1. Entertainment

A Look at Palicki as Wonder Woman

By March 19, 2011

Adrianne Palicki as Wonder Woman.

Adrianne Palicki as Wonder Woman.

© Justin Lubin/NBC

Go to larger image
 Go to Image Gallery
Trying to imagine David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman? NBC has provided a little help, in the form of star Adrianne Palicki all decked out in a reenvisioned Wonder Woman, which will also star Cary Elwes and Elizabeth Hurley.

The new body-hugging costume is somewhat of a departure from the traditional outfit worn by Wonder Woman both through most of her history in the comics and by Lynda Carter in the original television series. Notably, instead of the star-spangled briefs we have full leggings, with stars down the side and blue boots instead of red; the bracelets are larger and silver instead of gold; and the red star, present before on Carter's tiara and bracelets, is a little more prominent, while the boots and bracelets feature a WW motif.

It's funny how you don't realize how iconic superhero costumes are until they're tampered with. And the traditional Wonder Woman costume is very iconic. It's true that sometimes costume revisions work in the comics themselves, as a variation—the multiple versions of the Spider-Man costume, for example, or the all-black Superman tights (realized in the flesh by Dean Cain). But I think they work primarily because they're dramatic variations that are intended to live alongside and complement, rather than contort, the bedrock, foundation look. (The earlier Wonder Woman series itself played with this, providing Carter with a full-body, solid-color aquatic variation alongside her regular look.)

Perhaps we'll have to see it in action to judge properly, but like Brandon Routh's costume in Superman Returns this outfit seems distracting in the wrong ways. It's like the costume designers were told to change as much as they could without changing anything, so everything ends up being a slightly different shape and tinted just a shade darker—different for the sake of being different. Plus, and this may be only me, but it looks both uncomfortable and frankly kinda cheap, as if Wonder Woman had chosen to deck herself out in Contact Paper. (My first thought was that they'd photographed the action figure toy by mistake!)

In other Wonder Woman news, it was revealed that Cary Elwes has joined the project as plays the CEO of Diana's company, Themyscira Industries. Hurley's character runs a pharmaceutical company that is creating a drug that makes people stronger; she's been described as an evil villain. And yes, the company name does have significance in ancient Greek: Themis was the goddess of law and justice.
Follow me on Twitter  |  Follow me on Facebook

Comments

March 20, 2011 at 11:26 pm
(1) WonderDisaster says:

This is an abomination to Wonder Woman & I hope David E. Kelley rotts in hell for destroying an icon . This Wonder Woman outfit looks like something from a Dollar Tree store or Halloween USA that hit the clearance rack at the end of the season because nobody wanted it at full retail. You might as well say DC Comics, Warner Bros. and Kelley have spit all over 70 years of history and the american flag being neither one are visible in this project. I HATE David E. Kelley for making Wonder Woman look like a street walker that skrink wrapped herself in colorful Glad trash bags. And all the W’s on this outfit is just plain nuts!!! When Lynda Carter put the original outfit on you knew she was Wonder Woman without having to be sold on it with a bunch of W’s everywhere. And this crappy storyline is a whole nother matter. Wonder Woman is destroyed and I hope this BS fails like the horrible Cathy Lee Crosby mess did in 1974. Hollywood NEVER learns. Upgrades fine, distorting and destroying an icon like Wonder Woman never. All involved need to be FIRED & in the unemployment line. ALL IDIOTS for this and should be embarresed for having your heads up your butts.

March 20, 2011 at 11:34 pm
(2) WonderDisaster says:

Sorry meant shrink wrapped in plastic. I am P*SSED about this!!!!

March 21, 2011 at 1:38 am
(3) JJ says:

WonderDisaster…You took the words out of my mouth. I actually chuckled a little because you were so descriptive and full of anger. LOL I so agree with you, they have thrown a rock in my proverbial beehive. I HATE,HATE, HATE her costume! I understand a little tweaking here and there to keep with the times but this is downright killing WW’s iconic image. It is slutty looking and cheap.

March 21, 2011 at 8:04 am
(4) Arealmanandnotsomefag says:

WonderDisaster needs to proof-read and correct his/her comments before posting. ie: rotts, nother (I think you meant “other”), and ….. wait for it …… embarresed! Also, American should be capitalized.

JJ sounds like a crybaby mommy’s boy that definitely needs a “little tweaking”.

What a couple of blades … LOL!!

As for Adrianne Palicki as Wonder Woman, all I can say as a real man is: WOW!!!!

I guess it takes a real man to appreciate the beauty of a woman. The costume fits her like a glove. WOW!!!

March 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm
(5) YRUaDoosh says:

@Arealmanandnotsomefag: A man thinking with his pecker and acting like that’s the only thing that matters; what a surprise. (9_9)

March 21, 2011 at 9:28 pm
(6) Catnap says:

I am not much of a wonder woman fan so I am not so much p****d, but yeah, that costume is pretty bad. It looks like she could not move or bend at all in it and like it is made out of cheap plastic. And realmanandnotsomefag I’m sure you would appreciate Lynda Carter in star spangled briefs too.

March 22, 2011 at 12:22 pm
(7) Ysondra says:

I would rather prefer this idea, changing somecolors and the actress (would it be possible, but I’m afraid it isn’t…).

April 1, 2011 at 9:37 am
(8) caloi says:

I HATE THE COSTUME TOO!!!!!! WHOEVER MADE/DESIGNED IT SHOULD EAT IT!

April 8, 2011 at 11:36 am
(9) bootz says:

GET RID OF THE PANTS. Is it really wrong to show more legs? WW has been an iconic figure for the past ….what 50 years? Did anybody say she looked slutty because she showed more legs? Why change the costume at all? Is covering her all up in blue latex something to do with political correctness??????

April 9, 2011 at 3:40 am
(10) Armon Jerrard says:

All I say is, I’ll give it 2 months if that then cancelled. Look, this is not the 70′s and this outfit is beyond weak. If your going to do Wonder Woman; comes correct. She deserves a big screen event and we all know NBC’s track record. DC, you need to step up your game, really.

May 16, 2011 at 11:08 pm
(11) missing Smallville says:

@ #4) Arealmanandnotsomefag:
You really need to think with your head (the one with the brain in it)! Go get your dictionary & look up “nother” —- You will see that it is in there & used correctly in that sentence!

Also, all the bashing you have done on spelling, calling names & the name you gave yourself are all really rude! You first have to grow up to be “a real man” so please do it – soon!!

As for Adrianne Palicki……… Ha Ha – WOW!!!! The “pilot CANceled before it even aired…… LOL!!