1. Entertainment

Eureka Canceled; Season 6 Scrapped!

By August 15, 2011

Colin Ferguson as Sheriff Jack Carter in (I)Eureka(/i).

Colin Ferguson as Sheriff Jack Carter in Eureka.

© Syfy

Last week, fans erupted in surprise and dismay that Syfy had only ordered six episodes for season 6 of Eureka--an announcement which, while stopping short of announcing cancellation after that meager coda, presumably to air in 2013, left little doubt that those episodes would be the show's abruptly orchestrated swan song.

But only days after Mark Stern, Syfy's president for original programming, affirmed that "we do not have a commitment beyond six episodes for the sixth season," word came down that that there was no commitment for the six episodes either--that, in fact, the show would come to a sudden halt with the end of season 5, which wraps production within the next two weeks and which is set to air next summer.

Meanwhile, with his other hand, Stern was in the same week jubilantly renewing Warehouse 13, the network's all-time most successful show but the inferior of Eureka when it comes to depth of characterization and long-term plot ingenuity.

With the scripts already written for season 5 and production of the final episodes at an advanced stage, the order to kill season 6 meant that the show would essentially just stop: there could be no real opportunity for Eureka's creators to convert the season 5 finale into a suitable series finale. The day after announcing this effective truncation of the series, Syfy relented slightly: reports surfaced that they had agreed to order one further episode that will function as a series finale, to air as an appendix to season 5, directly after it or as a special in the fall.

The multi-car pile-up caused by the conflicting decisions wasn't just painful for the fans: Deadline Hollywood says that some crew members turned down other job offers when the order for season 6 came down, and that Syfy execs called the cast to apologize for the way their futures had been batted around by the network suits.

Why has Syfy suddenly got a hate-on for Eureka? Apparently the issue is not so much ratings (Season 4.5 premiered last month to 2 million total viewers, 893,000 of them in the adults 18-49 category--middling, or at least not catastrophic, ratings for a basic cable series) as expense.

From a balance sheet point of view, Eureka has a significantly larger regular cast than other Syfy series, and their salaries have growth over five seasons; that plus the regular effects budget has made the program progressively more unattractive to the network. And this has developed at the worst possible time--Syfy has needed to look as profitable as possible as Comcast-NBC deals with the costs incurred by the companies' merger, which the FCC finally approved earlier this year.

The upshot, Deadline's Nellie Andreeva says, is that Syfy's original, half-hearted (and half-season) order for season 6 was countermanded by the new post-merger management.

The statement issued by Syfy was as follows: "After painstaking consideration, we have had to make the difficult business decision to not order a season six of Eureka. But Eureka is not over yet. There is a new holiday episode this December and 12 stellar episodes set to debut next year, marking its fifth season and six memorable years on Syfy. The 2012 episodes are some of the best we've seen, and will bring this great series to a satisfying end. We are very grateful to Bruce Miller and Jaime Paglia, their team of incredible writers, and an amazing cast and crew who have consistently delivered a series we continue to be very proud of. We thank the fans for their support of this show and know they will enjoy its final season in 2012."

At least we're getting one more season, and a series finale. That's more than Syfy's bean-counters allowed their last lamb to the slaughter, Stargate Universe.
Tags: Eureka, Syfy
Follow me on Twitter  |  Follow me on Facebook

Comments

August 15, 2011 at 12:47 pm
(1) starrpoint says:

You think they did this on purpose? It seems to me, that those now runing syfy really hate scifi!

Putting it early on Mondays is a good way to kill a show that is mainly intellgent and more adults.

August 15, 2011 at 1:08 pm
(2) JessMarie says:

I adored Eureka when it first came out. Absolutely loved it! But the last few seasons the writing has been awful as the writers continually try to dig themselves out of the holes they wrote earlier.

But I agree with starrpoint completely – SyFy seems to do all it can to kill real shows and just dives headfirst into more and more absurd B Movie monster flicks.

August 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm
(3) Garlon says:

Seems like *SYFY” wants to get rid of it’s scripted shows for the so-called reality programs. But this isn;t this first time, that they have done it! Back when they were new, series didn’t last! Figured with new ownership, They would do better. But guess not!

August 15, 2011 at 7:21 pm
(4) Kathy says:

I miss Stargate Universe. Now they’re cutting Eureka. Syfy can go take a flying leap….I barely watch the channel as it is. I won’t be watching anymore once Eureka is gone.

