1. Entertainment

Syfy's Being Human Renewed for Season 3

By February 13, 2012

Meaghan Rath as Sally, Sam Witwer as Aiden, and Sam Huntington as Josh in the Syfy version of (I)Bei

Meaghan Rath as Sally, Sam Witwer as Aiden, and Sam Huntington as Josh in the Syfy version of Being Human.

© Jeff Riedel/Syfy

Even as Being Human fans eagerly anticipate the stateside debut of the original British series's fourth season, we hear that the North American knock-off is doing better than ever--so well that only four episodes into its sophomore year it's easily won renewal for a third season.

The network cited impressive ratings increases over season 1--viewership is up 15% over last year, 27% among adults 18-49--and strong storylines in announcing the renewal. The season premiere had 2.4 million total viewers in Live + 7 data, the network said.

And there's something else that Syfy, in particular, is always keen to capitalize on: it continues to carry a strong female viewership--over half of the viewing audience, in fact. Conventional wisdom holds that science fiction and fantasy scripted television tends to skew male, so genre shows like Being Human and Warehouse 13 that draw female viewers are especially valuable.

Syfy's first season garnered a 53% female audience, and so far this year the distaff share has held steady at 52%, allowing Being Human to retain the distinction of being Syfy's most female-skewing scripted series ever.

"Jeremy Carver and Anna Fricke have taken this series to new heights this year," said Mark Stern, Syfy's president of original content, "and we're excited to see where the third season will go."

Season 3, like the previous seasons, will run 13 episodes and will air in early 2013. Not that it matters, but the third season will incidentally put the North American version ahead of its source material in terms of episode count: the UK version has run 31 episodes through the current season 4 (one 6-episode and three 8-episode seasons); with season 3, the Syfy version will reach 39 episodes.
Tags: Being Human, Syfy
Follow me on Twitter  |  Follow me on Facebook

Comments

August 18, 2012 at 2:07 am
(1) carrie smith says:

Comment about being human. I love this show. I call caught about the last 4 or 5 episodes of season 1. however it took so long for season 2 to start that my neighbor and I didn’t know when or if there would be another season so once again we miss the first couple episodes. thankfully they were repeated and we were able to see the whole season 2. but now once again your waiting almost a year before starting the show up again. I think you would grab more viewers attention expecially if you’re looking for women veiwers if you tape more than 13 episodes and stretch play two season each year or even 3 times. this way your viewers don’t get bored or miss the show and start watching something out. you know nowadays people have shorts bands of attention and waiting a year for a tv program makes people forget. as I said I love this show but even I can’t remember the end of the last season’s episode

August 19, 2012 at 1:47 pm
(2) Tamara Gailes says:

I agree with Carrie smith. Who wants to wait almost s year for the next season? Totally makes you forget about the show. Shortening the wait will really keep your viewer interested. I can’t wait

August 26, 2012 at 12:14 am
(3) diane hotaling says:

i agree as a women and two bros that watch the show as well a year is too long to wait….. but the show is phenomenal just love it

August 27, 2012 at 9:37 pm
(4) Judy Wylie says:

I love this show and look forward to watching it. I agree with the other people’s comments on waiting too long to start a new season. It seems like forever between seasons and I don’t want to miss the start of the new season but remembering to think about it in early 2013 is a little far fetched for me. Please consider shortening the time in between seasons. Keep up the good work. This is an awesome show.

What date is it scheduled to air?????

August 28, 2012 at 10:36 pm
(5) richard says:

I second that emotion. WHEN DOES IT AIR? This is about the only one of my shows that I my wife also enjoy. Is this the next ‘Star Trek’? a strong cult following but no studio support?

August 29, 2012 at 9:14 am
(6) April says:

I love this show! It is so crazy to make us wait so long for the upcoming season. Most shows do not go that long. I really look forward to its return.

August 31, 2012 at 4:38 pm
(7) Juan Diego Ramierez says:

Man, just love the show and can’t wait for its return

September 4, 2012 at 9:27 pm
(8) tiffany payne says:

BEING HUMAN is literally one of my top fav shows if not my apsolute favorite!!!!ever since i was really young i have always been the one out of all my friends and even my school to try new things first and do a lot of things out of the ordinary. for example i was obsessed with vampires and werewolves way before people thought they were cool…well at least before any one i new were in to vampires i was always looking for vampire/werewolves shows and movies and now im so happy to have a few to choose from and i watch them all but besides trueblood being human is my favorite. but i do 100% agree with other viewers that the should not be such a bug gap between seasons im pretty much in agony waiting for the new season….CANT WAIT FOR THE NEW SEASON OF BEING HUMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

September 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm
(9) DMar says:

This show is great. Shorter wait time would be fantastic. I love the cast and love the storylines.

October 7, 2012 at 5:25 pm
(10) dee says:

i loved this show i cant wait till a new season comes out i have been waiting for it and i am excited when will it come out with a new series? good job cast and crew but i would also like the same actors sally adien, and josh love them bbc seriuesis too weird for me

any ways ty plz air soon waiting

October 11, 2012 at 4:07 pm
(11) Kathy says:

I love this show. Can’t wait for the new season. When is the air date?

October 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm
(12) Karianne says:

I have been caught up in Being Human. I even have my MUM watching it. She asked me the other night “when does our Vampire, Ghost and Wolf show start???” I said I’d look into it. I really don’t mind the wait. Waiting makes it even better…and you get to catch up on the previous season(s)…I am psyched now that I know it has been renewed! WAY COOL!!!!!

November 16, 2012 at 12:39 am
(13) Harry C. says:

Most if not all of your viewers agree the long wait between seasons is way too long. It would help if you could do a couple of specials during the long wait, such as perhaps a 2-hour independent show or tv movie about the series. Also, airing the 1st and 2nd seasons periodically through the wait time window, perhaps starting with season one and then progressing to season 2. One show a week for 26 weeks would get and keep the current audience and gain new ones who see the show for the first time. Just voicing my opinion. We miss the show, the cast, and would be thrilled to see repeats while waiting for the new season 3 to start.

November 30, 2012 at 9:24 pm
(14) Cristina K. says:

I agree — too much time between the seasons!!! I love this show and its great, but we really need MORE of being human. This captures the werewolf and vampire hype that’s going around and I love the ghost! I forgot her name because it’s been so long!!! Please listen to us!!! We are the biggest fans! Taking the time to write a comment is a true fan!

December 5, 2012 at 1:09 pm
(15) Derrick says:

By far Being Human is the best show that has been on tv in a while, next season needs to be here now!!

December 8, 2012 at 4:24 am
(16) shokooh says:

IT RETURN ON 14 JAN-2013..
I LOVE THIS SHOW.. I CANT WAITING MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEE..
I LOVE SAM WITWER :d

December 8, 2012 at 4:27 am
(17) shokooh says:

I LIKE THIS SHOW SO MUCH.. IT RETURN ON 14-JAN-2013. I CANT WAITING MORE
I LOVE SAM WITWER HES SO CUTE :)

December 27, 2012 at 11:31 am
(18) Jaime Morrell says:

I love Being Human, it’s one of the shows that I hate to miss.
When your watching you hate to see it go off. I think the show was cast perfectly, the story lines are strong and the way it is shot is impressive. I hope I can get the show on DVD soon. Good work Syfy for renewing a really good series.

December 29, 2012 at 12:30 pm
(19) Cristina says:

The new season starts January 14, 2013.

April 20, 2013 at 10:37 am
(20) Dewey says:

farmacia on line will work to quickly lose the extra pounds accumulated over the holidays evading relatives slaving over this bad
boy is definitely not an off-label use of this drug.