1. Entertainment

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Warehouse 13 Season 4 Gets an Upgrade

By January 16, 2012

Joanne Kelly, Allison Scagliotti, and Eddie McClintock in (I)Warehouse 13(/i).

Joanne Kelly, Allison Scagliotti, and Eddie McClintock in Warehouse 13.

© Syfy

Thirteen episodes—which, almost coincidentally, actually corresponds to what we normally mean when we say "season" in other contexts—has progressively become a standard length for series appearing on cable television, thanks in part to the increasing visibility on American screens of shows originating in Canada or Britain, where 6- and 13-episode runs have long been common.

Syfy, in particular, has embraced the 13-episode season: where once shows like Eureka, Sanctuary, and, going further back, Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica routinely got 20-episode orders that were often then broadcast in two widely separated ten-ep half-seasons, lately Syfy's orders have been for nice, compact 13-episode runs. And this often works out well for both the network and the shows' producers: the network can more easily block out its fall, winter/spring, and summer seasons with big debuts in September/October, January, and July; and the producers can build story arcs in convenient 13-episode (or 6- and 7-episode) chunks.

So it was an interesting reversion, highlighting the importance of its most popular scripted series, when Syfy announced this week that Warehouse 13—hitherto exclusively 13 episodes, and previously slated at the same number for this summer's season 4—now has seven more episodes to play with.

Warehouse 13 has not only beat out Syfy's other dramas, but it's been building on its own success—season 3 was its most-watched run yet. This achievement was already been rewarded with a steampunk-themed spin-off series for the Helena Wells character, and now this further expansion of the franchise.

When will the extra episodes air? That part isn't clear. There are two possibilities. Syfy might launch season 4 early, in April instead of July. Or, and this seems to me more likely, the first ten or thirteen will air in the summer as planned, and the rest will air as season 4.5 in the fall. In that scenario, Syfy might be intending that Warehouse 13 accompany Sanctuary—or run instead of it. A third possibility is that season 4.5 will be held back to air with the Wells spin-off, which is still in the early stages of development but might still debut with the winter 2013 season.
Tags: Syfy, Warehouse 13
Follow me on Twitter  |  Follow me on Facebook

Comments

February 12, 2012 at 8:14 pm
(1) rspar says:

I hate the way the move the seasons around what happened to the predictability of the tv seasons? Sometimes I don’t even know a series has restarted. I really miss Eureka don’t know why they pulled it. If Sanctuary dies I’ll be down to one show on syfy Warehouse 13.

February 19, 2012 at 2:49 pm
(2) Hector Henry says:

they should just email all fans in a newsletter letting them know when the season has restarted. we find other things to do onthe shows off season. and don’t allways see the commercials for the new season. a bit more consideration for your loyal viewers

February 19, 2012 at 8:21 pm
(3) Sengre says:

I am a huge fan of WH13, Haven, and Sanctuary. I hope all 3 shows continue. I am also looking forward to H.G.’s story-line. There are so many myths and objects they could play off of. Keep them coming SyFy and I’ll keep watching.

February 25, 2012 at 9:54 am
(4) Martyn Nixon says:

Literally just watched the last episode of season 3 (late addict to the show). How/why would you leave it hanging like that? . . . Need season 4 NOW!!

February 26, 2012 at 1:41 pm
(5) JCL says:

re: rspar

As current posting: EUREKA, S5 (final). Airs 4-16-12, 13eps.

March 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm
(6) tammycu says:

Love warehouse and Eureka – i miss Eureka – heard was too expensive – and they just took off Terra Nova off another network – bummer – maybe SCI-FI will pick it up -

March 11, 2012 at 7:26 pm
(7) Steve says:

I agree with you Martyn, this clearly falls under the category of cruel and unusual punishment.

March 19, 2012 at 11:10 pm
(8) Stephanie Sparks says:

I liked how Stargate Atlantis did their seasons…half in the summer, and have in the winter. It was a little break, when the weather allowed you to go outside, but wasn’t so long that you started to forget about it. By the time I heard warehouse 13 (and other shows I like) had restarted, they were half over! It was frustrating, to say the least!

