1. Entertainment

Gifted Man Cast Members Look for Plan B

By March 5, 2012

Margo Martindale stars as Rita Perkins-Hall on (I)A Gifted Man(/i) .. for the time being.

Margo Martindale stars as Rita Perkins-Hall on A Gifted Man .. for the time being.

© Craig Blankenhorn/CBS

Well, what would you do? If the show you're on is "certain to be canceled," wouldn't you grab the nearest lifeline you could? In the case of actors on a troubled series, the metaphorical lifeline would be a promising pilot, which comes out as a win-win for the actor involved -- you could always abandon the pilot if your current series is unexpectedly picked up -- but not for the people involved in the pilot, who'd have a gaping hole where their carefully chosen new actor used to be.

It's pretty common, of course -- that's what the two stars of No Ordinary Family did last year while the writing was on the wall, and this season, as the networks delay decisions on several marginal series, there have been even more cases of series-straddling. The latest example is Josh Hopkins, who just landed a role in NBC's comedy pilot Lady Friends despite still being attached to the not-yet-renewed, not-yet-canceled Cougar Town.

And now comes word that Margo Martindale -- one of the stalwarts of A Gifted Man, an Emmy winner (for Justified), and a perennial supporting player MVP -- has also set up a Plan B. Martindale has joined the cast of Counter Culture, ABC's sitcom pilot about three aging sisters running their family diner together in West Texas, as the eldest of the three sisters, according to TVLine. (Doris Roberts has already been cast on the pilot in a supporting role.) She's also guest-starring in the Masters and Johnson sexuality drama Masters of Sex for Showtime.

And it's not just Martindale: A Gifted Man co-star Rachelle Lefevre, who plays Kate on the series but is better known as the original Victoria in the Twilight franchise, also has a fallback. She's earned the lead role in the CBS pilot Applebaum, based on the Mommy Track Mysteries book series, says Deadline. The pilot, to be directed by Chris Columbus, is about an ex-public defender turned stay-at-home mom who, out of boredom, decides to become a p.i. (which, actually, sounds like an ideal role for her--even if Applebaum is a stupid name for a distaff p.i. drama).

Both pilot roles are in "second position," which means that if A Gifted Man is picked up for a second season, Martindale and Lefevre will stick with it, forcing Counter Culture and Applebaum (if either or both goes to series) to recast.

But don't take much comfort from that. Those are pretty major roles to have to drop in a new actor for, in both cases requiring reshooting and even rethinking the entire pilot. The producers behind Counter Culture and Applebaum wouldn't risk that if they--and the actors involved, and their agents--weren't pretty darn sure that A Gifted Man is a goner.

A Gifted Man ended its season with ratings slightly up for the finale, but people are acting like CBS has already canceled the series. It isn't over yet, though--there's been no official announcement--and there are fans trying to save the show (there's a petition available here, for example).
Tags: A Gifted Man, Margo Martindale, Rachelle Lefevre
Follow me on Twitter  |  Follow me on Facebook

Comments

March 30, 2012 at 10:41 pm
(1) Barbara says:

Please do not cancel the gifted man give it a chance people like the show it is better than rules of engagement thank you

March 30, 2012 at 10:57 pm
(2) Monte says:

It should not be cancelled! Good show with a message.

March 31, 2012 at 7:07 pm
(3) Carmela says:

Great show ,the series has good meaning and the cast is wonderful.

March 31, 2012 at 7:12 pm
(4) Carmela says:

Great show,I really enjoy watching it and the cast is great!

April 3, 2012 at 11:38 pm
(5) Evie says:

Give the show a second season. Love every episode that has been aired.

April 4, 2012 at 12:30 am
(6) Joey says:

Finally a fresh breath with this show, and here we go… the general population is enjoying stupidity of 2 n’ 1/2 man by far more. sad

April 4, 2012 at 6:47 pm
(7) Michele says:

Please don’t cancel this show. It is one of the best, most intelligent shows on!

April 4, 2012 at 9:31 pm
(8) Ring says:

PLEASE DO NOT cancel A Gifted Man! I absolutely love it! Every episode is a good one. I looked forward to seeing it every week.

