1. Entertainment

Alphas Renewed for Season 2

By September 11, 2011

David Strathairn as Dr. Lee Rosen in (I)Alphas(/i).

David Strathairn as Dr. Lee Rosen in Alphas.

© Ken Woroner/Syfy

After a competitive showing against other cable series and strong DVR and on-demand numbers, Syfy has ordered another 13-episode round of Alphas for next summer.

Alphas has been garnering decent ratings for its Monday night broadcasts, teamed with Syfy's veteran hits Warehouse 13 and Eureka. So far this season, broadcast episodes have averaged 3.3 million total viewers (including all available Live plus 7-day DVR data). According to TV By the Numbers, Alphas had been averaging 1.789 million viewers in live plus same day through the end of August; Eureka was pulling in 2.130 million, and Warehouse 13 2.292 million.

But it's interesting to note that Syfy cites other kinds of numbers alongside conventional ratings in its decision to renew the series. Notably, Alphas has been averaging over 240,000 plays within 7 days per episode since its July launch. Alphas is also Syfy's most popular series in digital downloads, according to the network.

"Alphas' smart, innovative approach to a superhero franchise has clearly caught on with our audience," said Mark Stern, Syfy's president of original content. "From the first-rate writing to the outstanding cast lead by David Strathairn, we're very proud of what was achieved in its first season and look forward to seeing this series fulfill even more of its creative potential in a second season."
Tags: Alphas, Syfy
Follow me on Twitter  |  Follow me on Facebook

Comments

September 12, 2011 at 5:38 pm
(1) starrpoint says:

I rather like this show, and I did not expect to. It’s characters are more interesting than most “super heros” but still try to be moral in a world that has little morality.

Just wondering who the bad guys really are………

October 3, 2011 at 7:25 pm
(2) la-de-da says:

i love this show. i’m my mind its right up there with “bones” and “criminal minds”. i find it interesting that, despite the fact they all have super human abilities, they’re relationships and lives outside of work are still rather mundane. it give the show a realistic- yet super natural- approach. i’m still not liking hicks and nina together, though. hopefully season to will get me on bored. i hope that this show is around for at least 3 more seasons. i was worried that it was going to meet an end like “flashforward” did and end at a cliffhanger- never to return. nice job, syfy. keep it up, “alphas” is sure to be a hit! i wish summer would come faster!

October 4, 2011 at 7:28 pm
(3) andyb says:

way more interesting than heroes, hope there are more episodes in season 2

October 6, 2011 at 1:05 pm
(4) Kevin says:

Like all TV shows that endure high costs they will be short lived.
Over the next ten years the landscape of media domination will move away from the major free to air TV networks and in many cases cable TV studios to the Internet. That, based on the unprecedented growth of the Net is an indisputable fact.
Those studios who embrace the Internet at the main source of entertainment for most of the world will survive.
Those who stubbornly ignore it will become subjects for history students in a short time.
Internet technology is still in it’s infancy and will continue to provide the innovations far beyond what TV is capable of that will capture people’s imaginations and therefore their attention.
High speed, big multi-screens systems, portability and the vast choices will make TV and even the movie theaters as redundant as the telegraph.

October 17, 2011 at 6:50 pm
(5) Biggins says:

LOL @ Kevin,

Well justified arguement for nothing, either you like Alphas (like the post is suggesting) or you don’t.

Don’t bitch and moan about “the way of mandscape media”, save it for the film and television degree course you always wish you had done.

The internet will not overtake TV in any amount of years. People are creatures of habit and enjoy their routine. That is why popular shows still pull in multi million veiwers per episode, year in year out. Get over it.

In the meantime, Alphas is a great show, it is new and original in the sense it uses a known concept and shows it in a different light which is much more interesting and realistic (i.e. the powers have a downside and have interesting back stories) unlike a lot of shows that feel because enough time has elapsed a re-boot can now be made without anyone noticing/caring (Charlie’s Angels, Hawaii 5-0 & V).

I look forward to see how this show will continue to develop.

October 29, 2011 at 11:35 pm
(6) Aly says:

I love ALPHAS! Definitely one of my favs, alongside Criminal Minds. Can’t wait til next summer!