August 15, 2011 at 7:41 pm
(5) ES Bruce says:

I watched Stargate SG-1 faithfully. I watch Eureka and Warehouse-13. That’s it, other than that SyFy is a terrible network. Everything else I catch on Netflix (although they are about to go on my chopping block as well if they don’t start making more recent shows and movies available.) Negotiate harder Netflix, but I digress.

I made the move recently to shut off cable and haven’t missed it since. There is nothing but crap on all the channels including the learning channels showing repeat shows over and over and over again.

August 15, 2011 at 7:41 pm
(6) JohnMc says:

The show was one of the best written shows in a while that will now sadly follow and be ranked with Star Trek (original series), Stargate, MST3K as being a cut above and well worth my time.

At least the BBC had learned its lesson and brought back Dr. Who. Slight chance of anything like that on this side of the Atlantic.

August 15, 2011 at 8:05 pm
(7) Thomas Evans says:

I agree with the first commentor. After the SciFi channel changed its name to SyFy, it has seemed to be distancing itself from Science Fiction. The slow kill of all of its series, some of the few we watch on TV, has proven this.

Mind you, I never did like Craprica, and could see issues with how SG Universe was developed (though I actually liked the show), but Eureka? Instead we get Haven (yawn), Warehouse 13 (never really appealled), etc.

Alphas has shown some promise, but could also e turned into yet another super hero story… and Being Human has proved interesting, but no doubt that means it is doomed.

Ah… where can one turn for Space Opera?

August 16, 2011 at 12:03 am
(8) Christopher says:

The Syfy Top Brass has consistently shown that they are not lovers of Science Fiction, as evidenced by the cancellation of Stargate Universe and Eureka….and the shows they continually feed us, CRAP like Ghost Hunters, Legend Quest, and all their other pathetic reality series……and the pathetic
and horribly corney movies they shove down our throats on the WeeK-Ends !!! When is all going to end, and they realize
that we want to see SCIENCE FICTION, and not all the other crap they’re feeding us !!! Please tell me what Professional
Wrestling has to do with Science Fiction !? It is hard to believe that Syfy is cancelling Eureka and keeping an inferior show like Warehouse 13…….PATHETIC !!!

August 16, 2011 at 11:02 am
(9) Bart Mann says:

Well now not only is SyFy continuing to destroy its Sci-Fi cred, but it is treating the producers, writers, casts and crews with disrespect. I wonder if I were in the business if I would sign on any show produced by a company like SyFy at this point. But all that besides the point. We all know and agree that the reality and wrestling drivel that they are pushing at us means a general disrespect for their audience. Well I would be amongst those that are abandoning the station except I need my sci-fi and there is a little left on it. Warehouse 13 I’ve warmed up to as well as Haven (not so much Alphas). But to tell you the truth, I’d still watch bad Sci-Fi over pretty much anything else. So I am trapped tuning into SyFy (even the name of the channel sucks). Hell I even will watch one of the cheesy weekend movies once and a while. Besides that now I only have Dr. Who and The Walking Dead to look forward to. Both on channels that seem to understand what genre shows are all about. (I know, The Walking Dead is horror not Sci-Fi, but I mention it just because it is superbly made). I wish there was something we as an audience could do, but alas when money is involved, we are powerless against it.

August 16, 2011 at 7:30 pm
(10) Clayton Hastings says:

What is wrong with these guys!!! PLEASE make it stop!!! why do they constantly cancel good to decent shows and keep all the crap they have on now? it’s the Sci-fi channel !!! Remember when
Mtv had music. If you’re not going to be a science fiction channel
change your name to-”just another sucky channel”

August 16, 2011 at 8:07 pm
(11) Jason Bowden says:

The suits in charge of Syfy are disconnected with reality, and don’t care about their loyal fans, writers, directors and crew. All they care about is profit and pleasing their sponsors. I say its about time some one founded a new fan based Sci Fiction channel and put Syfy out of business.

August 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm
(12) Linda Shadle says:

Hey they did the same thing to Stargate: Atlantis and didn’t even give us THAT much! It was just, “We’re cancelling it. Too bad! Oh and, the movie we promised you? We lied about that too!”