April 5, 2012 at 5:18 pm
(9) Carol Ryan says:

Please do not cancel The Gifted Man – what a great show – it’s so good to have a show without so much violence and to have someone that cares…..about people. TV needs this show more than ever now.

April 6, 2012 at 7:44 pm
(10) debbie says:

My husband and I watch The Gifted Man every Friday Nite. We are hoping that it stays on the air!! We really enjoy the show!!

April 6, 2012 at 8:05 pm
(11) Blanca says:

Please, this is a wonderful show and I was always looking forward to it. Do not cancel.

April 6, 2012 at 9:02 pm
(12) Jules says:

Best show on Friday night, love it!

April 6, 2012 at 9:14 pm
(13) Patti says:

The Gifted Man became my favorite after just one episode! I hope it doesn’t end.

April 6, 2012 at 11:07 pm
(14) Debra says:

Please do not cancel “A Gifted Man,” It is a great show that actually allows and encourages watchers to form opinions and relate to the very different personalities on the show. Give it another season–everyone I know really loves the show, and Friday night is a tough night to find anything decent on television. It helps start the great lineup on CBS on Fridays.

April 6, 2012 at 11:07 pm
(15) Debra says:

April 6, 2012 at 11:07 pm
(16) Debra says:

April 6, 2012 at 11:07 pm
(17) Debra says:

April 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm
(18) Janice says:

Please don’t cancel A Gifted Man. I enjoy watching the show and am sick and tired of reality shows.

April 8, 2012 at 8:52 pm
(19) trish says:

Please consider keeping show on the air. It is fresh and the cast is fantastic. There is always a good message to be learned from every episode. We need that in today’s world.

April 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm
(20) Patricie says:

Please do not take off Gifted Man. I find the show interesting, but feels it’s on the wrong night.

Take off, The Mentalist. Tired of this show. It’s all the same. Boring.

April 11, 2012 at 10:02 pm
(21) Dot says:

I am a medical professional and I love this show! I learn something new every week. My husband watches it too and also enjoys it yet he does not have a medical background. It is a decent show and I find it better without the appearances of the deceased wife. I hope the producers give it another chance as I feel the ratings will be better now without Anna.

April 12, 2012 at 8:30 am
(22) David G says:

I looked forward to Friday evenings…just to watch A Gifted Man. Please do not cancel this show . I pray it is renewed for another season.

April 12, 2012 at 1:41 pm
(23) madi says:

Please do not cancel this new show. The stories are really interesting with good messages and so are the casts. The actors are great too. It’s one of the best new shows on TV, and the only good one on Fridays.

April 12, 2012 at 5:28 pm
(24) eva says:

I cannot believe shows like A Gifted Man are cancelled, while the junkie reality shows are rewed..I guess it says something about our society.

April 13, 2012 at 8:00 pm
(25) hania says:

I love this show – A Gifted Man. It’s so much better than many of the shows out there. I think they should give it more time. As people run across switching channels, they find out they like it. Some of my friends have come across it this way and are now regulars, except it hasn’t been on much lately. PLEASE . . . keep this show on the air!

April 13, 2012 at 8:29 pm
(26) Cheryl says:

Please do not cancel a Gifted Man!!! This is one of the VERY few shows I can’t wait to watch. There are plenty of reality shows to canel to free up air time. This show is fantastic, please renew it for another season.

April 13, 2012 at 11:21 pm
(27) Linda says:

I have watched this show since the first episode and I have been very upset that there’s been no new shows. I love this show and really don’t understand why it’s been on hold. Take of Terms of Engagement, that show is so stupid, same as 2 broke girls or The Mentalist. I so look forward to watching a gifted man and was hoping there was an upcoming relationship between the two main characters. Please DO NOT CANCEL.

April 17, 2012 at 12:45 am
(28) dena says:

don’t cancel the show! Dr. Holt and Kate need to be a couple!

April 17, 2012 at 10:46 pm
(29) Evangelina says:

finally a great entertaining tv shows come on and poof it is cancelled!..why??? cancel those dumb wanna be actors that are drunks and pot heads…this is the best show on tv!! PLEASE don’t cancel it!