November 6, 2011 at 12:10 pm
(7) Muymoy says:

I never thought I’d see another tv series like “Alphas”. every episode is full of excitement and unexpected/unpredictable events…Alphas is better than X-Men or Marvel Heroes…Hmmmmmmm…come to think of it, will it make it to the movies. Just wanted to say…Syfy you just created a great tv series, I can’t wait what’s install for season 2. Can you air it earlier? Hehehe.

November 8, 2011 at 3:49 pm
(8) RAFAL says:

MORE ALPHAS PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 9, 2011 at 10:00 pm
(9) Saint says:

As much as I liked the first season, I still can’t help but feel like Alphas already burned itself out. The lack of superpower diversity, and having to walk the tightrope between X-Men and Sanctuary, really doesn’t convince me that it will go on very long. Maybe it’s just me, but I have a hard time envisioning new and exciting subject matters for the same formula; intelligent and caring leader directs his/her team of powerful but emotional warriors. Ninja Turtles. X-Men. Power Rangers. Avengers. Sanctuary. Et cetera.

November 13, 2011 at 8:36 pm
(10) Sara says:

I love ALPHAS it’s realistic and a completely new spin on ‘the supernatural’ and its sooo much better than heroes. Bring on more!

November 15, 2011 at 6:06 pm
(11) Makavoy says:

wow!!! ALPHAS ROCK!!! I haven’t watched any Syfy in way tooo long BUT this caught my eye and now I’m hooked. Gary’s and Hicks’ talents are siiik!!!
Gary’s character is fantastically played. I say Syfy … BRING IT !!

November 25, 2011 at 4:12 am
(12) ahmad says:

alphas is gr8

December 1, 2011 at 7:33 am
(13) Martine says:

I love this show, its very interesting, and I don’t think superficial likeness to any other films like X men or even Sanctuary matter at all. For one thing this is the only one that has believable and still like able characters. Can you imagine characters like Gary or Rachel in Sanctuary? No way. The writers for Sanctuary couldn’t think around anything that complicated.

December 13, 2011 at 6:02 pm
(14) Gipsy says:

this show can became really popular, i mean im a german gye and i like to watch this show, certainly in english. my fave character is gary. i love the way he use his hand and i think his statements are pretty awesome

December 27, 2011 at 8:33 am
(15) letsugas says:

Alphas is AWESOME!! Can’t wait for the next eps!!

December 28, 2011 at 6:57 am
(16) Sergionix says:

Do you guys know the exact date the Season 2 is expected to air…sorry if I overlooked it.

December 30, 2011 at 10:58 pm
(17) scifi says:

No, Syfy has not yet set its summer 2012 schedule. Chances are it will again be early July in the U.S.

January 1, 2012 at 7:01 am
(18) carl says:

I’m fast becoming a huge fan of this series , and i think the real key to it’s success is its ‘plausability’ its mutants, but not as we know it _ a batman begins for tv . And theres some great acting as well everyone seems to rave over garys character. My main concern is the. writers running out of ideas and ‘silly’ superpowers emerging to compensate for it . But good luck alphas may you run forever!!

January 3, 2012 at 3:44 pm
(19) Josh says:

Well, I could of expected there to be another season as it’s a bit of a cliff hanger from where season 1 finished, but I can’t wait for season 2 to come.

January 11, 2012 at 11:13 am
(20) Dean says:

I love it but it’ll end up going the same way as SGU unfortunately.

January 14, 2012 at 11:15 pm
(21) Sarah Prestemon says:

I have loved David Strathairn and Ryan Cartwright for years. I am so psyched that this show is getting more air time. I can’t wait for many more seasons to come. I just wish they would do the same for Eureka.

January 27, 2012 at 6:24 am
(22) Sam Haidari says:

I love this show because it makes it seems real. What I mean is that the show Heroes was great but looked a bit fake (I am not implying that I thought those were real powers). However with Alphas you see the reasons behind the powers. For example one of the characters had super human strength and in the show you can see that it is caused by an adrenaline rush and you can see his blood pumping when his “fight or flight” mode kicks in. I hope the producers come out with season 2, 4, or even 10. I hope they don’t cancel this show because it is “one of those shows” which you would rarely find. And love it. Thank you.