What dio you expect from a network that doesn’t know the MEANING of science fiction let alone how to manage really great programming! Syfy ‘Imagine greater?’ Don’t make me laugh! The idiots that laughing run the ‘new and improved’ Syfy Channel don;’t know the meaning of the ohrase they keep bandying about! The only things left will be ‘Warehouse 13′ which I DO really like but not as much as I LOVED ‘Eureka’ and ‘Sanctuary’. This seems to be the beginning of the end for any REAL sci-fi. All THEY care about is (gasp!) WRESTLNG and their so-called ‘reality’ crap the wannabes and whatever else they have on!

Once ‘Sanctuary’ and ‘Warehouse 13′ are gone…..guess what…..so am I!

August 18, 2011 at 3:38 pm
(13) StarHawk says:

The only thing that has a possiblity of making the money hungry fools running the “SyFy” channel change their minds is to stop watching. If no one is watching the reality shows and wrestling (I still can’t get over that one) they will have to reconsider putting on shows that people want to see.

Some very brilliant person has created a page on FB to Save Eureka. Lets use this page and any others that we can create to tell SyFy they suck and need to go back to SciFi. Which is what we as subcribers to our cable companies are paying for.

August 26, 2011 at 8:32 pm
(14) Charliejo says:

With so few good science fiction shows on TV it is shocking to find a good one like Eureka being cancelled. Science Fiction is the same as Westerns used to be: the unknown territory, lions, tigers, and stuff. The Syfy channel has really screwed up and I will only watch on a limited basis. Thinking of removing cable as SyFy was the only reason I went with it.

September 7, 2011 at 2:45 am
(15) Aaron says:

You know what? SciFi channel can just go to Hell. They won’t leave a good series on for any length of time anymore. Time for a new channel, one with responsibility and commitment to it’s viewers!

September 11, 2011 at 9:22 pm
(16) gypsydan says:

I am sorry to see Eureka go I have actually used it in my middle school class room to stir up creativity in kids. I know a scifi show called Comrade about a federal leader in the US who owns mainstream media etc. and is a reality star and a wrestler. The show will be about simpering lefty network that fawns over a federal leader. Oops sorry it is a reality show in the senate right now.

October 2, 2011 at 9:18 pm
(17) Canadidan says:

Well, back to never watching SYFY I guess. Eureka was all it had going for it, to me. Going to miss the hell out of this series :(

October 4, 2011 at 5:26 pm
(18) Anon says:

wont watch syfy ever again. Long live Torrents

October 13, 2011 at 12:48 am
(19) Me says:

Wouldn’t it be cool if there was an all fantasy channel that just played good ol’ classics like Willow, Dragon Heart, Dark Crystal, Krull, Ladyhawk Labyrinth etc.

November 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm
(20) wingernew3 says:

Since when did 12 episodes become a season?

December 11, 2011 at 8:51 am
(21) Lucas Sweat says:

that stunk im 14 and i love eureka

January 10, 2012 at 1:09 am
(22) Autumn says:

how can they just leave it cut off at the Titan Mission, i mean it was so intense when allison went on the mission then nothing now? that wasnt a great way to end the season when no one will know whats going to happen i mean the next season was suppose to be best and continues so much cliff-hangers from season 5. i just love eureka and hate to see it go :/

February 7, 2012 at 9:57 pm
(23) sorely dissapointed says:

My husband and I used to watch Sci Fi a lot until you started to move programs around. We finally found Eurika and Warehouse 13 and that was all we watched, you only show Pirates movies all weekend long or the same old thing every single weekend or wrestling or other crap. After Eurika and Warehouse 13 are gone, so are we.

February 12, 2012 at 8:08 am
(24) William Hopper says:

This is not the death of Eureka or SG Universe. These series will be picked up elsewhere sooner or later. What we are seeing is the death of the SyFy station. Corporate wisdom is killing it.

February 17, 2012 at 3:39 pm
(25) Carlie says:

I really love this show and am really sad they are ending this series. It seems like every show I like is ending.i do wish that the would reconsiter their desision and keep it going.

February 27, 2012 at 5:03 pm
(26) Mercedes says:

No!!!! They are stupid! Please reconsider!

April 9, 2012 at 10:40 pm
(27) thatguy says:

I go through all these comments and helllllo..? Sanctuary, comeon!

April 12, 2012 at 10:19 am
(28) NIck says:

This is crap!!! Every show I ever start to like on syfy gets canceled! I am really not sure if they even have a show that will keep me around. What happened to Universe or how was Atlantis not working? What is the deal with these “teenage super hero” shows? I want to see epic space battles or some cool futuristic town – Eureka.