April 17, 2012 at 10:53 pm
(30) Rebeca Portugal says:

Do not cancel it, please!

April 19, 2012 at 10:09 pm
(31) kathy says:

Gifted Man is one of my favorite shows, please don’t cancel

April 19, 2012 at 10:14 pm
(32) Kathy says:

Please don’t cancel A Gifted Man

April 22, 2012 at 6:39 am
(33) Miranda says:

Don’t cancel I really like this show

April 22, 2012 at 9:15 pm
(34) Alex says:

I really have no clue why anyone would ever cancel this. It truly is ridiculous. Everyone that I’ve introduced to this show automatically fell in love with it. Then when I had told them it was most likely going to be canceled, they were heartbroken. This is an amazing show and I wish other people would at least give it a chance. If people let it, it could transform into something even more magnificent then it already is.

April 24, 2012 at 10:37 am
(35) carol says:

Please do not cancel , A Gifted Man. This is a wonderful show!

April 25, 2012 at 5:15 am
(36) steve says:

Many people are hitting the nail on the head! The gen pop is more satisfied with mind numbing sex or blood craved idiotic crap instead of real shows with real characters with depth and a sense of drama! Wait, if the doc starts stalking someone and bites their neck and then euthanizes someone and then does abortions, then maybe people will watch it! Just a little warning…how much longer do you think God is gonna put up with His earth being defiled? Look at New Orleans, tsunami 2005, Tokyo, Haiti? Its not a coincidence that disaster strikes where there is a lot of atheism, voodoo witchcraft and bloodshed! May God have mercy on us all!

April 25, 2012 at 1:04 pm
(37) A Gifted Man says:

Do not cancel this show. It is awsome!

April 25, 2012 at 8:43 pm
(38) Barbara & Liz says:

Please don’t cancel “A Gifted Man” – it’s an excellent show with a great cast!

April 27, 2012 at 8:10 pm
(39) JoAnne says:

Please do not cancel A Gifted Man. There are only a handful of decent shows on TV and this one is among the BEST!!
Thank you for your consideration!

April 27, 2012 at 9:32 pm
(40) pj says:

This is one of the best shows on TV. Everyone I have made watch it really thinks it’s good. Move it from Friday nights and it will get better ratings!

April 30, 2012 at 11:40 am
(41) Obie says:

Excellent show! I hope it gets a second season – I loved every episode shown so far – I never missed it on a Friday and if I did I would download the episode.

April 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm
(42) Rosa says:

I love this show so much, please do not cancel this show, it is a great show with a wonderful cast. My opinion you all could lose the ghost, everything else is remarkable. When I watch this show I cannot take my eyes off the screen, so are you kidding me this cannot happen, please.

May 1, 2012 at 8:22 pm
(43) chrl says:

please don’t cancel “Gifted Man”!! it is different, fresh faces, good stories, no more sitcoms!!!

May 2, 2012 at 10:24 pm
(44) nj says:

WHY is yet ANOTHER great show cancelled so fast? A Gifted Man is great and we never missed an episode! Someone PLEASE remind me why I pay EXTRA for cbs, abc, nbc? Maybe I should CANCEL them.

May 3, 2012 at 10:51 pm
(45) Marie says:

It is a shame to cancel such an entertaining program. This is one of the two programs that I made sure I was home to watch. I did not miss a single episode. The characters were great, the story lines were entertaining as well as informative and the cast and acting was superb. Anna could appear less that is the only flaw I can see in the program.

May 4, 2012 at 6:06 pm
(46) Linda says:

Please don’t cancel A Gifted Man. It’s one of the few intelligent, engaging shows on TV. It’s got a great message and a wonderful cast. It should run for a long time to come!

