1. Entertainment

BBC Cancels The Fades

By April 29, 2012

Iain de Caestecker as Paul in (I)The Fades(/i).

Iain de Caestecker as Paul in The Fades.

© BBC

Its sad enough that BBC Three had decided not to order another season of Jack Thorne's utterly brilliant dark supernatural series, The Fades. But what makes it even worse: The Fades died from friendly fire.

BBC Three has decided, it seems, that there's only room for one dark supernatural series on its grid, so it's chosen to concentrate on the established hit Being Human, leaving the much-talked-about newcomer to die on the vine after only six episodes.

The dissonance involved in canceling The Fades in the prime of its youth, its tremendous potential only partly realized, was underlined by a telling coincidence: the same week that the BBC confirmed the show's cancellation, The Fades was nominated for two Bafta awards, for writer Jack Thorne and for best drama. The show will be up against BBC One's Spooks, ITV's Scott and Bailey, and Channel 4's Misfits.

The BBC statement expressed contrition. "After much thought we've taken the difficult decision not to bring back The Fades. It was a brilliant first series, but on BBC3 we only have a limited budget for drama and decided on the return of Being Human." It seems part of BBC Three's drama budget is being reapportioned to BBC One as part of a repositioning of the smaller channel, leaving room only for a sampling of scripted programming rather than a spread.

(That points to the fact that the BBC decision has been in the wind for six weeks, since Being Human was renewed for a fifth season, and the show's Facebook page warned that a second season had not been commissioned in early April.)

The brilliance of The Fades and the exceptional work of creator Thorne and star Iain de Caestecker mean that this may not be the last word on The Fades. But whatever happens to young Paul, we won't be hearing about it on BBC Three.
Tags: The Fades, Jack Thorne, Iain de Caestecker
Follow me on Twitter  |  Follow me on Facebook

Comments

April 30, 2012 at 2:26 pm
(1) ChrisTea says:

Well, that’s a real shame! This show had a bit of a different take and I enjoyed watching it. I was also interested to see where the show would go next season. It’s extremely troublesome to fans of shows which are cancelled because of money instead of monotony. I’ve seen quite a number of wonderful programs cancelled way before their time. Yet, there are still a very large number of shows running on tv which aren’t worth your time. So much for creativity and imagination. :-(

April 30, 2012 at 3:22 pm
(2) Sharilyn says:

What a disappointment! I’ve been following this show praying it would be renewed, as I quite enjoyed it (actually I liked it better than Being Human). It doesn’t seem fair that the series can’t get a second chance on some other network.

May 5, 2012 at 7:18 am
(3) Marianne says:

It’s both sad and comforting to see the great and powerful BBC as devoid of true creativity and taste as American television has been for far too long. Reading this article takes a bit of the edge of disappointment out of Garrow’s Law being dumped too soon. The creators of that show did take some liberties with the true events of the lead character’s life, but the quality of the writing, acting and production were outstanding enough to allow for my suspension of disbelief. Too bad money keeps winning out to talent and quality entertainment on both sides of the pond,.

May 25, 2012 at 7:28 pm
(4) Ana says:
May 25, 2012 at 7:34 pm
(5) Ana says:
May 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm
(6) Lloyd says:

And of course it won a BAFTA tonight, what now aunty Beeb? Look the other way and pretend that Being Human hasn’t become tedious I suppose?

July 5, 2012 at 8:18 am
(7) Tim says:

They should have stuck with the Fades IMO, Being Human was great but this last series wasn’t as good as the first 2

July 22, 2012 at 3:29 am
(8) Tonya says:

I have been anxiously awaiting series 2 of The Fades, only to have my hopes dashed. I’m from the US where the quality of our TV shows has deteriorated greatly, with dramas and comedies being replaced with asinine “reality” shows.
I’ve been a huge fan of British telly for years, beginning with the Brit-coms shown on public TV, & extending to Doctor Who, Torchwood, Graham Norton, The Inbetweeners, & The Fades.
I suppose now that I’ve learned the fate of the show, I can stop looking for it on the guide. I was really excited to see what they did with “Paul” but guess now we’ll never know.

July 29, 2012 at 9:56 am
(9) Nancy says:

I’m sad to hear The Fades won’t be returning. The last episode left me wanting more and excited to find out what will happen next. I really hope they find a way to bring the show back.

July 29, 2012 at 9:56 am
(10) Nancy says:

July 29, 2012 at 9:59 am
(11) Nancy says:

One more comment…Being Human is nothing without Adian Turner.

August 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm
(12) Colin says:

Well I must say that I am REALLY REALLY upset the best show that has ever graced the BBC and its gone well I will never from now on watch any BBC channels till you put it back on

August 25, 2012 at 9:42 am
(13) Ritchie says:

FFS yet another great show gets the axe!

What is even the point of making new shows anymore? Just keep making the same old BS year after year.

I’ve just watched the last episode and was hungry to see where the story went next season, only to find that 6 episodes are all that there were ever made.

Pathetic waste of time.

