1. Entertainment

A New Life for...Jericho?

By May 28, 2012

Skeet Ulrich as Jake Green in (I)Jericho(/i).

Skeet Ulrich as Jake Green in Jericho.

© CBS

When Terra Nova was canceled, the rumors flew that it would get picked up by Netflix as the latest twist in the bid by purveyors of steaming digital entertainment to start sourcing content rather than just relaying it. TV writers have been aching to say "First Arrested Development, now..."--but the Terra Nova prospect, which could never have been very strong for such an extremely expensive series, rapidly withered and died.

The prospect now gets regularly thought about whenever a good series is canceled, often by fans who are more sanguine about the possibility of uncancellation than producers. Kyle Killen, for example, doesn't sound too optimistic about the likelihood of Awake seeing a second season, on another network or otherwise.

Earlier this month an unexpected candidate for disinterment on digital media surfaced: a Seattle newspaper reported, and other media expanded, on news that Netflix is in talks with CBS to revive Jericho, the show that was already famously brought back from the dead once after being canceled at its very high point of awesomeness at the end of its powerful first season, only to be canceled again after a second season that was just as exceptionally made but was different enough from season 1 that some fans were disoriented.

Neither Netflix nor CBS would talk about the report. CBS issued a very general statement: The network is "always willing to talk with Netflix if they're interested in one of our shows," says Kelly Kahl, CBS's chief scheduler. Either way it's way to early to celebrate, since the talks could easily break down over rights, creative freedom, or cast and crew availability. The series arguably could not proceed without at least creator Jon Turteltaub, a busy filmmaker, and star Skeet Ulrich, and that's just for starters.

Unlike Harper's Island, the brilliant kill-off-the-cast thriller that was Jon Turteltaub's other big TV idea, Jericho never did quite die after its second cancellation--it's continued in comic books, and Turteltaub has talked periodically about small- and big-screen revivals, so far without success.

"We'd be ecstatic if that happened," Jericho co-executive producer Karin Zreik told The Hollywood Reporter. "From what I hear, sides are talking. I wish I knew more. As you know, the fanbase of that show were incredible, and they've all started reaching out since this report came out. It's exciting and I know the cast is excited too."
Tags: Netflix, Jericho, Skeet Ulrich, Jon Turteltaub
Follow me on Twitter  |  Follow me on Facebook

Comments

May 28, 2012 at 5:25 pm
(1) K Figueroa says:

Bring back Jericho!!!

May 28, 2012 at 8:21 pm
(2) merryann says:

CBS + Netflix = More JERICHO!!

Please make this happen!

May 28, 2012 at 10:20 pm
(3) Nancy says:

I don’t care since they killed GERALD MCRANEY off. JOHNSTON was my favorite character besides SKEET.
I don’t want SKEET in this either. He deserves better like a big network hit. Same with Lennie James.

May 29, 2012 at 1:15 am
(4) MareCadTITANIC says:

Bring back Jericho….N U T S !!!

May 29, 2012 at 11:20 am
(5) K Fig says:

Johnston was great. I wonder what they will do to fill his void in Jake and Eric’s life? This was something they hadn’t even started to touch on.

May 29, 2012 at 4:06 pm
(6) Kitty S says:

I would love for Netflix to bring Jericho back! =0)

May 29, 2012 at 7:25 pm
(7) susan-gator says:

Jericho……..the show that refuses to die. Netflix, please buy Jericho and get the cameras rolling again!!!

Skeet Ulrich is available (work-wise, he just got married ladies—when you’re done crying, finish reading this); Lennie James can find the time between other commitments I’m sure; Brad Beyer (now that GCB is cancelled) and Chris Kramer are available; Esai Morales & Gerald McRaney who can both break from Fairly Legal as needed, and Alicia Coppola and Sprague Grayden who are now both free.

No excuses………..season 4 of the comics come out this summer….just in time to introduce more Jericho on Netflix!

May 30, 2012 at 11:26 pm
(8) swenciler says:

Please Netflix-bring back Jericho!

May 31, 2012 at 1:37 am
(9) flowerlady11 says:

Please bring Jericho back. The fans are still here ready and waiting!

May 31, 2012 at 8:45 am
(10) jjb says:

Bring back Jericho!

June 5, 2012 at 11:52 pm
(11) Amilians says:

We just finished watching all the episodes on Netflix and we can’t believe the show was cancelled. It was incredible!

June 10, 2012 at 2:10 am
(12) Joycey says:

OMG!!! I just discovered this show on Netflix… I am hooked… I REPEAT I AM HOOKED!! I was looking for something to watch after “Lost”… And “Jericho” did it for me!!! Whoo Hoo!!! I hope they bring it back… Love Skeet and Johnston and Eric and Lennie!!! Love Mimi and Stanley!! Bring Them Back PLEEEEZE!!!!

June 15, 2012 at 10:52 pm
(13) law0621 says:

CBS and Netflix are a perfect fit for Jericho. Please bring our Jericho family back home into our TV sets again.