May 4, 2012 at 6:47 pm
(47) Alice says:

I don’t watch much T.V. at all but find Friday nite is something I look forward to because of the gifted man. Hope it doesn’t get cancelled

May 4, 2012 at 8:32 pm
(48) NanaB says:

Why is it when we finally get a good show it is cancelled!! I agree with so many…it is an excellent show with a message behind each episode. I was just googling to see when Season 2 starts and found out its going to be cancelled!!! I think the people of the publc should have a vote on shows before they are renewed or cancelled then maybe there will be better shows kept on the air like A GIfted Man and shows that are crude and have no meaning taken off the air!!

May 5, 2012 at 5:48 pm
(49) Linda says:

One of my favorites with an original story line. It has all elements of great series. I hope you will not cancel it. Please bring it back.

May 5, 2012 at 7:09 pm
(50) Donna says:

I like the show, and miss it.

May 6, 2012 at 1:25 am
(51) elini says:

plzzz do not cancel this show….its so amazingly beautiful….

May 8, 2012 at 6:03 pm
(52) Tricia says:

A Gifted Man is not like the other TV shows you see out there. It does not deal with the same old drama shows or crime scene. This show gives a good moral in each episode and shows no negativity to their audience. Just because their ratings aren’t in the top does not mean that it won’t be there soon if it continues to be aired. I’ve seen so many shows that have no story to them that continue to be aired each week. Please see the truth in this program and understand that this show is one of the strongest moral shows I’ve seen in a long time if not my entire life.

May 8, 2012 at 9:46 pm
(53) georgina inzunza says:

I LIKE THE SERIE. IN FACT THAT IS THE ONLY I noticed. DONT PRIVATE I NOT SEE THE HANDSOME OF PATRICK WILSON FOR, PLEASE. OTHER SERIES NOT REALLY HAVE LIKED ME. THEN NOT THAN ANY VERE GIFTMEN.

May 10, 2012 at 5:57 am
(54) CAROL says:

Please don’t cancel The Gifted Man. The show always good stories & the cast are great.

May 10, 2012 at 6:34 pm
(55) Mary says:

Please reconsider and KEEP A Gifted Man ON. There aren’t that many shows that a family can sit and watch. There is always a lesson to be learned. My husband and I look forward to this show each week. Try putting it on during the week, there isn’t anything worth while on Wednesdays. A different night in a different time slot may do better but it is a show that is definitely worth keeping. PLEASE listen to what the people want to see.

May 12, 2012 at 2:55 am
(56) Bonnie says:

PLEEZE don’t cancel this series. I love the cast and the stories are heartfelt and have great messages. I have seen every show. I think putting it on Friday night was the reason for the low ratings.

May 12, 2012 at 3:10 pm
(57) A says:

Don’t cancel the Gifted Man. Great Show.

May 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm
(58) Carla says:

This show is so well written and has interesting and compelling characters that win your heart and tick you off, just like in life! I see these mindless shows with no message, no redeeming social value being renewed and I am baffled as to what demographic they are trying to attract. It’s scary to see those succeed when a fine show like ths is canned. We are NOT stupid! Give us something to think about!!! Renew A Gifted Man!

May 12, 2012 at 7:23 pm
(59) Heidi says:

Please don’t cancel this great program! It is so well written, the cast is stellar, the production is wonderful. It is one of the few TV shows where everything comes together. And, it is appealing to all ages, my 17-year-old grandson watches it religiously.

May 12, 2012 at 10:07 pm
(60) celina jones:) says:

Plz do not cancel it its a super show I love it drama its the best sow ever!!!!!!!!!!!! I looked forward to watching it supense everything. Was sooo interesting but I bee soooooo saaaad if u guys cancel it plz don’t give it a chance

May 14, 2012 at 10:08 am
(61) Tom says:

Great show my wife and I love it. Clean and refreshing. Funny and serious. A great mix of talent.

May 14, 2012 at 10:27 pm
(62) Honora says:

Please don,t let this gem go, try it on another night, it,s the only show my husband and I watch together, like I said before, M.A.S.H DID NOT TAKE OFF IN IT,S FIRST SEASON, so please, please dont get rid of it.

May 14, 2012 at 10:31 pm
(63) Honora says:

Please dont remove A GIFTED MAN FROM your rotation, I love this show, I,m so sick of all the cop shows, and stupid sit- coms, this show has what it takes to be big, put it on another night, somthing, just don,t get rid of it.