February 6, 2012 at 2:38 pm
(23) edward says:

” Let Gary Drive ” !!!

February 20, 2012 at 4:50 pm
(24) Bob says:

I see Alphas as the natural evolution of the superhero genre. In early DC Comics the superhero wore a costume and was without flaws. Next came Marvel with costumed superheros who had some problems. Now, with Alphas, we are seeing superheros, without costumes, with a variety of flaws and issues.

February 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm
(25) shawn says:

they should also include online viewings as well. i don’t have a TV i watch, so i try to catch my favorite shows on hulu and other sites if i can.

March 6, 2012 at 4:01 am
(26) sean says:

is everyone posting 13 years old? what the hell is wrong with the world?
anyway, moronic comments aside, let’s talk Alphas. The writing, casting and acting really steal the show. Need a new fight choreographer for next season, filming is a bit of sometimes. But writing is always main focus and the pace is quick, no plot points are overlong. The characters are complex, unique, not archetypes, but competent, regularly flawed humans. The idea of linking these unique brain conditions to character profiles, AK gary, showing how they would affect social evolution and lead to unique, ultimately lovably weird characters is sheer brilliance. Also all “powers” are explained by exaggerations of known mental conditions/phenomena. the art of getting the audience to suspend their disbelief regarding “superpowers” has also evolved.

March 11, 2012 at 4:45 pm
(27) Christina says:

I think this is a great show that takes you with them in each episode. I love the team work and the “who’s more cleaver than who” action that goes on when they have to use their powers. Fun, exciting and interesting how they hint at an all out war in the future. Also it makes you wonder who will stay loyal to team because of the way some cases were handled by whoever is higher up the chain of command.

March 16, 2012 at 6:36 pm
(28) Sean says:

This is an interesting show…Our family love it hope it will continued through many seasons.

March 20, 2012 at 2:19 am
(29) Burningwriter says:

I love it, its like xmen but with lesser powers.

March 20, 2012 at 5:05 am
(30) robert says:

I love this show, smart witty and the characters are adhesive to your tv schedule, keep it going please! Oh by the way, Gary is awesome!

March 26, 2012 at 11:27 am
(31) Brandon says:

Ok! I love the show also but when is season 2 going to start? Anybody know?

April 1, 2012 at 11:05 pm
(32) Earballz says:

I absaloutley love alpha’s and can not wait for season 2, it is defantly as good as heroes just hope it goes on for longer then heroes did. Well done sci fi keep it coming :)

April 2, 2012 at 2:46 pm
(33) Faizan says:

i love this show !!! w8ing for upcoming season

April 6, 2012 at 10:00 am
(34) ivy says:

love the show, just finished watching the last episode, to be honest, its gonna take a while till next summer. real crappy to have to wait that long. i showed it to my dad earlier on this weak. he immediately copied my harddrive from season one, dont know how things are in the us but here in the netherlands there are already 2 people very much liking this! hope to see at least 13 episodes in season two, and much more actually!

April 9, 2012 at 5:58 am
(35) SoCo says:

I love this show just like I love the TV show HEROES, and the cast just gave up on it. I also like 4400 and MISFITS which are all somewhat similar to ALPHAS. I just hope that this show make at least 6 seasons if not more. A TV show with superhuman abilities can last forever because there are always bad guys out there and more powers could be used like Teleportation and Telekinesis.

April 15, 2012 at 9:27 pm
(36) Gnall1 says:

I really enjoy this show and love that the powers are really just control of there bodys in diffrent ways and not stoping bullets

April 28, 2012 at 3:05 pm
(37) Stephen says:

Really Good Show! Glad about the renewal. Hoping to see some new characters on there team with new abilities. That would be ace.

Wondering if the shrink is part of red flag too. I think he has a alpha ability but obviously it’s smart to make people think you don’t that way they don’t see you as a threat. ;-) Plus alphas get there abilities off one of there parents… or this would seem to be the case… so this also increase the chance that he has a ability. :P

May 4, 2012 at 1:22 pm
(38) barbara says:

I don’t like violent shows but I tuned into this because of Malik Yoba. After watching one episode I fell in love with Gary and I’ve been hooked ever since.
I enjoy the whole cast but Gary is my favorite and I can’t wait until they resume airing new episodes.