June 24, 2012 at 5:42 pm
(14) CHRIS says:

BRING JERICO BACK ITS TO GOOD TO DIE

July 6, 2012 at 1:56 am
(15) mike says:

WE NEED TO SEND MORE NUTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 10, 2012 at 8:01 pm
(16) Allday says:

Pleasssse bring Jericho back best show I’ve ever seen.

August 26, 2012 at 3:21 pm
(17) Curtiss says:

PLEASE, PLEASE, Bring Jericho Back!!!

September 27, 2012 at 12:16 am
(18) Andrew says:

PLEASE BRING BACK JERICHO…FAVOURITE TV SHOW EVER I KEEP WATCHING THE EPISODES OVER AND OVER AGAIN ON NETFLIX WAITING FOR THE DAY THAT IT CONTINUES AND MORE EPISODES ARE MADE!!!!!!!! BRING BACK JERICHO BRING BACK JERICHO!!!!!

November 5, 2012 at 5:19 pm
(19) Mike says:

Just like others in here, my girlfriend and i just finished this series and we completly LOVED it! We’ve been watching it here since Netflix launched in Danmark. So full of intense suspense, we could not get enough! We are danish and even here in Danmark we are telling our friends about it, ratings wont be an issue! Please revive and continue Jericho! One of the best series ive ever watched!! We cant stop loving the cast!

November 20, 2012 at 8:35 am
(20) Priscila Castro says:

CBS + Netflix = More JERICHO!!

Please make this happen!

CBS + Netflix = More JERICHO!!

Please make this happen!

November 21, 2012 at 4:21 am
(21) arnaud says:

french fan

please save Jericho !!!!!!!! we need it!!

December 3, 2012 at 3:58 am
(22) Donna says:

bring Back Jericho

December 11, 2012 at 11:05 pm
(23) Bruce says:

I would pay $ to watch new episodes of Jericho.

January 5, 2013 at 2:08 pm
(24) Bill says:

Please bring Jericho back. One of the best shows I’ve seen and so much they can do to continue the storyline. I would watch each week for sure. Thanks Netflix for bringing this gem to my TV

January 13, 2013 at 12:01 am
(25) Lexy says:

Gotta love this show. Jericho really is a different show from anything else I’ve ever watched. The storyline is an amazing coverage of everything from romance & comedy to action & suspense. The character development is well written in a way that slowly reveals more of the mystery and yet isn’t too slow to cause boredom. Over all it is just an amazing show, & even though I’ve watched both season’s multiple times, I still find them enjoyable each time I rewatch them. I’d love to see Netflix be able to get the agreement with CBS & Bring Back Jericho!

February 7, 2013 at 1:07 am
(26) Keath says:

More two broke girls and no Jericho… what have we come to?

April 3, 2013 at 1:34 am
(27) CeCe says:

I can’t tell you when the last time was that I have had a favorite show. That is, until Jericho. I found it on Netflix and was totally hooked. Episode after episode until it ended. This series was very well written and I definitely would support/encourage CBS and Netflix to find a way to revive Jericho. I’m sure they can research how often the show has been Googled and all of the other stats that support it’s return. Do it….Do it….Do it!!!

April 3, 2013 at 2:07 am
(28) jp says:

Netflix please pick up Jericho, would give me a good reason to subscribe again! Great show and would be even better under the Netflix label. Jericho is a show much like the Walking Dead and I think the WD actually used many of Jericho’s themes with a Zombie metaphorical twist to them. I enjoy both of those shows and would hope to see Jericho season 3 and 4 come to fruition…Woodbury and New Bern , one of many similarities between the two shows…My point is this, the Walking Dead has a pretty strong following and I think Jericho still has that potential…Get the deal done NETFLIX , bring back Jericho!

April 4, 2013 at 3:02 pm
(29) Jenny says:

Please please please bring back Jericho I Just finished what was left of season two on netflix and I want more! I know lots of other people who want it back too!!! Come on netflix and CBS you can work something out!!

April 5, 2013 at 3:48 am
(30) leslie says:

Please bring jericho back this show is awesome.

April 28, 2013 at 3:22 am
(31) Bill says:

Just finished watching all the Jericho’s episodes in 2 weeks. What a great show. CBS cancels shows way too soon historicity. Please bring this back. Best show I’ve seen in a long time. Much better than most of the shows now on tv

May 21, 2013 at 12:25 am
(32) Tom says:

I have just watched all the Jericho episodes that are available. Great shows, from what I have read a pretty good fan base. This is a story that could keep going for some time. So why not make more? Netflix? CBS? What’s it going to take to bring back Jericho?

May 24, 2013 at 1:51 pm
(33) Letterman87 says:

They really should bring this show back. It was so great that I went back and watched the whole thing three times! I just don’t understand why tv stations have to cancel all the good shows and give us crap like Two Broke Girls.

Netflix, fight for this show please.. Bring the show back! Jericho is awesome!

May 28, 2013 at 7:37 pm
(34) Jamie says:

This would be awesome. And to netflix, I can see how taking a chance on a show is a gamble, but reviving shows that were cancelled but still popular will help your business in the long run. Example would be that only on Netflix would people be able to see new episodes of Jericho..hence fans of Jericho would get netflix :)