I think there are no good reasons to cancel eureka, or several other good shows that were just getting good. Now, us adults, don’t have any good syfy shows – on syfy at least! Moving to TNT – Falling Skies is really cool!

I’d say Wharehouse 13 or Sanctuary are not enough to keep my viewership – looking for better syfy networks.

April 12, 2012 at 10:24 am
(29) Nick Padilla says:

Since my first post didn’t get through – i second Linda’s and Bart’s comments. I’d even add Stargate Universe as one that they killed for no good reason – we now have no space shows on syfy!!!!

I don’t think Sanctuary or Wharehouse 13 are enough for my continued viewership. Going to TNT for Falling Skies – syfy outdone by TNT on its own turf!!! Downright stupid.

May 1, 2012 at 4:04 pm
(30) Aaron Payne says:

Eureka is one of my favorite shows, and along with Warehouse 13, Alphas and Smackdown, are the only shows I watch on Syfy. I do want to watch Haven, but I haven’t had a chance to yet. I do like Stargate, but I only recently got into them because they were on Netflix, and I haven’t even finished watching SG1 yet, but I will eventually.

May 5, 2012 at 2:29 am
(31) wntsmallgov says:

It is sad that what we use as escapes from reality are being replaced with reality shows. I guess I have to go back reading to get my escape.

Good Luck to the Cast and Crew they made it worth watching.

May 12, 2012 at 4:14 am
(32) leffew man says:

eureka will be missed gratly it may be the singol best show on syfy and i cant belev thay are cuting it mabey syfy will cume up with som other grat show that capters our imaginashons and lets us direem ya right

June 6, 2012 at 4:16 am
(33) MrDave007 says:

Vacuum Cleaners SUCK and it has LARGE VACUUM that SyFy has canceled Eureka. IT JUST IS NOT RIGHT.

From 1 lost SyFy viewer due to this cancellation.

June 8, 2012 at 8:39 pm
(34) Bob says:

Having a channel named SyFy and then having so many commercials that none of the shows are enjoyable and when that fails, trying to introduce ‘wrestling’ and other low budget programming to increase profits, without ever considering the market they are targeting, seems to me like gross incompetence at a ‘C’ level. Which I have seen time and time again ……. if I am not entertained, I go do something else…..

June 29, 2012 at 3:31 pm
(35) LK Henry says:

Real science fiction lovers know that it is either SF or Science Fiction. Never scifi or worst yet, syfy.
Eureka is for real science fiction. To lose it because it doesn’t fit on the bottom line is what is wrong with television and maybe the world as we know it.
Nothing is special. All common denominators are $$$. Too sad. Goodbye culture.

July 12, 2012 at 4:53 am
(36) Lynette Bond says:

Bring Eureka back!

July 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm
(37) Jan says:

Thanks for horrifying me now how am i supose to sleep?
Why must there always be a profit motive with network companies? cant u guys just make a series for the pure enjoyment to watch? that cast has already made the eureka series part of their life u are tearing a part of them away and from us viewers. I demand that this series never stops!!!

July 12, 2012 at 5:43 pm
(38) Michael says:

The problem with keeping a Science Fiction show running is it tends to be a bit more involved for the people who make it because the people who watch it are smarter and keep track of the storyline and they want the props and such to look real.

It does not take a lot to impress people who watch reality TV

There are many shows that were great shows they got rid of such as Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate and Sanctuary just to name a few.

Now you have to give it to them on the Stargate franchise where Showtime was going to let it die and the SciFi channel saved it giving it a total of 11 seasons on SG-1

It is just not ScyFy that does it, I thought The Event and Flashforward were good shows along with yes I will say it Heroes.

Historically SciFi shows just don’t live very long.

July 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm
(39) Sean says:

If they want more money in their budget cancel the reality shows and the wrestling. This’ Syfy we’re talking about. I mean I know this country has a fascination with older men groping and laying on each other and we have reality shows for those who do not realize that it isn’t reality, its all scripted.
I come to Syfy for their original shows such as Eureka and Warehouse 13 but now I feel like the station is trying to broadside me with as far from science fiction as possible. Forget trying to identify with characters and enjoying plot structure and seeing how events play out in stories anymore because I feel like its becoming a dying art.