May 21, 2012 at 8:40 pm
(64) Thelma Ford says:

I love the gifted man. Never missed an episode. One of the best shows on television in a very long time.

May 24, 2012 at 9:38 am
(65) Jennifer says:

Great show , loved the cast and the story line was always so inspirational……miracles do happen . Please don’t take it off the air we need good shows that give hope and faith as a message !!!!!

June 8, 2012 at 10:10 pm
(66) Lil says:

Please, please don’t cancel A Gifted Man. This is by far the best show on T V. This show has such heart warming episodes. The stories are well written and depict what it really means to help our fellow man in time of need. The cast of this show are superb actors. This is the one and only show I watched on Friday evening and I will really miss it if it is not renewed. Get rid of the absent minded reality shows and leave this show on for those of us who appreciate it. I am so sick of the meaningless shows that are on TV. The powers that be should get their act together and listen to what their viewing audience is telling them. I will be looking forward to seeing Michael and the rest of the crew back on Friday night. Don’t let all of us down. Thanks for the opportunity to express my thoughts .

June 12, 2012 at 3:41 pm
(67) carmen says:

Gifted Man is one of my favorite shows, please don’t cancel

July 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm
(68) Dr. Daughter says:

A Gifted Man was one of the best new shows on TV…..please bring it back…..I just can’t believe you canceled it………bad move…..bad, bad, bad!

July 15, 2012 at 10:45 pm
(69) vanessa says:

CBS is really sinking to very low morals. They will cancel a show like The Gifted Man but keep renewing a show like Two and a Half Men!!!
That show is the devil’s workplace!
You people at CBS need to stop and think, “Hey,” you know there might be some viewers that like a show without so much perverted stuff !
Is it that shocking that there are some of us out there that like a show that shows that people can care about each other without a price tag, when they can’t afford it!!!!

SHAME ON YOU CBS!!

August 7, 2012 at 6:49 pm
(70) John burke says:

I live in the UK and this evening showed the pilot episode of A Gifted Man on Watch.
A brilliant and refreshing show with the same feel good factor as Touch.
I’m very much looking forward to seeing where this show goes in story and character development.
Please give it a second season so that viewers can continue to be uplifted and be open to a world were love and beauty exist both in the human heart and our connection with those in spirit.

August 16, 2012 at 11:41 pm
(71) donna says:

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW! It is my favorite show!

August 16, 2012 at 11:43 pm
(72) Donna says:

PLEASE DON’T CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!!! It is my favorite!

August 16, 2012 at 11:47 pm
(73) Donna says:

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!! It is my favorite!

November 18, 2012 at 3:38 pm
(74) Sarah says:

I was so looking forward to the next season of the Gifted Man. It is a treat show. Please don’t cancel this show.

November 20, 2012 at 5:54 pm
(75) Debbie M says:

Just finished watchin the final episode of gifted man.brilliant show. I can’t believe it’s being cancelled.there a lot of crap on British tv and this made a pleasant change.please bring on season 2 asap.

November 20, 2012 at 6:51 pm
(76) Audrey Cheesman says:

We have just watched the last episode of A Gifted Man expecting to be told when the second series would start and when it didn’t, checked online. We cannot believe there isn’t going to be another series, it has been brilliant, far better than most of the stuff we get clobbered with (especially these ridiculous vampire shows) and we have had it on series record since episode one.
Has it definitely been decided not to have Series 2 or is there just a little hope?

AJay
UK

November 21, 2012 at 6:41 pm
(77) arlean tay-chan says:

Fixed to the tv even tho i got the flu–but this is one of those shows the cbs execs mistook for a ‘dud’. No dud here head and shoulders above the soap opera ‘doctor shows’ I have to avoid fr. Network to network. They got the right elements of writing, science intrigue, excitement and a touch of romance with some complexities of life Great Balance!! This isn’t the only wrong show on chopping block–thanx Netflix!!!

November 22, 2012 at 6:49 am
(78) Peter Moran says:

Have really enjoyed watching this series. I do hope there is another. Would be a great shame if not.