May 24, 2012 at 1:55 am
(39) Gonzo says:

I must agree with comment number 1 from starrpoint. I did not expect to like a series with this topic. But I must admit I’ve grown fond of it.

I really don’t mind about those series with plain fantasy where you see super-normal activities. Don’t care about men flying or climbing fighting “plain evil”. They trend to be shallow, featuring one-dimension character personalities. NOT this one folks.

I believe it addresses one of most important dangers that humanity has been facing for ages now. And it wasn’t until “Just wondering who the bad guys are” that it came to me. I must say, we’re up against a brilliant piece of art.

Now, the biggest threat that accompanies us these days, specially when we’re developing our knowledge and technology in an exponential rate, is the lack of understanding of our fellow humans. They stand out the problem without getting into it. We are often too much focused in our own differences while fighting each other. There are no good or bad sides. There are people moving the strings beyond those sides, who often want the same, to keep fighting, struggling for power. In the meantime, we, the common lads, keep busy marking our differences and building the wall around them.

What is different makes us afraid. Our fear builds walls, not just with bricks or stones, ideological too. Walls made of every different kind of religion or lack of it, our likes or dislikes sexually, our looks, the color of our skin, political ideas, economic status, social status, even the most random “ism” of all; nationalism. We, common people, fight with each other just because we were born in different geographic regions. What ? How much ridiculous can it get ?

May 24, 2012 at 2:11 am
(40) Gonzo says:

I mean, it’s pretty obvious that Dr. Rosen (David Strathairn) is the “common man”.

His struggles are the ones we ought to have. His questioning are the questions we should ask ourselves. And the belief of being important, the confidence of doing what feels right, even in a structured world, even for a “common man” is of vital importance.

It does not matter which character has more charisma, Dr. Rosen is, at the very heart, you & me, the common man.

May 30, 2012 at 7:38 am
(41) Andreas says:

Great job peeps.
Alphas is much anticipated in my community. more episodes please! otherwise you may find yourselves receving tons and tons of nuts ;)

June 4, 2012 at 11:44 pm
(42) uncle says:

Gary is a p.i.a..
He needs to be locked i a room whenever there is a mission, can’t trust him.
He doesn’t give a crap about the team, just his own assberger-y 12 year old wants & desires.

Everything else was great.

June 22, 2012 at 1:09 am
(43) RichardG says:

Good comments Gonzo – “Now, the biggest threat that accompanies us these days, specially when we’re developing our knowledge and technology in an exponential rate, is the lack of understanding of our fellow humans. They stand out the problem without getting into it. We are often too much focused in our own differences while fighting each other. ”

The really important aspect of this series is its dealing with the super human while portraying each of the characters with flaws and human emotional stuff that makes them as ordinary as any of us. You have this amazing ability BUT you’re subject to all your normal human likes and dislikes. I like the ideas here. They are not perfect Mutants or XMen.

The other issue that it raises is the presence of people in the human race, once again, who have a broader vision of what we are about and where we are heading as a race. And also it brings up the specially powered/ skilled children (sometimes called ‘Indigos’) who have special abilities at a very young age. It comes up in one episode where Rosen refers to the second stage Alpha.

Gary of course is a great role. He does steal the show. May it continue…

August 1, 2012 at 10:14 pm
(44) Cynthia Fisher says:

I love this series and hope it’s on for many more series to come.

August 11, 2012 at 1:16 am
(45) Mike Jones says:

WOW Alphas did right where Heroes messed up at. Sorry but true

August 26, 2012 at 2:29 am
(46) Melody Ramos says:

This is a great show…please more alpha!!!

August 26, 2012 at 2:31 am
(47) Melody Ramos says:

This is a great show…please more alpha.

October 17, 2012 at 1:11 am
(48) Gleda says:

I LOVE this show. Glad to hear Season 2 is coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My favorite Character is Gary :)

October 25, 2012 at 9:15 pm
(49) Lazarus Long says:

I would really like to know how they are going to pull this off since everybody on the team but Gary was killed in the season ender.