July 16, 2012 at 12:49 pm
(40) Skippydo1 says:

Always money issues or a merger that ends these shows. I myself like original series. Farscape one of SyFy’s best Original shows and now Eureka again a very original is now going away. Every time they hit a winner they seem to fall short and Cancel it. When they Canceled Farscape they were merging with another company and they we as viewers are the ones that loose. Now with NBC merging again we see another good show being thrown away. When does it stop… Someday maybe they will get it. Alfa’s come on, it sucked from the first episode. WHSE 13 isn’t bad but, where can it go. The writers do a good job but, how far can this show go. I hope they can find a good series in the future. Make it original not a makeover! We’ll miss you Eureka…

July 16, 2012 at 10:18 pm
(41) Bill says:

They take off Eureka, they take off Stargate SG1, all the Star Treks, Sliders, Rosewell, and replace it with things like WWE Smackdown wheres the science fiction in that. Just because I may speak of old shows that show the science fiction what is the future going to bring us next in Sy fy (SiFi). Soap opera’s Days of our lives sorta speak shows. There is to much horror shows and its not even halloween yet. We can say good bye to syfy…….

July 16, 2012 at 11:09 pm
(42) carrolla says:

As it has been stated “Syfy” has managed to dump all of the true science fiction programs. I’m waiting for their next name change, either “Horri-fy” or
“Real-fy” They show maybe 2 SF for every 5 or more horror or advertisements. I would even watch fantasy if they had any. I’m afraid there is little left for me to watch. My name for the channel is “Good-by.”

July 17, 2012 at 5:25 am
(43) Timmy says:

It’s such a shame that it’s being cancelled, but what I don’t understand is, if they can’t keep such a great show on air and know how disappointed everyone is that it is ending and how many viewers they are losing, then why not make a spinoff or prequel series in which the main cast (this will also cut down on how many people they have to pay, which is their main problem with the show) are taken onto the team that Holly was offered to put together for her possible new job at DARPA, which was mentioned in the latest episode. At least this would (somewhat) continue the idea of the show? It would be better than completely ending the series and would provide them for a good way to end the series along with letting at least some of the actors from Eureka keep their jobs. Then again even if I could get this idea to the suits of SyFy, I doubt they would take it into consideration. It truly would be better than any other ending that they will come up with and show in a single episode. Anyone have any idea how I could possibly get this idea to the Suits of the SyFy network?

July 17, 2012 at 5:26 am
(44) Timmy says:

Sequel series not prequel*

July 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm
(45) liz says:

My husband and myself love Eureka…. I can’t believe that they cancel the show. It’s the only show that I like on SyFy. What is going on with cancel good shows? I wanted to see Jo and Zane get married. I love the storyline for Carter, Allison and the rest of the crew. I love the science. It was very interesting and a pleasure to watch. I’m tired of seeing all these vampire and werewolf movies. Now, that Eureka has ended no longer watching syfy. I say they need to bring it back.

July 23, 2012 at 12:36 pm
(46) VANKOY says:

I believe the problem with the genera is the audience. How are they to find proper viewer numbers, when the viewers of true SciFi (Syfy is not the same) typically are the ones who download, watch online, and edit out commercials. Popular shows have more viewers then they think, but they are unable to market to them to create revenue. Though I will admit I am guilty of this as well, and have no solution for this problem other than blatant product placement.

August 1, 2012 at 5:51 pm
(47) Andrew says:

All they are interested in are idiotic Ghost Hunter series. I could run around in old houses for an hour with a video cam and night vision with some cute girls and say “Did you hear that?”, “Is someone there?”. What a pile of garbage. Why doesn’t SyFy have a classic scifi movie or series night. Show some Outer Limits, or true classic and cult scifi movies. When is the last time they ran something like “Dark Star, or “THX-1138″, or “Zardoz”. Or “Star Wars” for that matter. And where do they get the “movies” that they do show? They are so awful!

August 6, 2012 at 7:06 pm
(48) A. Campbell says:

The cancelling of Eureka sucks. It was a great show and was butchered as a result of the Comcast Merger. I will be dropping my Comcast Business.