March 20, 2012 at 1:44 pm
(9) Alex Atkin UK says:

I hate it when they split seasons into two parts, its either a season or its not – get that straight.

The problem is when its aired like this it leaves the story hanging and by the time the second part airs, you have lost the plot (quite literally). Its just very very jarring.

It would be fine perhaps if shot as if it was two different seasons (which it really is) but it seems to be written/shot as if its going to be watched in one long stretch, not with a big gap in the middle.

March 25, 2012 at 2:05 am
(10) Bobby says:

Eureka is so WAY better than WH13 I’m damn pissed off that they’re stopping it and continuing WH13.

One can easily see how WH13 is cheap to produce – it is flat out STUPID in technical details.

A few nice actors here and there save the day usually, but for the most part it’s screamingly uncredible and yet taking itself serious enough as to underscore that lack of credibility.

Eureka, on the other hand, was more of a comedy than a thriller and set up in a totally made up enviornment where pretty much anything couild – and does! – go without raising an eyelid.

I can easily see how it is more expensive to make…it is just better in any single way I can think of.

Oh well, except perhaps H. Wells.

She’s charming and totally deserves a larua croft franchise of her own.

April 2, 2012 at 11:59 pm
(11) Darzzy says:

Please find a way to let us all know when whse 13 season 4 is going to air! I cannot find the date or time anyehere!!! I need more whse 13!!!!

April 8, 2012 at 8:36 pm
(12) Sheila says:

I love Wearhouse 13. I wish you would let people know when season 4 is starting. Can’t wait.

April 12, 2012 at 9:55 pm
(13) Julie says:

I agree. Need to know when it’s going to restart. If creators want to keep their audiences they need to quit with the huge gaps between seasons. Us the viewers need to let them know we’ll switch networks.

April 22, 2012 at 4:40 pm
(14) scott mcvey says:

me and my wife both love warehouse 13 when is it coming back on

May 7, 2012 at 4:08 pm
(15) overflyer says:

Since the cancellation of SGU I just say FU Syfy! You wont earn any more monay off of me!

May 11, 2012 at 3:16 am
(16) Steel says:

way to mislead the reader. talk about season and industry logistics and not the actual show. wouldn’t have bothered reading. this way you get to be one of the mindless corporate thinking drones – way to go.

May 16, 2012 at 7:28 pm
(17) reb says:

Warehouse 13 season 4 starts July 23, 2012

May 20, 2012 at 5:20 am
(18) Eric says:

Lol syfi

LoL net works

*Goes back to watching my full seasons free online.*

May 20, 2012 at 5:36 am
(19) Eric says:

Oh bobby, Ya fan boy ^_^

Eureka Pros

Interesting setting

Decent humor *depending on your taste of course*

Plausible, it made you believe in a one off universe such things could easily happen.

Cool tech

Cool tech

Cool tech

Eureka Cons

Lack of story progression

Sterile universe *feels faked* comes to mind bit of a try hard imo tho quite for for the first season or 2 at least for me.

Hm I suppose the way to say it is lack of a overlying plot? Something to tie it all together u know like sg1 had *save the earth*. Random shlt going down in a interesting gets a bit old after awhile unless the show was designed sitcom style.

Purely personal con, I just didn’t like 3 4ths of the humor, didn’t work for me.

Purely personal con 2.0 GOD DAM LoCKER FULL OF SPACE GUNS AND THEY DON’T GET USED LIKE EVER MUCH LESS BY THE SHERIFF THIS IS NOT FRICKEN MAYBERRY USE THE GOD DAM GUNS!!!!!!!

June 4, 2012 at 1:47 am
(20) Mike says:

“lately Syfy’s orders have been for nice, compact 13-episode runs” is said like it’s a good thing. 20+ episodes would be a good thing. We don’t want lazy producers thinking 13 is ok. Fans get frustrated with short seasons. Man up and write more

June 6, 2012 at 2:17 pm
(21) David says:

I remember when 26 or 30 episodes was a ‘season’. Even the original Star Trek had about 30 episodes per season.