September 21, 2012 at 12:08 am
(14) Kevin Dolan says:

A complete shame. The Fades was a great show and I had been looking forward to the 2nd season with great anticipation. I hope that BBC or another production company see’s the potential for a pick-up and makes it happen. I’d hate to see another office rob and have American tv take up the Fades, but even worse is to have the show not continue. The show and the concept deserve to carry on. Cone on BBC – make it happen!!

September 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm
(15) Mark Robinson says:

I’m American. I watched this show on BBC America because it kicked major tail. Now I was searching today and find out about this. Utter rubbish! as you might say…How about this BBC? How about not screwing people who love good drama over for the millionth time by
a TV station?! Damn…TV sucks in general, and that was like the X-files. I was that hooked. RIP indeed..

October 15, 2012 at 7:35 pm
(16) Sirjefffbeck says:

Fades was brilliant where Being Human has definitely lost its way. Typical decision – keep the old and stale and kill off the new and fresh. I’m disgusted.

October 22, 2012 at 1:58 am
(17) Rachel says:

I’ve been waiting and waiting for season 2 of The Fades. I’m really disappointed ! This was a great show and I’m not into shows like this. Something is terribly wrong that this show was canceled !

October 30, 2012 at 11:16 pm
(18) jade says:

DISAPPOINTED!!!! LOVED THIS SHOW!!! PLEASE PLEASE FIND ANOTHER NETWORK TO AIR THIS BRILLIANT SHOW, I WAS ANXIOUSLY WAITING TO SEE WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN IN SEASON 2. BEING HUMAN, REALLY!!!! I STOPPED WATCHING THAT AFTER THE 2ND SEASON

November 4, 2012 at 2:04 pm
(19) Steph says:

It was the same with the show Outcasts which both my husband and I enjoyed and series 2 of this was also axed by the BBC. There is so much rubbish on TV and it is a real shame when a show like Outcasts or the Fades really engages with is audience just leaves us with wanting more! Come on BBC stop showing re-runs and give us value for our TV licence fees!

December 10, 2012 at 12:35 am
(20) Pris says:

I just decided to Google what was taking so long for season 2. The horror …I loved this show and I am disappointed that it will not return. I tried watching Being Human and I don’t care for it. Prefer The Fades. Oh well at least Misfits is still on.

January 5, 2013 at 9:24 am
(21) jazzae says:

I live in the USA and I bloody love this show!!:) I have been telling my fam and friends and got most of them hooked ad well! We were talking abt the show and anticipated season 2 , wondering when it would start! I decided to look it up and much to my dismay, Its Freaking Canceled!! REALLY! !!”???!! abt to tune out of brit telly!:( How could you all do this to the fans?

January 11, 2013 at 7:52 am
(22) Nathan says:

Well hopefully they can use the money they save for “My big tits” series 18 and rest happy in the knowledge that the bank has a few more coins in it.

Why would a TV station want to make an award winning drama when disposable junk is so much cheaper to scrape off the floor and smear on our screens.

If a show as good as The Fades is unviable then sci-fi is dead.

January 18, 2013 at 2:14 am
(23) carlo says:

The Fades is better than Being Human! Always vampire wolf ghost smh..

January 18, 2013 at 4:35 pm
(24) Me says:

I think that the decision was a Bad one i loved Being Human but i find that it has had its run and should make way for something new.
The Fades was a brilliant show and easily one of the best so far where as Being Human has run its course and is getting very predictable, also the new characters are just not doing it.

January 21, 2013 at 1:02 pm
(25) Tony says:

Just watched The Fades on Amazon prime – brilliant – was really hoping for second season. I’m fed up with the US (and now UK) obsession with Vampires, Werewolves and slobering moaning Zombies all completly boring with same ‘fairy tale’ scenarios – will never watch ‘Being Human’ and its ilk. The Fades was whole different slant, clever. Hey any US networks want continue it ???

February 3, 2013 at 10:14 pm
(26) DMK says:

Well, that just sucks.

February 9, 2013 at 11:42 pm
(27) Cathy Stratton says:

I LOVE THE FADES!!!! I am very PISSED that you will not renew this show! I have a VERY FUNNY FEELING, that America is going to take it over though!!! I saw a preview of a “NEW” show coming on American TV, & the funny thing is…..People who were dying, had a “glowing heart”!!! Too DAMN CLOSE! The Fades was AH-Mazing! I don’t want you to sell out! Please! You had some wonderful New Actors, & you let them down!!!! STOP BEING AMERICA’s Leftovers!!!!! I LOVE BBC!!!!

February 10, 2013 at 11:57 am
(28) pixie says:

The Fades is so much better than Being Human!!!! They aren’t even in the same league. What a big mistake not continuing one of the best shows ive ever seen. The Fades and Misfits are increadibly brilliant!

February 18, 2013 at 5:07 pm
(29) kirsten says:

Devastated…….been waiting and waiting for a return of the fades hope someone sees the light and gets this show back on the road!!!!!

March 4, 2013 at 12:23 am
(30) Megan says:

PLEASE BRING THIS SHOW BACK!!!

