1. Entertainment

Falling Skies Renewed for Season 3

By July 16, 2012

Drew Roy as Hal in the season 2 premiere of (I)Falling Skies(/i).

Drew Roy as Hal in the season 2 premiere of Falling Skies.

© TNT

TNT is pretty happy with the strong ratings for the high-adrenaline second season of Falling Skies--enough so that they've ordered a third 10-episode season for next summer.

TNT says the show is actually the top drama on ad-supported cable among adults 18-49 this summer--which sounds like a lot of caveats, but mainly that means that it's not getting the ratings of True Blood. The fact is it's hard to get 6 million viewers a week on basic cable (the series has been averaging 5.9 million in total viewers over the first five episodes, or 3.9 million live plus same day), so that's pretty impressive news.

Nonetheless, viewership is down a bit from last year: the season 2 premiere got 4.5 viewers live plus same day, down from 5.9 live plus same day for the season 1 premiere and 5.5 for the finale, so the cast and crew are grateful to get the vote of confidence now, while season 2 is still only halfway in.

TNT emphasized the caliber of Skies's storytelling, and rightly so. "Falling Skies is television storytelling at its very best, a powerful drama that's told on both an epic scale and on a deeply personal level," says TNT president Michael Wright. "We can't wait to see what DreamWorks Television and Falling Skies' terrific production team and cast members have in store for season three."

Tags: Falling Skies, TNT, Renewals and Cancellations
Follow me on Twitter  |  Follow me on Facebook

Comments

July 16, 2012 at 9:00 am
(1) Don says:

If they’re so excited about the series, how about more than 10 episodes a year? When Season 1 ended last year and they announced that it would be until next summer before new episodes came out, I thought that the network had simply been surprised that the series got the significantly positive reception it received. Now that they’re making the same mistake between seasons 2 and 3, it’s obviously just bad decision-making on their part. I get the whole half-season thing (although I don’t like it), but that means that we should get the second half of a season! Ten episodes does not a season make.

July 16, 2012 at 4:19 pm
(2) Dave Andrews says:

10 – 12 episode seasons are becoming very common here in the U.S., which is still far better than the 6 episode “seasons” they have in the U.K. (although they call seasons “series.”)

I don’t like it, but I do understand it. Virtually everything I watch, particularly on cable now has 10 to 12 episode seasons.

consistently getting nearly 7 million viewers is a truly AMAZING number for a cable scifi series. Maybe the best I’ve ever seen. No surprise it was picked up again.

August 20, 2012 at 12:15 am
(3) Gary K says:

I agree that there should be more than 10 episodes in a season. With an episode a week that leaves 42 weeks without programming. Maybe if they were to either do more episodes or allow for more seasons in a years time.

Wow what great jobs to work 10 weeks out of 52 and call it a year.

August 23, 2012 at 5:47 am
(4) Nathan says:

Cant wait for season 3

August 23, 2012 at 1:39 pm
(5) Kaye M. Porter says:

Wonderful series, one of the best.

February 4, 2013 at 3:47 pm
(6) petlover2000 says:

cant wait 4 fallling skies 2 come back

March 3, 2013 at 8:09 pm
(7) JAU says:

Falling Skies is awesome. I am so disappointed it is taking so long to come out with the 3rd season. It’s like watching a Steven Spielberg movie…very well done!

March 19, 2013 at 3:49 pm
(8) JR says:

The way the second season ended is awesome! I got all my friends saying that the look on the new aliens face is one of compassion but honestly what if that smile on the new alien face is just a way to throw us off. They could be allies but what if its a look of
overconfidence? The weapons pointed at the skies and Ben saying “Their not for us” says it all. The second mass could be in the middle of a war between two alien species or worse they could be battling two types of aliens at the same time. The Tv show has a great cast and we know its up to the writers now. If they are the allies, then how far can they take it? But if they are the enemy…..then what if season 3 does the impossible and eventually has the second mass allying with their old enemy the skitters and overlords to fight a bigger threat? I guess we will see in time :)