1. Entertainment

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

H.G. Wells Gets Warehouse 13 Spin-Off

By May 16, 2011

Jaime Murray as Helena Wells in (I)Warehouse 13(/i).

Jaime Murray as Helena Wells in Warehouse 13.

© Syfy

As if determined to prove that it's more interested in fantasy dramedy than serious sci-fi, Syfy has announced a spin-off from Warehouse 13 featuring Jaime Murray's character, the duplicitous Helena (H.G.) Wells.

The project is in the early stages of development, but it is being backed by Warehouse 13 showrunner Jack Kenny. The plan is to set the series during Wells's lifetime, before she was "bronzed" (i.e., frozen in time by Warehouse authorities), and to imbue the show with a "steampunk" aesthetic. Its start date has not been announced.

Warehouse 13 itself is due to premiere its 13-episode third season on July 11, with new recurring cast member Aaron Ashmore. In its second season, in which Wells at first aided and then betrayed the Warehouse team across six episodes, the show averaged 3.4 million viewers, making it Syfy's biggest scripted hit series.

The premise sounds intriguing, and there's no question that the glamorous Murray, a British veteran best known for her appearances on Dexter, can anchor a series--despite the utter failure of the last show she headlined, Valentine. That literally bottom-rated show was a disaster from its ill-omened moment of conception, and Murray, deservedly, emerged scot-free. Since then, in addition to her gig on Warehouse she's appeared on The Beautiful Life and Spartacus: Gods of the Arena.

Plans are far from firm, but it's possible that the spin-off concept will be introduced in the main Warehouse series in a cross-over episode.
Follow me on Twitter  |  Follow me on Facebook

Comments

February 1, 2012 at 3:10 am
(1) Voila says:

Warehouse 13 gets 20 episodes and a spin-off for H.G. Wells ! Starting in Spring 2012 SyFy boosts Warehouse from just 13 episodes to an EPIC 20 Episodes (WOOT WOOT), beginning in March/April 2012, having finales in Autumn 2012. Helena’s show (H.G. Wells’ show is collaborating with Warehouse 13 AND SANCTUARY ! ) is set for release in Autumn 2012, along side the finales of WH13 and Premieres of SANCTUARY ! COOL ! =)

March 23, 2012 at 3:34 pm
(2) emch2609 says:

she doesn’t die then…. -.-

April 6, 2012 at 12:42 am
(3) Know_won_seas says:

@emch2609 yes, she probably does die at the end of season 3, but it says that this new series could be from BEFORE she was bronzed… when she fisrt was an agent in England.
It sounds to me to be more of a prequal for the H.G. character so we have a better understanding of why she did all she did to Mika and why she wanted to destroy the world.
I rather think her further character development will be good.

May 9, 2012 at 9:42 am
(4) KrustyNuts69 says:

Yes – Thank goodness! Loving Warehouse 13 so much – got me kids watching it now! (Well, not my youngest, she’s only 8 weeks – but there’s time…).

So pleased this series is continuing.

May 24, 2012 at 8:38 am
(5) Rocher says:

If the writers are smart, which I hope they are, they will not let her “DIE“… She is after all H G Wells, the possibilities are endless!!! Time machine hello, we all remember that, it is seldom or ever that 2 woman share so much onscreen chemistry, it will be a pity if they do the whole prequel thing, if they do please bring her back PLEASE !!! The franchise is enormous!!! Syfy at is best Warehouse 13, Sanctuary and HG Wells … I really wish there is a man/woman/ writer with half a brain who can really run with these stories … and not ruin this great idea … ;-)

June 18, 2012 at 6:19 am
(6) Teemofie says:

The obvious solution to HG being killed is Artie using the stopwatch to go back in time and getting the forcefield to contain the blast rather than just HG! problem solved, warehouse back!

June 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm
(7) BobbyCanuck says:

If you really really need to get a proper eye full of this lovely lass…Spartacus: Gods of the Arena

I think I am in love

September 18, 2012 at 11:35 am
(8) Matthew says:

Awwww yeah! Is gonna be so easy to see how this will play out! HG in the present evading the Brotherhood while she thinks about her life! Whatsmore… she can’t trust anyone! Finaly a decent female si-fi character doing the whole ‘one person against the world’ type thing… good good!

October 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm
(9) James says:

Warehouse 13 is easily SiFi’s best show and H.G. is one of the most charismatic characters so can’t wait for season 4.5!
Any news on the H.G. Wells prequel spin-off? I thought it was supposed to start Fall 2012. That’s now!

January 31, 2013 at 11:47 am
(10) mudme1234 says:

I’m not too keen upon the idea of strong women characters bonding romantically in Warehouse 13 as implied with the H.G. Wells and Myka characters. It dilutes Myka’s strength. It’s a backdoor sexism.

April 10, 2013 at 8:04 am
(11) Voilà says:

I just watched seasons 1-4./-5, straight through for the purpose of H.G. Wells’ Warehouse 13 Spinoff. I watched for the back-story of H.G. Wells; her connectedness to the agents/regents, her character’s embedded past-visions, memories, etcetera.

Basically, I marathon-watched for Helena’s best timed period selection, Just because Downton is a 3 season megahit, that doesn’t mean Warehouse 12′s script should be chosen, although, the actors that are chosen are perfect.

I see why it was so important to stop the show Sanctuary, moving Amanda Tapping to a more “Prime-Time” channel and spot within the WB, mixing with the Winchester brothers and Castiel within Supernatural. The characters in Sanctuary portray very different views of Nikola Tesla and, of course of Wells. Maybe moving the H. G. Wells TV show to a prime-time channel will give Warehouse 13 some better numbers, as well. Expected characters include Nikola Tesla as well as M. C. Escher. I have yet to see an M. C. Escher portrayal!

I hope for cross-over characters. Maybe Nikola Tesla is bronzed in WH13?

Further, Agreeing with Post #10, after reading the Helena G. Wells Wikipedia write-up, the notation of Myka and H.G. “romantic and sexual undertones” & ” lesbian subtext, and then some,” While watching this, I see two sisterly gals, who truly adore and admire each other for their accomplishments and minds. I see admiration across the screen, if Myka is to have a love-interest with H.G., she needs to tune her acting a little bit, no offense at all. The Comic-Con and Panel interviews by the actor Joanne Kelly are the only statements that I’ve read/seen that refer to this, so, I believe season 5 (soon to be ‘formally season 4.5′) would display a love interest but that has not been broadcast, so, in my opinion, Wikipedia is WRONG in stating that these two characters have been broadcast as lesbian/love-interest/sexual-undertones… what-have-you…

Off-screen interviews are interpretations and are not necessarily passed through the editing process.

Having so many Sherlock Holmes shows on Primetime channels and, being pretty-much omnipresent, in general, H. G. Wells’ Warehouse spinoff is a big hit (idea), possibly for a different channel within the NBC Universal / Comcast umbrella, a standard channel, Prime-Time.

Anyway, This post is from 2011 May. It is now 2013 April.

When this news hit the airwaves, everyone loved the idea so much that even SyFy was announcing it in 2011, Toronto shooting schedules were being adjusted, haha ! People want Both of these shows.