1. Entertainment

Chuck Renewed, One Last Time

By May 16, 2011

Zachary Levi and Yvonne Strahovski star in (I)Chuck(/i).

Zachary Levi and Yvonne Strahovski star in Chuck.

© NBC

NBC has granted perennial bubble-dweller Chuck a "fifth and final season" of at least 13 episodes, despite annual speculation that the ratings-challenged, enthused fan-base series would finally be cancelled.

The announcement that Chuck would cap its story after the next half-season was both a reprieve and a deferred cancellation, since it made certain that the season 5 finale would be the series finale as well. In the process, Chuck will also move from its traditional berth on Monday nights to Fridays, where it will be followed by new supernatural series Grimm, making room on Mondays for a weekly version of The Sing-Off, the a capella singing competition previously airing in Decembers.

The news caught web commentators somewhat by surprise: everyone knows how strong Chuck's fanbase is in terms of commitment, but the growing consensus was that the show's basic idea--computer nerd turns spy and gets the girl--had played out to its logical conclusion this year, with Chuck established as an A-list spy and proposing to Sara (Yvonne Strahovski), the agent who was once his handler and who's now his partner/girlfriend. Meanwhile Chuck was slipping in the ratings--the show averaged 5.6 million viewers and a 2.0 rating among adults 18-49 this season, which scrapes the bottom and then some for a network scripted drama.

The creative team certainly know where their bread is buttered. Tweeted creator Josh Schwartz: "The passion of the CHUCK fans has been heard again... We are all truly lucky to have the greatest fan base on tv. Thank you. ... I will have more details soon ... Very happy for the cast and crew."
Follow me on Twitter  |  Follow me on Facebook

Comments

May 17, 2011 at 12:59 pm
(1) Kili says:

Those calculating ratings need to get with the technology. I am often not available during the regular timeslot for “Chuck”, but I watch EVERY episode, whether on “on demand” or on the website — they all get watched. But the way ratings are currently calculated, those views do not count. Since “Chuck” is a “geek-friendly” show and I would suspect watched by those who have at least some technological savvy — I suspect there are a large number of people playing “catch-up” on watching the show after it airs. Do we really not count? We watch ads too when we play it later, and that should count.

The network needs to pull the numbers from webviews and on demand and then figure out how this show stands. I’m betting the numbers are far higher than they realize.

May 17, 2011 at 1:03 pm
(2) Kili says:

By the way — I LOVE the notion of Morgan being the intersect for a while….. they could run for quite a while on that premise. Although I have to admit, I was expecting Ellie to get zapped back when she was playing with the laptop and figured out the password.

The spins they added this last episode could keep them going for quite a while if they decided to play them through. They left themselves with so many possible angles to play through that the show could have new life easily.

May 23, 2011 at 10:20 am
(3) Brian R. says:

If NBC was smart they’d throw it a full 22 episode season. That would bring the show to the magic 100th episode, and syndication. They’ve invested this far, might as well see it through!

May 24, 2011 at 3:09 am
(4) Steven says:

I very much agree with the comments of 1,2, & 3 posters.
I’m a big Chuck fan, & more often than not I’ll watch Chuck after it’s recorded on my DVR. Sometimes the channel that airs Chuck will mess up for me, so I’ll have to watch it online later. Ultimately, though, I end up repeatedly watching Chuck episodes online anyway, whether I’ve watched it on my DVR or not.
I also feel the way Chuck: Season 4 ended was awesome & I would think it’d breathe a kinda’ ‘new life’ so to speak. With the ways they could go about the story with Chuck now, I’d think they could pull at least another 2-3 seasons out of it, MAYBE properly concluding the series by it’s would-be 6th or 7th Season or so.

May 28, 2011 at 1:26 am
(5) g33kinikki says:

I too agree with the above posters! I’m a hulu / netflix girl! I can’t tell you the last time I sat down to watch a show on an actual t.v. These broadcasting companies need to get it together I don’t understand why they can’t pool the numbers from hulu or from their own websites and include those in their viewer totals? Stupid networks.