August 9, 2012 at 8:02 pm
(49) Jamin says:

This was a truly good series Eureka taught people as well as entertaining them I’m really would like to keep this series going but when you get greedy people running companies good things go down the drain just like SGU SGA you lost another viewer

August 11, 2012 at 9:11 pm
(50) lockon says:

tbh in all right i dont think there is a fair reason why eureka should have been cancelled.. it was maintaining viewers not losing, it was a mint series always got a smile or a giggle. yes it appealed more to intelligent people and i think thats says something about the suits that control scifi…
coz it clearly didnt appeal to them

August 15, 2012 at 12:16 am
(51) Jason says:

Why don’t the creators just find another network to sell the show to? Or just continue to make them and sell the shows individually? I would buy…

August 15, 2012 at 9:34 pm
(52) dave says:

i say sack them all the suits, they bring out awsome shows and then just give up on them they need to fire the people who say stop shooting these show and left us public have a say if the shows should end or not. i really like Eureka and was sad to hear that they stoped filming it booo to the suits

August 19, 2012 at 5:56 am
(53) Simon (uk) says:

Can’t understand why so many good (and often original) sci fi programs get canned. Yes… we know profit is a factor, and story-lines sometimes fade, but I can’t help thinking the popularity and profit of a series is not measured accurately..
Remember the guys with the pants are bean counters… and you know what they did to the banks!

August 23, 2012 at 9:08 pm
(54) Taylor says:

Losing Chuck And Eureka in the same Year atleast i still got Warehouse 13

August 29, 2012 at 8:44 pm
(55) ty says:

oh god another great show being distroyed, they never learn

September 7, 2012 at 12:13 am
(56) Rob says:

I know- I am sick to death of the canning of shows. Just when you really get hooked- especially Stargate Universe!!!!!

September 9, 2012 at 9:46 am
(57) rhonda says:

I hope you bring this show back! Really the cast is perfect and they story is great , It is something interesting and something I can watch along with my kids without worry of to much nudity,cussing so on. Stop killing good shows. Not everyone can tune in and catch episodes on air date , lot have to online or netflix , so please bring it back..

September 10, 2012 at 12:48 am
(58) jordan says:

Please I will do anything to get this show back on the air let me know what I can do. My E-mail is jordanbarnad@att.net. I have never enjoyed a show like I have Eureka.

September 18, 2012 at 9:25 am
(59) ShadWrath says:

. . . Add my tears to the ocean SyFy is as dead to me as their good shows are to them.

September 30, 2012 at 4:25 am
(60) oXGreedXo says:

SyFy is gonna completily die… thousands of fans are Deserting them for this, and are expressing it… not to mention all the other fans that are not expressing it.. screw you syfy

October 6, 2012 at 7:51 pm
(61) Jessica says:

I just got into Eureka thanks to Netflix and I’m totally addicted. I have watched nothing but this in the past 2 weeks and I’m sad that it’s over. Total bummer.

October 9, 2012 at 8:00 pm
(62) jolene u says:

I am very shocked about this. I loved this show and to kill it after 5 seasons what a joke, i am surprosed that one of the other networks did not pick it up.

October 14, 2012 at 5:24 pm
(63) Melissa Rodriguez says:

I’m super pissed….can’t believe it. Just like My Name is Earl or Firefly, great shows coming to an abrupt end too soon meanwhile, pointless shows like American Idol go onto their ga-jilli-nth, been on for WAY too long, season. Booo you sorry network execs!

November 4, 2012 at 12:54 am
(64) charlie s says:

I absolutely appalled and disturbed by the decision to end Eureka early. Actually I think it’s absurd to end the show at all, if they had put it in a better time slot and been a little more creative in the latter seasons with the writing, even though the episodes were really good maybe they would have had more then ample ratings to support the increase costs. And I’ve seen syify do much more with much less so I don’t even think that’s an excuse,I watched it all the way through season four on Netflix I have become hopelessly addicted to the characters in the show..q
When searching the web to find out when season 4.5 and season 5 would be on Netflix, my heart literally dropped and it was like someone had stolen Christmas from Me when I found out they were canceling the show.I think the lease syfy could do is put together a Eureka movie and show in theaters and use partial revenue to make a complete season 6 that lead up to a grand finale and not some half hearted remake or tail end add on episode of season 5….and lastly I say shame on you SyiFi channel for caring more about profit then you’re dedicated avid TV audience who would more then likely vote not to cancel Eureka or at least give it a proper 6th season with a good finale..I mean for god sakes if you want to cut costs turn this show into an animated series I’m sure of the writing is good as the Regular Show tons of people watch it and you probably have the same fan base what to do what you’re doing and what you’ve done all these great shows is tragedy….

November 13, 2012 at 7:52 pm
(65) E.D. says:

Horrible decision! This was the best show on SCIFI, hands down.