The Fades was such a fantastic show!! It has been stuck in my head since the very first episode. When it ended I thought, thank goodness they left it open to have a second season! I am so upset about this!!

I REALLY hope they find a way to bring this back!

March 6, 2013 at 7:33 pm
(31) Sean says:

Now part way through the new series of being human it must be even morenobvious this programme should have finished (and frankly with all the original characters gone but a new set you could imagine experiencing it again was the perfect place to stop).
Such a shame that a new series which had such potential should have missed a chance to grow (or fail).
It wont be possible to pick this up again now, but hopefully the BBC can now commit to making something truely new.

March 9, 2013 at 1:16 am
(32) Joe says:

How can something this brilliant NOT be shining amongst the dreck. Somebody PLEASE pick it up!

March 10, 2013 at 10:11 pm
(33) becca says:

Bummer love the show. Now what? Hopefully the BBC three will realize what they have disicarded and get back to it!

March 23, 2013 at 1:07 pm
(34) Richard says:

That’s real bad!

March 26, 2013 at 7:31 pm
(35) Fiona says:

I loved this show and am very disappointed to hear there will not be a second series. The characters were quirky and believable and the story line really clever.

I can’t believe it lost out to Being Human – this show has become very tired. I gave up watching it ages ago. Why do we insist on flogging a dead donkey.

I would prefer to watch two or three seasons of a great show and be left wanting more rather than just drifting away from a show that has ground on interminably and lost it’s way.

March 26, 2013 at 10:05 pm
(36) Altheah says:

This is WRONG! Who makes these decisions at BBC? I wish it were democratic and we could vote in who makes these cuts – then you might actually have popular, quality shows. C’mon listen to fans you idiots!

March 28, 2013 at 4:52 am
(37) libtekhed says:

We’re just getting The Fades in Australia. The first ep had me intrigued and by the second I was completely hooked. I could see why it won a BAFTA. So you can imagine my horror when I found out the BBC cancelled such an original and brilliant series in place of Being Human, a show that has well over-run its prime. What a complete disappointment! Someone at the BBC should be sacked for making such an appallingly bad decision.

April 4, 2013 at 4:40 am
(38) Dan says:

Now that being human has been axed can we bring back the fades??????

April 7, 2013 at 3:09 am
(39) Rebecca says:

I live in America and just discovered this show, and I liked it more than Being Human. It was interesting and unique, while I feel BH is just another show on our Syfy channel.

April 14, 2013 at 3:50 pm
(40) EmiChris says:

Please bring back The Fades!!!! It was sooooo good and genuinely scary! Come on BBC do the right thing.

April 25, 2013 at 6:34 pm
(41) kelvin says:

i think it should move to the u.s

May 1, 2013 at 9:31 pm
(42) john says:

I live in Australia and this show is awesome.
Waited waited waiting for season 2.
What ?
Cancelled.
ARE YOU KIDDING !!!!!!!!
YOU( the person/s responsible ) are a DISGRACE!
Bring it back , same cast .
DID YOU ALSO CANCEL JEKYLL ?
You guys have lost me !
Try and have a nice day, in spite of yourself/ves.

May 19, 2013 at 2:00 am
(43) Ko says:

I like The Fades very much , bring it back !

June 7, 2013 at 6:28 pm
(44) Florida, USA says:

I have never watched “Being Human” and after seeing trailers for it, have no desire to watch it, not ever. I however watched the entire Series 1 of “The Fades” and am waiting for more. Apparently BBC can’t discern quality.

June 15, 2013 at 8:02 pm
(45) im shocked says:

That is really disappointing, how can you replace a show that is unique with so much potential, for a Hollywood clech’e! The fades was brilliant and original and I was hooked, don’t dissapoint the fans, please bring it back… You are making a mistake BBC!

June 16, 2013 at 5:02 am
(46) Georgia Kilsby says:

I love the fades so much! I watched it when it was first aired on BBC Three and i have now watched it so many times more. I love the unique storyline and i think its stupid that they cancel such a good show yet let other rubbish shows continue. It was nominated for awards and had such a big fanbase aswell BRING BACK THE FADES
BRING BACK THE FADES
BRING BACK THE FADES

June 16, 2013 at 5:03 am
(47) Georgia Kilsby says:

…..and the actors were brilliant they got the chemistry between the characters so right and i think if they had continued for more series it would be way more popular than being human

June 16, 2013 at 10:39 pm
(48) ChrisZ says:

wow I’m bummed, why would I actually google this show to see when it will be back if it wasn’t worth watching again……….:::::::sigh::::::::: who does the programming any way, numbers had to be good, so the excuses they gave were not acceptable IMO but oh well who am I, I am sorry to see it go

June 18, 2013 at 1:09 am
(49) Chris says:

Then I say good riddance to the BBC. They shouldn’t have taken it on if they couldn’t handle the future of the show. It’s not right to the audience. Though I am thankful that they did at least bring the show to light. Hopefully someone else will pick it up,