June 4, 2011 at 4:22 pm
(6) kbean says:

Of course you are all right… I never watch Chuck “live” but have finally caught up with the entire season. What you have to remember is that the network is looking for advertiser information so they don’t care if you watch every episode only if you watch every commercial. I tired to watch one episode live this year and it was terrible not being able to skip past the commercials. This is the new challenge for commercial television. How do you make us watch the commercials when we want to record and watch later? Because Chuck’s fanbase is tech savy, for the most part, it is the first mainstream show that has this problem. It won’t, however, be the last. When was the last time you watched any show live? I can’t remember watching anything live in the last year except sports.

June 6, 2011 at 10:28 am
(7) Sam says:

Get with the times. Shows go into syndication now with as little as 80 episodes, and with this last order, Chuck will make it over that number. It will live in syndication if the demand is there for it. As mentioned, a lot watch on the web/DVR/alternate media, but the advertisers still only care about what NBC pulls in (DVR users can skip ads, web does not show the same ads).

I think 13 is enough – it will close up the loop of Chuck without the intersect, Morgan with the intersect, and the married life of Chuck and Sarah. The creator (Fedek) has been good at making fans happy (the ending this season was reagarded by just about everyone as excellent), so there are hopes for closure in three months in the fall – here is hoping!

June 29, 2011 at 2:41 am
(8) kenny says:

I agree. Are they still collecting ratings from stupid attached devices? I never watch live TV anymore. Windows 7 media center. I often record whole seasons of shows and watch them all at once.

July 28, 2011 at 5:57 pm
(9) pw says:

We DVR the show and watch it later. So they’re not counting our viewership (which are 5 viewers sharing a TV)? How stupid these ratings can be; any numbers can be skewed to mean anything. Science isn’t the only thing filled with back doors and weasel speak, I guess, with “This ‘research’ suggests you fund us for this next project, where we will reverse our findings because we’ll suggest that as well”.

TV is the same way. Sad.

We love Chuck and want to keep watching!

September 2, 2011 at 5:24 am
(10) Dave says:

I agree with all these comments, I never watch live T.V as the adds make a half hour show go for an hour, In England there is never any decent shows on the T.V that I havnt seen a dozen times before, the powers that be must be rakeing in the money from adds and T.V licensing.

September 7, 2011 at 3:52 am
(11) Patrick says:

I too do not have time on Monday nights to watch all the different shows that are very good on Monday nights, but I either TIVO them or buy the PPV versions off of I-tunes. Shows like Chuck with drama going on every week, I prefer to watch “after the fact” where I can watch week after week all at once. Shows like House I can stand to watch each week because there isn’t always a storyline I have to wait for each week. That’s how these reality type shows are as well. The way people watch TV today is a LOT different than it used to be. I know that my kids prefer to watch episodes of these shows from the network site that is filled with commercials that you just cannot zip through. That’s why I don’t watch them that way. I will pay $40 to watch an entire season with no stupid commercials. They should count those ways of how people watch to set ratings as well.

September 7, 2011 at 4:04 am
(12) Patrick says:

One other thing advertisers should take into account. I actually went to Subway and tried that Sub that they use on Chuck, and Advertisers need to realize that so many people watch episodes with DVR and such, so Product placement is vital. I purposely go to Subway because they were a show sponsor apparently. I also bought firestone/bridgestone tires at one time because they supported my favorite racing (CART Indy) at one point. I am a loyal subscriber to companies that are innovative and find ways to get around DVR and all that stuff but still get their product seen in my favorite shows. Is that product placement cheesy sometime? Maybe, but it doesn’t always have to be. They can make it subtle. Anyway, I think cancelling Chuck is a bad idea. I wish they had never killed off Chuck’s father, I assumed his mother was the one that would die in the last show instead of Sarah being the target, but somehow, she lives through it, which I thought was hokey, since everybody else died instantly from that weapon. Just my thoughts.

