1. Entertainment

Ashmore Joins Warehouse 13

By February 18, 2011

Aaron Ashmore (Jimmy Olsen) in the season 6 premiere of (I)Smallville(/i).

Aaron Ashmore (Jimmy Olsen) in the season 6 premiere of Smallville.

© Michael Courtney/The CW

The relatively small cast of Syfy's hit series Warehouse 13 is getting a new member for this summer's season 3.

Syfy has announced the casting of boyish Canadian actor Aaron Ashmore (Smallville) to join its series Warehouse 13. He'll play new agent Steve Jinks (Jinks? Really?) who has the ability to tell when someone is lying. I wonder if they writers will remember this ability more often than they have Pete's "vibes"?

Season 2 ended with Myka walking away from the team, traumatized by H.G. Wells's betrayal. Jinks will be partnering with Pete as a fill-in for Myka, at the behest of Mrs. Frederic. How will this work out? Jinks's more concrete ability will likely lead him to bridle at Pete's more instinctive approach, at least at first. It's not clear at the moment what level of appearance Myka (Joanne Kelly) will have in season 3, or how durable Ashmore's role will be.

Ashmore played the increasingly troubled Jimmy Olsen--er, Henry James Olsen--on Smallville from 2006 to 2009, and before that and since has had a number of plum recurring and guest-starring roles in high-profile series.

Warehouse 13 is not only Syfy's most consistently top-rated show, but the scripted show in its roster most likely to do well with female viewers--so adding a cute male cast member, rather than automatically partnering Pete with another strong-minded woman, is an interesting but not surprising choice.
Follow me on Twitter  |  Follow me on Facebook

Comments

February 21, 2011 at 9:32 pm
(1) Bubba Ghandi says:

The writers of Warehouse 13 have to know that the fan base will drop away in droves once they betray the potential relationship between Myka and Pete. No matter how well or how cleverly they wrap episodes in michief and mayhem, it’s the banter and tensionl of the pivitol charaters that make this TV show work. 13 Year old girls are not the primary fan base of SyFy. A cute, CW look-a-like contest winner for boy of the year can not replace Myka’s appeal.

June 4, 2011 at 12:55 am
(2) MykaFan says:

You can count on this Warehouse13 watching gal to drop this from my list of shows to watch if Myka isn’t returning as a regular cast member. Of all the characters on the series the 2 I actually really care most for are Myka and, strangely, H.G. Wells.

It’s not that I don’t adore Pete – I do, he’s adorable, but Myka is what makes the show for me. I’m not even interested in whether there is ever a romantic relationship between the two characters – I just adore their interaction and chemistry on the show.

When will television folks learn to stop fixing what isn’t broke and to keep what works from breaking?

July 26, 2011 at 10:19 am
(3) Phil Aluise says:

I like the newest member of Warehouse 13…..Aaron Ashmore will definately add to the mix quite well, his good looks will help keep a strong fan base, that is if they can get by his openly gay character!!! I guess we will see how that plays out!!

June 24, 2012 at 12:13 pm
(4) Alan says:

If they bring back the “gay guy” that will end the show for lots of people. Sick of all the writers or producers adding some gay content..
makes the show unwatchable.

July 5, 2012 at 7:51 am
(5) TinaW says:

I will enjoy Warehouse 13 even through this change. I really like the premise and do not have to have Myka.

September 18, 2012 at 5:36 am
(6) Kevin says:

Poor, poor Alan – it must be terrible to live in a world where there are – gasp – actually gay people. And now – oh lordy – they’re actually on TELEVISION. Life must be a living hell for you if the mere presence of gays and lesbians on a TV show renders it “unwatchable”.

June 14, 2013 at 12:17 pm
(7) JillCitizen says:

Why do the execs at any network feel they are duty bound to expose everyone to their agenda??? Homosexuality is not ‘normal’ behavior despite their wishes and we will no longer watch nor allow our children to watch this once cute, albeit goofy, show. Bye, bye advertisers.

Yes Kevin, your lifestyle is distasteful and unnatural and most folks don’t care to have it slapped in their face. You should be used to that by now.