she is still on the kick of (my mommy and daddy are dead and Danny’s gone) but given how much her world has changed in both ways of having to adapt to life without electricity as a little girl to growing up and being responsible for every action she takes. This journey she is on, to save her brother and in the process has to take a life or two and go through hell is one that has kept me watching… and when Charlie came face to face with many foes and had her brother within arms reach only to be torn apart again and than face to face with her mother who was being held captive by the Monroe malita, I would say after all that ordeal I would either be a little withdrawn and closed shell, or a raving lunatic …

The sneak peek at the end of episode 10 was amazing, I really hope everyone gets away from that chopper and to a safe ground without being injured or killed. I want one moment of normalicy for Charlie, but if you want great drama you don’t get happy endings until the show ends lol.. anyway NBC will have me and many others as faithful viewers as long as the show keeps up this awesome writing and explores areas that the fans are begging for.

Well I guess its a waiting game for 2013, who knows maybe the show is giving us a heads up as to what to expect in December 21st 2012 lol… I guess if all the power went out it would be the end of the world as almost everyone knows it.

So as long as there’s power I will watch this show.

December 19, 2012 at 8:38 am
(11) KB says:

The concept of this series is clever, but, I find myself longing for more of the not-so-fictional human elements of survival if this should ever happen. You never see them eating, going potty, cleansing, finding their supplies, clothing etc. I think it would spark more interest if those”real” survival needs were tied in and probably make the story line more realistic and possibly educational for the survival enthusiists. I don’t know where they will go with the story, but I’ll be looking forward to maybe meeting Dr. Maggie’s kids. I wish the show all the best and I look forward to the next episodes.

December 24, 2012 at 8:30 pm
(12) Horst G Ludwig says:

does anybody care about the viewers input? I am happy to see a second chance for sci fi not that sci fi and I do hope they spice it up a little and get an original flavour into it. The mixture of Robin Hood, post apocalypsis and fringe is a way to follow but there is a deep lack of fantasy and science knowledge while the action scenes are not to bad. It seems to be a low budget production and because of this character play got to improve visible (see the big success of Breaking Bad, low cost production). Nethertheless a survivours society having just left the world of electricity and science got lots of alternate developments to offer. Who are the guys whom switched off electricty power range within the physical scale only heavy solar storm could be a natural cause. Aliens? A experiment? A secret society weapon? Just leave the silly repetition of the US civil war and the obvious, any wild west movie is better than you offer so far.
Revolution is a title not even close to the arguments so far but revolution against something better than humanity would be good to have!

December 31, 2012 at 6:01 am
(13) andy says:

Why have they stopped the running of Revolution after 10 epsiodes, when they wer suppose to be 22, have they pulled the plug or what

January 3, 2013 at 11:04 am
(14) Rob says:

Good question Andy………. They left us hanging. I hope there is more. I find this series much better than Lost. Lost had me lost after the 4th season, that’s when I stopped watching it. Way too confusing.

January 6, 2013 at 8:13 pm
(15) Phil says:

I do like that their not afraid to kill off some of the semi-main characters. Was not expecting Maggie to die, I was half waiting for a miracle recovery half expecting a brilliant surgeon/doctor to show up from no where.
Bit different.

January 28, 2013 at 5:48 pm
(16) Dreamslayer says:

I have watched up to episode 10 online, it is a very interesting premise but I have to agree with a few posts that Charlie did seem very 2 dimensional but she has grown somewhat, my main concern is with how quickly the characters are to turn on one another at the drop of a hat and how long it took to hint at steam power, surely some engineers would have survived with the know how to build steam engines and other alternative sources of power.

February 7, 2013 at 9:32 pm
(17) lazerpete says:

I read all your comments. And I agree with most of them.
I also would like to see people learning how to cope and get to where they are. Starting with Pilot and beyond they never have to worry about food, water, medical issues, their cloths are the same, never change, don’t get dirty, torn after with all the fighting.They should smell real bad like BO.

I find it interesting that a steam engine can run. what about the rest of the world.What are they doing. Only 12 pendants in the world.what is that huge station up to ( where that black gal is at). Hard to shut power off to the whole world.
I too look forward to the next season when does it start?

February 18, 2013 at 3:19 am
(18) lily says:

I wonder if charlie and jason will get together in season 2. Hope so im realy excited :)

March 12, 2013 at 1:23 am
(19) Monica says:

Revolution is a great series. It has excitement, drama, and it keeps me at the egde of my seat always wondering what’s going to happen next. I think that the veiwer numbers would go up if it previewed a couple weeks before it came back on television. It’s one of my favorite television shows. I can’t wait for it to come back on nbc.

March 16, 2013 at 5:03 pm
(20) jason says:

when are is episodes 11 + on, awsome os far though.

March 23, 2013 at 10:06 am
(21) TWSU3 says:

Getting a bit boring now. The only thing that ever seems to happen is that they all get into life threatening danger then have to KILL loads of people, some of who are just innocent bystanders, just to save one person, the brother.
YAWN!
Everyone has become a murderer. Even the mother callously stabbed a friend and ex-colleague in the heart, to save the same one person. What? Is he to become the next messiah who is going to lead the world out of hell or something?
So here are some questions that need answering too.
1) If the MoD guy was involved in the switch off, wouldn’t the armed forces be ready for this thing and swing into action immediately. Wouldn’t that happen anyway? Why were Miles and Munroe sitting around waiting for orders that never came? Wouldn’t there be protocols in place for some thing like this eg Thermo Nuclear War – that would also knock out most electrics?
2) The are many devices that run without electricity too, yet it has taken 15 years to get a steam train running? Diesel engines esp. older ones don’t need electricity and can run on many different types of oil. Where are those types of vehicles? They can build a sci-fi rig that can power anything but can’t get a diesel engine running?
3) And yes, what about the rest of the world? People have been travelling around the world by sailing even in modern times. How come the US is still in a bubble all by itself?
etc. etc.
I sometimes think that one of the characters, may be the Google guy, will wake up and it will all have been a bad dream stemming from him being bullied at school. Heh, heh!