September 26, 2011 at 8:23 am
(13) spider says:

maybe they should do less commercial or come up with something else that’s the whole problem the commercials, not the time when it’s send, not the show it’s simply the network being greedy for money, time changes and only thing is changing is MORE commercials instead of less i hate commercials and walk away or switch the channel so either way i will never see them networks do not understand that they think we going to watch commercials like we are watching a tv serie just dumb! they rather risk their money with a new borring serie (mostly stupid police series) because they cheaper if i network does not care what we like and only think abut commercial money that is like giving a bad customer support in any company

Chuck should have at least more then 10 seasons best show ever cancel law and order, CSI crap series waste of time and money…….BORRING

September 30, 2011 at 3:51 pm
(14) Kevin says:

I can’t believe they are canning the show. I have seen every episode since the first and its my favorite series of all time! I think everyone can agree with me when I say this is a mistake…

October 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm
(15) MARY says:

Don`t take CHUCK off of TV, I LOVE The show. I miss it when it`s not on,and I wait and wait and WAIT till IT IS.

November 21, 2011 at 11:21 am
(16) KiKi says:

I am new to Chuck. Found about the series after my children saw “Tangled”. I was hooked after the premiere episode! I think it takes great writing talent to combine silly humor and drama, and still be believable. I laughed at all the right places, and followed the more dramatic plot line just as closely. I also think the actors did a great job. Zachary Levi is brilliant in the role. Too bad it didn’t get at least 5 full seasons, but glad I found it nevertheless. I purchased all 4 seasons and will add the 5th season to collection when it comes out.

November 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm
(17) bravo3edge says:

I don’t know what I’m going to do without Chuck. I might have to kill myself.

December 9, 2011 at 1:54 am
(18) Mo says:

Nbc needs to get a clue. I too watch chuck either on Hulu or via DVD. I own all 4 seasons on DVD. Plan to purchase season 5 when it’s available. When NBC has a show that people like they go head and cancel it. It’s unfortunate why don’t you cancel Grimm I have no interest in watching it.

Thanks

December 24, 2011 at 10:32 am
(19) Savannah Nortangle says:

This is totally unacceptable. Chuck is amazing. The plot where a nerd geek become a spy is totally new to the world of tv shows. This shouldn’t be happening. And yes! Usually I watch Chuck online because I didn’t have the time to watch it live. Dont cancel it NBC.

January 7, 2012 at 5:13 pm
(20) Charles Carmichael says:

I am the biggest chuck fan NBC should make more seasons this show is awesome everyone loves it so make more seasons !!!!! :)

January 9, 2012 at 11:57 am
(21) donna says:

They need to continue this show! Too many fans! It hasn’t played itself out at all! Lester or Jeff should be the next intersect!

January 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm
(22) J C says:

I LOVE CHUCK. HOW could it be cancelled. Listen, if everyone were a Neilsen family, things would be different. I’m a college grad and was successful for 25 years in business. I think that a a good deal of these Neilsen families must not be too bright. They keep some of these moronic shows on and let the good-fun-ones go. Grey’s Anatomy stays on, and it is one of the most ridiculous shows on TV. NO doctor acts they way they do. Oh, thank God they haven’t cancelled The Good Wife or Harry’s Law. I’ve tried again and again to watch The Big Bank Theory, but I still find it stupid and not very funny at all. Shows like Blue Bloods, Revenge, Castle, Body of Proof, Unforgettable and Pan Am give us something to “chew on.” Leave our shows alone. Let us enjoy SOME kind of decent programing.

January 11, 2012 at 1:06 am
(23) Andrew says:

Chuck is one of the few shows i ever watch on tv, other than movies, news or sports. i dont understand the cancellation at all. First the networks kill 2-1/2 Men now Chuck. TV is moving back into suckdom.

January 16, 2012 at 10:36 pm
(24) AMP says:

I love CHUCK! My family has watched from the beginning. We too watch online and from our DVR. It was refreshing to be able to watch a program week after week that was fresh and interesting. It seems like a very poor decision to cancel CHUCK. I don’t understand why the networks cancel the best shows. CHUCK will be missed very much.

January 20, 2012 at 3:48 pm
(25) lethalfire says:

I also agree that I do NOT want to see Chuck cancelled, it is one of VERY few shows that me and my family will actually watch. There is soooo much junk and garbage on t.v. anymore PLEASE don’t take away one of the actual GOOD shows.
We are busy as everyone else also and almost never watch Chuck or any shows for that matter LIVE, we DVR them and watch them all together when we have time. Who has time for commercials anymore?