December 10, 2012 at 7:48 am
(66) Dave says:

what a stupid ass decision…… Eureka was great. guess I will find another channel to watch

December 22, 2012 at 3:38 am
(67) John says:

American TV network bosses are the worst thing that the entertainment industry has. Their decisions make absolutely no sense. Look at how “V” was scrapped. Fans are still screaming for a satisfactory finale, but to no avail. Star Trek Universe is another example. And to leave a good story hanging in the air like they often do, stinks. Some shows are aired at stupid times and then they can it (after dumb scheduling decisions). And the sad thing is that they are being paid insane amounts of money to make such poor decisions.

December 30, 2012 at 2:56 am
(68) emo says:

Obviously Syfy has real talent in selecting some great shows, its just too bad some fools in their bureaucracy continuously destroyed so many good scifi franchise potentials, while at the same time churning out flicks that deviates from their original vision of creating good scifi shows.
Guess in time we’ll just have to see who goes first, these fools or a larger chunk of their viewers which translates to their revenues.

December 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm
(69) Sherbee says:

Maybe we can start a petition…it worked for Futurama.

I didn’t know Eureka existed until Thanksgiving when my sister told me about it…fastforeward and I have now watched seasons 1-4 on Netflix and purchased the last season on Amazon. I am a true fan!

Another alternative might be to send emails to executives at TNT who has had tremendous success with Falling Skies!

Come on people…..we can’t give up!!!!!

January 1, 2013 at 2:59 am
(70) JOHN W says:

Eureka was powerful!!!!!! Come on mr Ferguson and fellow cast members, pick it up yourselves! We love you all. Screw the network, figure out a way to bring the story to us some other way. We are not stupid we will figure it out no matter what you call it, or what network you are on!!!!!!!! I know you want to keep making it. Thank you in advance!
John W. PA

January 1, 2013 at 11:48 pm
(71) austin craft says:

That’s f*%$*ng bull crap I’ve been a long standing fan of eureka since the first episode aired you didn’t see the creators of Buffy,angel,or smallville cut and run they held in and closed great also leaving an opening for continuation so nut up or shut up back to you f@#$%s!!!!!!!!

February 3, 2013 at 3:50 pm
(72) Joe says:

I was sick for a week and bored out of my gord. I found Eureka on Netflix, I was instantly addicted. What a great show! I’m with all of the other commenters on this thread. What a terrible decision on Syfy’s part. But look at all the reality crap on tv. Its no wonder why they wouldn’t go the way of MTV. A music channel that doesn’t show videos. Great job guys!! Keep up the good work, this is why people stream because cable/dish sucks!

February 6, 2013 at 7:33 am
(73) ryan says:

bring back eureka and do more crossover episodes with warehouse 13 to up the ratings

March 5, 2013 at 7:19 pm
(74) ansioch says:

Eureka was quite a good show compared with the usual mediocre crap out there,it is a pity to cancel it,but then,most of the androids in charge of the financial side are more interested in their own pay and bonuses than providing what the general public,who by the way actually pay their salaries,than going to the trouble of actually WORKING.Series like Warehouse 13 get the OK,strange,a show that takes the IQ of pond life to follow is given the red light,or maybe not as you don’t have to pay Kindergarten kids the same as qualified talented scriptwriters.

April 2, 2013 at 6:17 pm
(75) Nonagenarian says:

Why are all good shows discontinued…..

April 4, 2013 at 8:26 pm
(76) SyFy check yourselves says:

I don’t think so. I definitely rather have Eureka than Ware house 13. It has gone through so much, and it just ending. NOOOOO
I love Warehouse 13 and all but , Ending after the DOD shuts Eureka off. I need at least one happy ending.

April 4, 2013 at 8:28 pm
(77) jfishaFJSnf says:

I don’t have cable. Eureka is what I wait for. I also watch Warehouse 13 and other stuff but MAINLY EUREKA. I need a season 6

April 10, 2013 at 2:52 am
(78) Beverly says:

Here’s my thought about SciFi. If they keep reverting to reality shows then how are our real Scientist going to invent things. I mean if it wasnt for Gene Roddenberry we wouldnt have the technology we have now. Alot of science fiction is now reality. Dr Coombs on Stargate SG-1 said it best “How can you call yourself a Scientist and not worship at the alter of Roddenberry”. Im just saying…

April 11, 2013 at 6:35 pm
(79) Netflix Watcher says:

It’s too bad Eureka was canceled. I watched all 5 seasons on Netflix and really enjoyed the wacky situations and characters. I will really miss Eureka.