June 12, 2012 at 10:17 am
(22) Kat says:

I really dislike as another poster mentioned, the moving around of seasons all the time and I hate the trend towards shorter seasons. It makes sticking with a show difficult. However I have started tracking shows on sidereel and every time I start a new show I add it to track and I get notices when the shows will be on. I also wish they’d make the new season start up dates a lot easier to find. It would make sticking with a show a lot easier. I stopped watching so many series over the years because i got sick of trying to keep up with new episodes. You get 2 new ones and a week off, 3 new ones and 2 weeks off, 1 new one and then it’s off for 2 or 3 months. It breaks the series up too much so it’s hard to keep track of what is gong on and I just give up finally.

June 14, 2012 at 6:43 am
(23) Daniel says:

WH 13 isn’t strictly science fiction, more along the lines of fantasy. Aside from that, I completely love it.
Mainstream network tv isn’t very kind towards science fiction or fantasy series. Unfortunately the SyFy channel has been trying to distance itself from the very fan base that they were originally trying to target, starting w / the cancellation of the BSG universe prequel ” Caprica “, which was just starting to hit its stride when SciFi became SyFy, & starting to run wrestling ( !! ) & reality shows. Shows like Warehouse 13, the American / Canadian version of BBC’s Being Human series, reruns of SG : 1, Stargate Atlantis, & to a lesser extent, Eureka are the few reasons why I still WATCH the new, ” improved ” SyFy.

I like the ” team / family ” vibe of Warehouse. It’s not all about gadgetry, machines, & high – tech gimmickry, it’s largely the characters. I felt the same way about SG:1 & SG:A.

June 20, 2012 at 8:53 am
(24) Caroline says:

Lots of non-network channels have been airing shows just in the summer or doing 13 week blocks for several years now. Unlike the major networks which air shows from September – May with huge breaks during the holidays and reruns to fill in the time to hit the big rating periods.

Doing the shorter blocks allows for a compact season and the ability to run several shows in a year.

June 24, 2012 at 3:39 pm
(25) SnifflingFan says:

Big Bummer re: Sanctuary! RUDE to fans. Agree with prior writers– Eureka fabulous, witty, humorous…and cancelled, at least with finale episode coming and fore-warning. NO WARNING ON WAREHOUSE 13, terrible advertising for Season 4, … and fwiw, Fringe cancelled too, even Fox Network gave them notice so they could do a decent season and finale. Not even some cool fionale episode! WHAT is with SyFy??? Horror and wrestling, anyone?

July 9, 2012 at 4:45 pm
(26) shelly says:

im so thrilled its coming back and there will be more episodes. im not going to like it if they split the season i half though. that does tend to annoy me. i feel like if its one season it needs to all be together not at different times. this is my favorite show on tv. i mean i like a few other shows that are during the year but no where near as much as i do this show. i hope it goes on for at least 4 more seasons. it be disapointing if it ended any sooner. then by the time it does if it did that they should have more really good shows on the station. or so i hope

July 21, 2012 at 4:08 am
(27) Sheila says:

Can someone please tell me when warehouse 13 will be shown on British TV I thought it was July 23 but have checked and it’s not there

October 21, 2012 at 9:36 pm
(28) Adam R. says:

I hope WH 13 gets many more seasons, it’s a great show – they need an episode about the magic 8 ball – where when you ask it a question and whatever it answers will be your actual answer.

October 30, 2012 at 9:10 pm
(29) Shawn says:

Why is every whining on here… email syfy people! Complaining here isnt going to do any good.

December 1, 2012 at 8:24 pm
(30) Aimee says:

when does the next season come out?? i think season 5

January 10, 2013 at 10:44 pm
(31) Michael says:

I am in love with warehouse 13, who cares if they break up the season. As long as there is more that’s all I truly care about, I don’t understand how people are going to complain about it not being like eureka! I’m pretty sure if we made the same type of show, no one would watch it because its to similar. In WH13 they tie everything together between science and real world objects. You can’t compare that to engineering science of eureka. Don’t get me wrong eureka was amazing I loved it but it did get a bit drab towards the end…sadly…Syfy, don’t worry about the negitive’s that people have to say, if they are as loyal as they act, then they shouldn’t have a problem with how you need to run it.

January 20, 2013 at 2:57 am