Please reconsider, and don’t cancel Chuck.

January 20, 2012 at 6:20 pm
(26) MBob3000 says:

I watched Chuck religiously(on-line) until he dumped the super good actor, beautiful lady that was Lana Lang in Smallville(can’t remember her name). I know they had to write her out because she wasn’t a spy, but after that I kept hoping against hope that she would come back (as a bad spy?). It became unberable, and I don’t watch anymore. Don’t make the second love interest’s character more compelling than Sara! She should have been cast as Sara.

January 20, 2012 at 9:13 pm
(27) barbara says:

Wow Chuck is one of my favorite tv shows. Maybe the network could have a change of heart.

January 21, 2012 at 8:13 pm
(28) chuckfan22 says:

Save chuck! I am so mad about this,I have never missed an episode and Im not ready for it to end!

January 21, 2012 at 11:34 pm
(29) Elinn Truss says:

I haven’t been a Chuck fan for very long but I have seen every single episode in about a 1.5 months and I can’t believe they are just going to end the show right when I was completely smitten with it. Chuck Sarah John Casey and Morgan you will all be missed!!!!!! :(

January 22, 2012 at 8:06 am
(30) MPR1978 says:

I totally agree, I am in Australia and have to watch it online, then wait for it to come on iTunes to download. It really deserves a 22 episode final season, anything else is a cop out by NBC.

January 23, 2012 at 11:42 am
(31) NF says:

They can’t cancel Chuck, that’s my favorite show. It killed me over the idea that it’s over.

January 23, 2012 at 11:51 am
(32) Patty Perry says:

Chuck is Brilliant as a TV show, and all the Charaters are a great group. It gets the interest of the young people and also teaches us baby boomers what all the computer savvy is all about. Its a shame the commercials have to rule the life of the show, and not the fan base. We would NEVER cancel something that has so much potential and humor, and is more entertaining than anything since I Love Lucy !!!!

January 28, 2012 at 1:28 am
(33) George Henry says:

I agree with other folks. Due to circumstances, I don’t have regular TV and am not measured in these metrics – this show is phenomenally good, and I will personally start a “draft chuck” campaign to get this show re-started if the network executives are dead-wood enough to really let this gem be thrown into the river. Seriously, I’d pay money. I don’t pay money for ANYTHING. I’d pay money. Listen up, execs. I don’t care if it’s DVD/online-only, do something novel and break ground for once a half a century.

January 28, 2012 at 2:34 pm
(34) Zack says:

I think cancelling Chuck is a very bad move! I live in Israel and have watched every episode! I love it! It’s downloaded and watched every week! PLEASE BRING IT BACK! And I think the writers have already proven how much it was improved. The 5th season has been cliffhanger after cliffhanger. I couldn’t want to see what happens next!

January 29, 2012 at 12:57 pm
(35) adam says:

I think comment 33 has a great idea. If the show isn’t good enough to put on Airtime then put it on DVD or online-only. That way we both get what we want. We get the show that we have come to love and the corporation gets the money that they live for. I believe that if we establish a strike of some sort we may get what we want out of it. Perhaps not watching NBC on Monday when Chuck did air and on Friday at the time it got moved to. I am sure with all the social networking that we do these days we will be able to establish something in no time. If we post it now we have a chance for the strike to go viral by next Friday when chuck should have aired. It is a matter of getting to the Neilson test families and having them be 50% of our voice while we do what we can to protest this intolerable act.

January 31, 2012 at 3:38 pm
(36) clara says:

I really hate that they have taken chuck off, this was a really good show and I watched it every time. The people in it are like family and that is what we need heart and family. I would like to see this show come back on.

February 4, 2012 at 1:29 pm
(37) revocrednu-spy says:

This Is Ridiculous! I am agast that they would even consider cancelling CHUCK again after the outsry from the viewers last time around. What the networks should be doing is ridding themselves of shows that are utterly pointless like: Grimm, The Voice, The SIng-Off, the nurmerous CSI’s, Grey Anatomy – I could go on and on.
It is obvious from just these comments that CHUCK has a fan base around the world and we are incredibly devoted to it! What the show really needs is, not only fan support (though I’m sure it helps), but perhaps another sponser. Subway is great and I’m glad they help them out, but what about a computer company like Apple or Sony?
Please Please Please bring back our CHUCK!