November 25, 2012 at 3:16 pm
(79) Sue Huntley says:

It’s unbelievable that CBS Cancels a show that good! I would have to say CBS sucks!

November 26, 2012 at 1:13 am
(80) laura says:

Just started watching AGM on Netflix and really love it. Please don’t cancel it. I love everything about the show.

November 26, 2012 at 12:10 pm
(81) Mona says:

Gifted Man, the best show ever…hope it’s not cancelled…really enjoyed watching every episode…please give us more…

December 22, 2012 at 5:37 pm
(82) Mike says:

Glad Netflix picked this up, otherwise I would have never seen it. Maybe they need to start branching out to generate supplemental seasons for programs like this, McLeod’s Daughters, Heartland, Friday Night Lights and so on. Gave everyone of them a 5 rating, and just wish there were more episodes to watch.

January 2, 2013 at 6:54 pm
(83) Ramona Santorelli says:

I needed to unwind after a long morning, so I decide to watch a tv show since I NEVER

January 10, 2013 at 2:32 pm
(84) Vick says:

I am just now watching A Gifted Man on Netflix. Why cancel it? The show is great. It is intellectually stimulating and has a great story line. Put it on a different night in an eight o’clock time. Just use some judgement and don’t match it against NCIS or Bones.

January 12, 2013 at 1:02 pm
(85) Jo Ann Plouffe says:

I really hope we will se a second season to a gifted man. I think its a show where values are examined under a different light. Where violence and murders are not the stars of the show. PLEASE. give it a chance.

January 14, 2013 at 5:05 pm
(86) rachel says:

PLEASE do not cancel the gifted man, it is a brilliant series, couldnt wait to watch the next episode to see what happens in it. Me and my husband loved the Gifted Man and we will be very disappointed if there will not be a second series.

January 18, 2013 at 12:46 am
(87) Lisa says:

This show was amazing! My husband actually would sit and watch with me which never happens. I wish the network could have done a better job on promoted this series. Give it another chance! Great cast, script, and unique.

January 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm
(88) maria says:

I am totally bummed out. My husband and I love the show A Gifted Man and are so disappointed that it won’t be on anymore. Can anyone tell me what all the main actors will be playing in. It was one of the best series that I have seen in many years! Why do they keep crap on and get rid of good television? Very, very disappointed.

January 21, 2013 at 5:27 pm
(89) nancy says:

:( bring it back!!!!!

January 24, 2013 at 8:26 pm
(90) Sam says:

I do not watch TV at all! I watched “A gifted man” on Netflix and can’t believe it was cancelled. I loved it! Why was it cancelled?

January 31, 2013 at 8:55 pm
(91) Margaret says:

Saw it on netflix was a very good show hoping to see more episodes in the future need to know if Dr. Sacorra stays with her husband!!!!And what happen to Anna spirt when her heart died Please!!!!!

February 10, 2013 at 12:48 am
(92) ANKE says:

Great show, fantastic actors good conversations, real people. Please continue,

February 21, 2013 at 4:22 pm
(93) George says:

Perfect casting, perfect idea, perfect storying telling, perfect everything. Only people with no brains or sense of morality would cancel the show.

February 22, 2013 at 1:59 am
(94) Chris says:

I have never watched a TV series that keeps me such hooked. I can’t believe they canceled the show. This is nuts!!

March 4, 2013 at 1:14 pm
(95) Mj says:

Please bring this show back!!! This is the only show that I enjoy watching on tv! I love love how I can learn so much about different diagnosis since I am a ore med student ! Pleaseeeee thanks!

April 6, 2013 at 1:29 am
(96) Adriana says:

We need this show back after watching it on Netflix I am hooked!! So sad it’s gone!

May 9, 2013 at 10:53 am
(97) mayra says:

Great actors. Great drama. love the show. Watched the first season on Netflix in less than a week. Please bring it back! !!!!

May 27, 2013 at 3:36 am
(98) Salman says:

Every other show is a crime drama and all.
Gifted Man was my first choice on Netflix, will be missed.