April 12, 2013 at 7:08 pm
(80) XMM says:

I also think that those who runs SyFy hate sci-fi… no more stargate.. no more eureka.. no more things that make you think about a possible future.. just rubbish…

April 12, 2013 at 11:45 pm
(81) Donna says:

Way to go SyFy
That was a perfectly good show out of all the other junk they fill the air with. Now they have to deal with many angry fans. That is the last time I watch SyFy

April 13, 2013 at 12:24 am
(82) Donna says:

The creators of SyFy should suck it. It is like my teacher who does things that make everyone mad for no good reason. I am sending a message to every person I know, every follower on instagram, every friend I have to end SyFy’s stupidness in ending really awesome shows and shoving crap down our throats, and I advise everyone else to do the same. They should start another channel that shows of star trek, battlestar galactica and eureka. At least bbc learned it’s lesson about doctor who and that if they cancel that then I predict that everyone will boycott bbc as they should do to SyFy

April 21, 2013 at 5:37 pm
(83) emer arbuckle says:

they stupid to judge a show by who watches it on tv not joking most sifi fans i know watch on hulu , netflix and not when it airs on tv i should give up on sifi shows and watch bbc shows

April 29, 2013 at 10:00 pm
(84) Frank says:

This is the last time I get sucked into a show that gets canceled by SYFI. Eureka was great another show that was great was Caprica if you haven’t seen it hart netflix and watch it from start to finish and you will hate syfi

May 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm
(85) Craig says:

Like with Arrested Development, Netflix should buy the rights and keep Eureka going as a Netflix original series

May 6, 2013 at 10:33 pm
(86) Zuxetra says:

What it seems to be is that the sci=fi writers are coming too close to science reality than science fiction. Most of the things they do is based on many concepts of theoretical Physics, chemistry and biology, as well as advances in astronomy and astrology. This may be an attempt to safe guard intelligence on things that actually exist. Wouldn’t it be a shame if US enemies come up with technology based on an idea from a network tv series????

May 7, 2013 at 12:25 am
(87) beau mikal says:

THE ONLY 2 shows i watched on syfy is warehose 13 and eureka im 14 and i loved that show so when i hear they canceld it. it broke my heart. i wanted to punch the computer screen. it isnt that grown up if i liked it im one of the most inmature people ever and i loved it. so you know what i have to say to syfy you lost one of your only GOOD shows.

May 9, 2013 at 4:25 pm
(88) brian clubb says:

i agree eureka is a great show there a really good story plot and its a great show. besides a hate a clif hanger do eureka and renton return and actually get to be a family with the kids or not?

May 9, 2013 at 4:29 pm
(89) brian clubb says:

i agree with craig on that subject

May 13, 2013 at 1:05 am
(90) Ken says:

I have to ask, where does one go when all the shows that one enjoys to watch, are canceled and the only things on tv are stupid reality shows that have nothing to do about reality? For the past 10 years sci-fi shows and movies have been going to the wayside, while they keep producing crap reality shows. I will definitely miss Eureka. But what do you expect….
Science Fiction takes Imagination and Intelligence. The ability to dream. Which is something that is lacking with today’s cable stations.

May 14, 2013 at 10:35 am
(91) Bob says:

The problem is most people watch tv shows online now instead of on the TV and that’s the only ratings they can go by…..same thing happened to stargate universe

May 19, 2013 at 2:57 am
(92) DJ Martin says:

This show is awesome….pls cont. it….former veteran of the OIF war.

May 28, 2013 at 11:46 pm
(93) Giovanni Cetina says:

I love this show and hate know they left me off like that….

May 30, 2013 at 8:48 pm
(94) deborah Lee says:

Is it possible to consider following up the series with movies. Such as Star Trek did?

I believe that if you have that many folks who enjoy the series they would really enjoy a movie and it would be a little less taxing on the crew.

Just a thought,
Blessings to you in Jesus

June 7, 2013 at 3:53 am
(95) Dave says:

I love eureka, just got into S5 now watch it religiously.

Unfortunately…. idiots cancel another good show.

June 16, 2013 at 10:01 am
(96) WIll says:

All this because there was not enough money for two companies merging to get a big enough slice of the pie.

I wonder if they want to sell SyFy.