February 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm
(38) Andy Alt says:

This is what happens to shows that are ahead of their time. Adam Baldwin had a pretty good run this time; quite a bit better than the single season of Firefly, another show ahead of its time.

I agree that the networks seem out of touch with the fan base. Web views and Amazon purchases should be counted. As upset as we are about Chuck’s cancellation, the Subway franchise will be hurt most all.

February 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm
(39) Ernie says:

i have never seen Chuck on television when it was on. my son suggested we would like this and we ended up seeing it on the computer all 5 seasons in less than 6 months… so the company that records numbers in 2012 are in the dark ages.. who watches tv anymore ? plus we live in the middle east so expats are likely never incliuded in their rating numbers !
when the complete series comes out on DVD box set i will not just buy it for myself but for friends as well…the characters were lovable, the emotions were real (super acting) and the stories were brilliant. Bravo to a great series ! i am sure that those that have missed this series will discover it thru amazon later !

February 11, 2012 at 4:06 am
(40) Maria R. says:

I absolutely loved Chuck. The show made me happy and it never disappointed. It is such a shame that the show ended, but it did make sense to end it at the fifth season rather than letting it have an abrupt, incomplete ending with no closure. The plot and character development was wonderful along with the inclusion of guest stars like Scott Bakula, Brandon Routh, Linda Hamilton, Mini Anden, Timothy Dalton, John Larroquette, Bruce Boxleitner, Morgan Fairchild and more.

Throughout the years that the show aired, I did not have a television or cable and I watched Chuck online. It seems to be an oversight to base a show’s rating on television viewership only, since so many people use computers nowadays. Hopefully, rating methods will be able to fully capture viewership both on television and online.

February 11, 2012 at 11:16 am
(41) Stephanie says:

We are heartbroken that NBC has decided to cancel Chuck. It is the one show that we could & did watch as a family. We have children ranging from 18 to 10. It is impossible to find a show out there that is both appropriate and entertaining for the WHOLE family. Chuck was it!
We like most everyone here, have very busy schedules. We either DVR or stream it online. We have past seasons on DVD that we took with us to our vacation home that has no cable.
Sad to see the series end but more than that, sad that one more “family” friendly show is gone.

March 3, 2012 at 5:53 am
(42) russell says:

If nbc is not smart enough to bring chuck back I hope a different network will it is a great show

March 31, 2012 at 10:25 am
(43) Brandon says:

This was bs, it was a good show and they decided to cancel it, what the he’ll!!! What show is supposed to replace Chuck for me? Well none because there wasn’t a show lik chuck but now it’s gone, hope your happy

April 1, 2012 at 2:01 pm
(44) stevo says:

i’m just praying that they miraculously change their mind and let it continue. the way it ended was not satisfying but i just got into it watching all five season in a couple weeks. now its over. BRING IT BACK SOMEHOW!

April 12, 2012 at 2:51 pm
(45) chrissi says:

It’s absolutely disgusting that such a fantastic show like Chuck is going off the air – we struggled to get the series in the UK – heck, show it a little more you’ll 100% find out you still have a massive fan base – not just “scraping the bottom” – I won’t name names, but there are some truly, and I mean TRULY awful shows out there that come back year after year despite the rubbish that they entail. And no, the idea that the base line story of chuck coming to a “natural end” is not true at all. I am not criticizing season 5 at all, but it was like the writers rushed through all the last ideas they had and didn’t play out some stories like they could have done. I love stories like this, and I was so hoping that chuck would end up with the intersect in his head all over again. It’s obvious that enough people DO NOT want chuck off the air, why don’t people listen?

May 15, 2012 at 3:36 pm
(46) JS says:

Bring back CHUCK! Another season or a made for TV movie or put it on another network!

June 17, 2012 at 1:43 pm
(47) Blake the fag says:

I loved this show and u canceled it! Bring it back! Bring it back! Bring it back!

June 19, 2012 at 11:49 am
(48) Chloe-ChuckFan says:

They should not have scrapped Chuck!
I only recently found Chuck. I was trying to watch the first episode of Community because family had highly recommended it. I went to a link for community group and instead of its pilot the pilot for Chuck started and i was hooked. ( I have never bothered to look for community since)
Unfortunately, this was in early spring 2012 and I had to go back to college so I only was able to watch a few episodes at a time but since school ended I have watched every single episode at least once but season one I watched twice because I showed it to friends. (Who are also hooked)
I didn’t watch because I didn’t know about chuck — it stands to reason there are others like me.
This is the best tv show I have ever watched. Subway is my #1 choice of fast food restaurants.

June 27, 2012 at 6:53 pm
(49) mavmarek says:

I am heartbroken that they ended chuck.

I have watched every episode in the last 2.5 months and all i could think about was getting home from work to watch the next one.

I know they could have stretched it out to 25 episodes and even that would have provided some comfort. Had the show declined in quality and then been cancelled cause they ran out of ideas then it would have been OK, but to me it was still peeking.

It to me was the first show they I have enjoyed completely every episode on the last 5 years and provided an escape that no other show has provided with its humor, originality and superb characters and acting. I believed every scene and was sold on every feeling and emotion.

I know it was a show – but damn it why cancel awesome shows?

July 22, 2012 at 5:09 am
(50) Sitab says:

I would LOVE to see Chuck return for a season 6 or a movie even!!
I am from Bangladesh and here WE LOVE CHUCK!!!
And I believe Chuck shouldn’t have even be cancelled in the first place as even though Chuck had low ratings it was higher than the other shows on NBC like Community, 30 Rock, Park and Recreations etc.
SO please BRING BACK CHUCK!!!
PLEASE!!

July 28, 2012 at 2:45 am
(51) Josh72601 says:

Chuck Must be renewed for a sixth season! I mean, Wow… I along with at least 14 other people I know have watched this show from the get go. And Ending a show like this, Is like the start of WW3! This is one show that has it all! Action, drama, comedy, suspence, and charm. If this show ends… Then Im done with the network! Also, This show shows everybody that has seen at least one part of an episode, how no matter what your life is like… That it can always get better and that the dreams of the future, are possible. I am 22 years old, work 15 hour days, and all I want to do, is come home and watch this show. If it ends, All I have to watch is Castle. And I doubt that will last, seeing as Chuck is not being renewed. Renew this show, or Im just ditching cable all together! And if there is anyone that has half a brain…. YOU will do the same..

August 17, 2012 at 1:45 pm
(52) Linda says:

I think the reason they wanted to cancel chuck is so they can work on another series. Alot of times these creators of shows have all these ideas, and they want to see if their ideas can be put to screen and be successful. Alot of times they choose to cancel an existing series they are working on to have more time for their other ideas. Its dumb because alot of people grow to love an original series after its been on for a long time, and then the series gets cancelled after it starts to get good on its story. canceling a show leaves people wondering about certain things that were not made clear or what would of happened if the show kept on. And then the ending sometimes makes no sense at all. Often the creators other ideas don’t always make for good television. They should stick to a show until the end, and really put some thought into their other ideas.

December 21, 2012 at 4:03 am
(53) gwkiwinz says:

This is by far the greatest TV show I have ever watch. If they stream this show via the web to all countries it would have by far the biggest ratings and its greatest fan base could even help to bring support in many ways than just by watching the show… Think outside the square NBC… BRING BACK CHUCK… I’m waiting on the good news… Please make 2013 a great year NBC. Cheers..

January 11, 2013 at 8:31 am
(54) Chuck Fan says:

I just finished watching the entire series online again and was a loyal watcher every week from the start. I have’t seen a show in a long time that was this good and made me want to watch every week. I am extremely disappointed it’s over, but think that they left the show open to keep going. Also the finally left you wanting more not progressing to a storied ending. If they wanted to give an end they would’ t have had the final scene with Chuck and Sara together on the beach kissing to see if Morgan’s idea would work. They would have had Sara really leave and had Chuck at the “Buy More” with things coming full circle back to the way they were, or something different than what they did. I guess my point is. They left it open for continuation, so do us all a favor and CONTINUE IT!!!!!!!!! Things just aren’t the same without CHUCK…… Please bring it back!